PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some bass spots

Mediumheavyaction6'6
05-13-2010, 07:21 AM
With all the recent closures of our coastal areas, I have been revisiting my first love of fishing. I have been hitting the bass pond close to my house nearly every night and now I have gotten the bug back. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to some bass fishing close to Baton Rouge. I am familiar with False River having grown up there but that is about the extent of my knowledge. Keep in mind I have a 16' Carolina Skiff, so I am not looking to make long runs or go into any open water. Any information will be exploited to the fullest and if payment of your info means a fishing trip, so be it.

speckdaddy
05-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Call me med heavy. I gots the info fer ya

fritz20
05-13-2010, 08:53 AM
What is a bass?

Mediumheavyaction6'6
05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
its an angry little freshwater fish that used to blow my skirt up. then i found this crack cocaine call saltwater fishing. i had all but forgot about the little green goblins then BP helped me realize they are fun to catch and a lot closer to home.

yak'em-n-stack'em
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
i remember my first addiction

EvinFord
05-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Speckdaddy, I am also curious about this if you don't mind sharing. I am back to bass fishing now that the coast is closed. I am going to try Bayou Black tomorrow and have never been there. Any information would be appreciated about Bayou Black or anywhere else in the area that is holding some green trout. Heading to the Bend in a few weeks to get my fix, but I need something before that trip in June. Thanks,

Jordan

speckdaddy
05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Speckdaddy, I am also curious about this if you don't mind sharing. I am back to bass fishing now that the coast is closed. I am going to try Bayou Black tomorrow and have never been there. Any information would be appreciated about Bayou Black or anywhere else in the area thatsomething before

Jordan. Buddy i can help ya out if ya fish false river but anywhere else im clueless. If ya are interested in false river , pm me and ill hook ya up

Gerald
05-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Does anyone have information [resent] about the area just north of Morganza, LA.

This area has many "bar pits" that use to have fairly good bass fishing......but this area could be all posted....not sure.

I use to fish this area....many many years ago.

Old River is about 15 to 18 miles farther north of False river. It is better fishing when the Mississippi river is steady of falling. The lake level changes with the Miss. river changes.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm from Morganza but I also have not fished those bar pits for a good 15 years. I will put in a call to my cousin who still lives there to find out how they are these days. If I remember correctly you took a 50/50 chance of being run off.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
My cousin says as far as he knows there is still some good bass fishing in those bar pits. I know when I was a kid we used to fish in what we called the cement pond. It was located just to the north of those pits on the same side of the road. It was across from the forebay. It was good for a mess a bass but that was again 15 years ago. I am sure a lot has changed since then.

Woodduck Commander
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
If you and yak'em can get a couple days off... We can hit Toledo... Me and yak have a camp and a boat there ready to go. And our dad is a bass-aholic so he knows the spots

Woodduck Commander
05-13-2010, 03:51 PM
i remember my first addiction

Mom's rice and gravy?

Mediumheavyaction6'6
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
If you and yak'em can get a couple days off... We can hit Toledo... Me and yak have a camp and a boat there ready to go. And our dad is a bass-aholic so he knows the spots

I think I am headed up that way 4th of July. Even if I make that trip, if I can get a few days off I would like to fish with you and Austin.

eman
05-14-2010, 08:42 PM
False river is still top notch if you know the secret.
Old river is fantastic once you hit 20' on the miss. guage at B.R. and falling

Gerald
05-14-2010, 09:04 PM
My cousin says as far as he knows there is still some good bass fishing in those bar pits. I know when I was a kid we used to fish in what we called the cement pond. It was located just to the north of those pits on the same side of the road. It was across from the forebay. It was good for a mess a bass but that was again 15 years ago. I am sure a lot has changed since then.

Are you talking about the bigger lake out from the spillway about a 1/4 mile or so?

We use to fish the pits closer to the north levee. We would go to the north levee and turn to the east and then go down from the levee to the road that headed back toward the spillway locks. We then took the first or second [don't remember which] road to the east. There are pits on both sides of this road.

As kids. we would fish from the bank. You had to watch carfully....there were lots big snakes up in the grass alone the bank. They would kind of look like a rabbits moving through the grass as they went into the water. If you used worms and a cork, a snake would come check it out.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
05-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Are you talking about the bigger lake out from the spillway about a 1/4 mile or so?

We use to fish the pits closer to the north levee. We would go to the north levee and turn to the east and then go down from the levee to the road that headed back toward the spillway locks. We then took the first or second [don't remember which] road to the east. There are pits on both sides of this road.

As kids. we would fish from the bank. You had to watch carfully....there were lots big snakes up in the grass alone the bank. They would kind of look like a rabbits moving through the grass as they went into the water. If you used worms and a cork, a snake would come check it out.

I think I know the pit you are talking about this one was pretty close to Hwy 1. It was right off the road to the north of the levee. It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly. I know there was a ton of alligators back there as well. We used to gig garfish back there when I was a kid as well. Gerald are you from that area?

Gerald
05-15-2010, 02:08 AM
I grew up in Baton Rouge. Our family went up to Morganza floodway farly often. I guess it was an easy [and cheep] place for the family to go spend the day fishing and picnic. We usually caught a few fish to bring home.

Dad bought a small outboard and then we could go up to Old River and rent a bateau. There was only 4 boat launches back then and just a handful of other camps. You might see 4 or 5 other boats out fishing on a normal weekend.