PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard searches for missing diver

Ray
06-21-2010, 04:46 PM
The Coast Guard is searching for a missing diver 30 nautical miles south of Intracoastal City, Saturday.
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans watchstanders received a report from Coast Guard Sector Houston/Galveston at approximately 1:30 p.m., that a group of divers aboard an 18-foot pleasure craft were spearfishing in the vicinity of Vermilion Block 124, when a fellow diver did not resurface.
A Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans MH-65C Dolphin rescue helicopter and crew launched and are currently searching the area along with Good Samaritan boats.

Ray
06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
The body of a diver that went missing while spearfishing 30 nautical miles south of Intracoastal City was recovered Sunday.
The body was recovered by fellow divers at approximately 3:40 p.m., and transferred to the Coast Guard Cutter Razorbill. The diver's body was transported to the Freshwater Bayou Marina in Vermilion Parish, where it was transferred to the Vermilion Parish Coroner's Office.
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans watchstanders received a report from Coast Guard Sector Houston/Galveston Saturday at approximately 1:30 p.m., that a group of divers aboard an 18-foot pleasure craft were spearfishing in the vicinity of Vermilion Block 124, when a fellow diver did not resurface.

LaAngler
06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
we were in the same area saturday, didn't see the dive boat but heard all the chatter on the radio.

terrible, he must have hung up in the rig for other divers to find him.

Jordan
06-21-2010, 05:02 PM
prayers sent to the divers family

Montauk17
06-21-2010, 07:56 PM
I figured it was not good when we heard it on the radio. Sucks a big one,I will keep the family in my prayers.

JESSE JAMES
06-23-2010, 06:23 PM
this was the diver, his name was BILLY CRAWFORD. PRAYERS TO HIS FAMILY.

FF_T_Warren
06-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Im sure it wasn't a good feeling for him right at the end, But He died doing something he loved. We should all be so lucky

Dink
06-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Story is he was free diving, speared fish and it dragged him turn far down for him to make it back up.....he cut his line, but not in time.........

FF_T_Warren
06-23-2010, 07:53 PM
dang, thats why you gotta get a quick release on that gun or just leave the gun. It aint worth it

Dink
06-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Thinking of a scenario like this will keep me up at night......my biggest fear is drowning

Montauk17
06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Thinking of a scenario like this will keep me up at night......my biggest fear is drowning

Same here...but in the other hand,I would love to go spearfishing. :shaking:

FF_T_Warren
06-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I can say, spearfishing is a blast but it is dangerous. you have a ton of things going on at one time and to top it all off, you gotta make sure you have enough air to get back up. Its definitely one of the funnest things I've ever done but definitely one of the most dangerous things too.

huntin fool
06-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I can say, spearfishing is a blast but it is dangerous. you have a ton of things going on at one time and to top it all off, you gotta make sure you have enough air to get back up. Its definitely one of the funnest things I've ever done but definitely one of the most dangerous things too.

Dude, I always wanted to go spear fishing, but i better have an oxygen tank! lmao..

Only problem, my luck some big arse shark decides he wants to sneak up...:shaking:

FF_T_Warren
06-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Dude, I always wanted to go spear fishing, but i better have an oxygen tank! lmao..

Only problem, my luck some big arse shark decides he wants to sneak up...:shaking:

Well I always spearfished with scuba. I only got scared by a shark one time. It was about 8-9ft long and swimming all around me and then it started coming out of the distance right towards me. it kept coming, and coming and finally I spun the gun around to hit it with the stock and soon as I rared back to smoke it, it turned off and swam off. they really dont mess with you much. Now I did get bit by a trigger fish once and I thought that sucker had just taken the tip of my finger off and I was wearing gloves. I just knew that my finger was gonna have a chunk missing when I pulled that glove off, but it was fine. It literally felt like someone grabbed my finger with a pair of pliers and was squeezing as hard as they could.

Ray
06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
A trigger fish bit my wife's arse in Mexico.
Next year one bit her ankle.
They were small black Triggerfish over there.
It came out the rocks and bit her, then back into it's hole.

YellaBlazer
06-23-2010, 09:17 PM
The gray trigger fish that's found in the Gulf is a vicious little ****. There are many a diver that's missing a piece of earlobe because of super aggressive triggerfish.

Thank goodness they don't get 20+ lbs, you won't be able to get in the water.

LaAngler
06-24-2010, 02:06 PM
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=106912&page=5

FF_T_Warren
06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=106912&page=5

sad stuff. Really amazing that they even found him