PDA

View Full Version : Bayou Black Help

EvinFord
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
A friend of mine is going to a boat dealer down south of Houma area so we were thinking of fishing Bayou Black area while down there and hitting up the dealer on the way back. Never been to Bayou Black but have heard good things about the bass fishing. A few questions/favors for saltycajun members:

How do you get there from Baton Rouge?
Where should I fish? (of course not coordinates, but just areas)
What baits should I be using? Is it similar to fishing the basin?
Any other tips you could give a bayou black fishing virgin?
-Jordan

Dink
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Oh man.......I just noticed something...........your screen name is very close to Kevin Ford(on pupose maybe?) but the kicker is that your real name is Jordan!!!! Man I bet you can't catch a fish to save your life!!!!!

EvinFord
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
HAHAHAHA...never thought about it like that, but yes they are very close. It is a nickname that I have used since I was in highschool. I have a ford explorer and I use to tow a freinds old flatboat with a 25hp Evinrude on it. Mold the two together and it made "EvinFord" and the name just stuck so it is my screen name on a few different forums.

But I promise, NOTHING to do with Kevin Ford.

-Jordan

fritz20
05-10-2010, 02:41 PM
How do you get there from Baton Rouge?
Where should I fish? (of course not coordinates, but just areas)
What baits should I be using? Is it similar to fishing the basin?
Any other tips you could give a bayou black fishing virgin?
-Jordan

1. I have been down there a bunch of times but we always use the GPS to get there. I couldn't tell you the exact names of the roads. Check google maps for directions and you want to launch at Bob's Bayou Black Marina.

2. In Bayou Black it is all about water color. You want that good tanic colored marsh water. Sometimes you can find fish in muddy or stained water, but I would search for clean water. There are about 1 million places to fish down there, but this time of the year I would check out the open marsh areas with lots of grass. Go get a map of the area and you will see what I am talking about.

3. In terms of lures down there I always throw: buzzbaits, frogs, lizards, beavers, jigs (normally during winter), brushhogs, senkos and flukes. I like watermelon red for cleaner water and black and blue for dirty water (I normally go with these colors regardless of where I am fishing).

4. My biggest tip would be find good water and use your map. There are tons of places to fish there and it can be quite overwhelming. When the fish are on you can smoke them!! If you are not getting bites run somewhere else. If the fish are there you will know it.