PDA

View Full Version : How's the water look

jpeff31787
06-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey, I know a lot of ya'll live pretty close to Big Lake. What has the water been looking like?? Last time i went with a south wind it was pretty dirty, just wondering if anything has changed. Thanks in advance

SULPHITE
06-18-2009, 11:29 AM
with these strong south winds I think it hasn't changed much...

jpeff31787
06-18-2009, 12:49 PM
so its still muddy huh Has anyone been catching?

adamsfence
06-18-2009, 06:36 PM
lake is clearing up still muddy but nowhere near what it was this weekend. west cove still pretty muddy. the washout is getting a little better to. if the wind will stay down it should clear up pretty soon

did ok today.we caught 2 around 23". alot of sand trout at jetties. also birds was working decent on south end of lake . didn't go north

jpeff31787
06-19-2009, 07:52 AM
thanks adamsfence. Any report helps me out A LOT. I live 2 hours away so anything that helps me decide to make that drive or not helps. We might just go to dularge or verm. bay

Feesherman
06-19-2009, 07:58 AM
thanks adamsfence. Any report helps me out A LOT. I live 2 hours away so anything that helps me decide to make that drive or not helps. We might just go to dularge or verm. bay

Keep in mind there is tourny on big lake tomorrow as well. Might want to avoid some traffic.

jpeff31787
06-19-2009, 09:16 AM
yikes.. thanks feesherman. I think you just saved my two hours lol Looks like i'll be heading to eugene island.

Gerald
06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
The water in the south end of Big Lake was good yesterday [Thur].

Good = 6" to 12" visibility just about everywhere. Some spots maybe slighly better.

Some birds feeding.....but usually moving a lot. I was getting strikes but no hookup.

I tried sand eels, grubs and then when I put on a curley tail white grub I started catching a few trout. After a while a figured out that they wanted a really fast retrieve.......after I caught a couple close to the boat while reeling in the last part of a cast.

I caught a couple in the Washout area and more along the south end of the Lake. I found fish when there were no birds around......you just have to have confidence in where you are fishing.

I caught some crabs and a few shrimp in the marsh. While there, a guy came to catch some Croaker for the tournement this weekend.

I ended up with a 96 qt ice chest full to the top with Trout, Reds and crabs. I made 4 neighbors happy with some fresh fish. Crab boil this evening....after it cools off a little.

adamsfence
06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
The water in the south end of Big Lake was good yesterday [Thur].

Good = 6" to 12" visibility just about everywhere. Some spots maybe slighly better.

Some birds feeding.....but usually moving a lot. I was getting strikes but no hookup.

I tried sand eels, grubs and then when I put on a curley tail white grub I started catching a few trout. After a while a figured out that they wanted a really fast retrieve.......after I caught a couple close to the boat while reeling in the last part of a cast.

I caught a couple in the Washout area and more along the south end of the Lake. I found fish when there were no birds around......you just have to have confidence in where you are fishing.

I caught some crabs and a few shrimp in the marsh. While there, a guy came to catch some Croaker for the tournement this weekend.

I ended up with a 96 qt ice chest full to the top with Trout, Reds and crabs. I made 4 neighbors happy with some fresh fish. Crab boil this evening....after it cools off a little.

I had trouble with hook ups yesterday to guess i should of reeled a little faster. we would get plenty of bites they just wouldn't take it.

The confidence thing is a problem with me. don't know the lake good enough and the spots i do know had 10 boats.

One more thing how do yall fish the croakers for trout. carolina or under a cork. I have never done this. I have only fished art.

jpeff31787
06-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Man if they didn't have that tournament there tomorrow, thats where i'd be heading. Does anyone have an idea of how many people are in the tournament. I've found a few spots that not too many people fish out there that I know of. I've only been there twice though, and this one spot doesn't attract too many people but it does fish lol

Gerald
06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
When using live bait, usually you will do better with a Carolina rig on the bottom but using a cork will work. If the water is not very deep, fish with a cork and you can adjust the depth to find what works the best. Using an "UN-Weighted" cork will help when casting the cork. This puts the weight away from the cork and helps prevent the bait from getting tangled up.

If you are fishing where there are oysters.....a cork will keep you from hooking to "bottom". Just set the depth so that the bait is closer to the bottom.

With live bait.....don't "set the hook" right away....give the fish time to get the bait into it's mouth. Waiting 3 to 10 seconds can increase your catch ratio.

If there is any current, using a swivel will help keep the the line from twisting.

Using a hook and not a jig head will allow the live bait to swim better.

adamsfence
06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
thanks gerald

Jordan
06-19-2009, 03:36 PM
IM fishing sunday on big lake... who wants to go with me ??? Pm me if interested...

Xpressboat908
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
thanks adamsfence. Any report helps me out A LOT. I live 2 hours away so anything that helps me decide to make that drive or not helps. We might just go to dularge or verm. bay .....earlier comment from Jepeff31787

Jpeff31787 not sure how much you know of the Dularge area. I recently started fishing their. Once you start to learn that area I do not think you will want to waste your time towards the West unless you want that monster trout. On two of my trips, we caught an average of 35 trout but most were 17-19" long ones all on Bayou Chubs. I have fished Big Lake a lot but never at the Jetties. I find at Big Lake either you catch a Monster/Wall Hanger or 13" trout. For trying to catch that Monster trout Yes Big Lake is one of the better if not the best place in the state. But for catching a two man limit where majority of the trout average 17-19" not gonna happen too often. You mostly see limits of 12-14" trout.

huntin fool
06-19-2009, 03:55 PM
thanks adamsfence. Any report helps me out A LOT. I live 2 hours away so anything that helps me decide to make that drive or not helps. We might just go to dularge or verm. bay .....earlier comment from Jepeff31787

Jpeff31787 not sure how much you know of the Dularge area. I recently started fishing their. Once you start to learn that area I do not think you will want to waste your time towards the West unless you want that monster trout. On two of my trips, we caught an average of 35 trout but most were 17-19" long ones all on Bayou Chubs. I have fished Big Lake a lot but never at the Jetties. I find at Big Lake either you catch a Monster/Wall Hanger or 13" trout. For trying to catch that Monster trout Yes Big Lake is one of the better if not the places in the state. But for catching a two man limit where majority of the trout average 17-19" not gonna happen too oftem. You mostly see limits of 12-14" trout.

me and W limited out a few weeks ago with a 2-4 lb average

Xpressboat908
06-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Fool great for you. Miracles do happen. I do not remember seeing that picture.

huntin fool
06-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Fool great for you. Miracles do happen. I do not remember seeing that picture.

no i was just saying when you do limit out it isnt always 12-14 in trout.

so the water was decent on the south end?