PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Rifles

CatDaddy
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
If you were to buy a sniper rifle, what would it be.... I know i would like a FN-Herstal 50cal, but they want 2500 for one...

But realisticly... What would you get, and why?

Does anyone have any first hand experiance with a 22-250?

longcast
06-30-2010, 08:16 PM
I hope your target is a certin *****.yea u thought about it like me. Lol

longsidelandry
06-30-2010, 08:17 PM
If you were to buy a sniper rifle, what would it be.... I know i would like a FN-Herstal 50cal, but they want 2500 for one...

But realisticly... What would you get, and why?

Does anyone have any first hand experiance with a 22-250?
All I know about a 22-250 is that I borrowed one to hunt with one time. it was a very flat shooting rifle if I remember right, barely had any kick also.

FF_T_Warren
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Um for a dream rifle I'd get a .416 cheytac.

But realistically for the best sniper rifle and next gun I will buy will be an xray 51 .308 from tac ops in Beverly hills. Guaranteed to .25 moa but most shoot well beyond that. Most are around .1moa and some even less than that. They are true works of art. The craftsmanship is second to none. $4500 for the xray 51. Just a gun and rings but u get what you pay for

LaAngler
06-30-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles.html

get a .308 so you can afford to get good with it

SULPHITE
06-30-2010, 08:52 PM
have no idea but would like to shoot a cool sniper rifle one day...

FF_T_Warren
06-30-2010, 10:37 PM
ugh, Im brain dead. I meant the .408 cheytac.

and hears a link to the Xray 51
http://www.snipercentral.com/xray51.phtml
or check out other models at
tacticaloperations.com

the site isn't that great but the guns are outstanding

speck-chaser
06-30-2010, 11:17 PM
308 dpms sass. gonna get one,saving money for it,got screwed the first go round.

LaAngler
06-30-2010, 11:46 PM
308 dpms sass. gonna get one,saving money for it,got screwed the first go round.

never saw any of that money? hopefully that company is not still operating.

speck-chaser
06-30-2010, 11:48 PM
nope, the company went bankrupt. I ended up finding the owner and sent emails to him. we emailed a few times,and he guaranteed me he would make it right,then my emails quit going through.

speck-chaser
06-30-2010, 11:54 PM
also check out the 338 lapua

CatDaddy
07-01-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles.html

get a .308 so you can afford to get good with it

ugh, Im brain dead. I meant the .408 cheytac.

and hears a link to the Xray 51
http://www.snipercentral.com/xray51.phtml
or check out other models at
tacticaloperations.com

the site isn't that great but the guns are outstanding

I cant open those sites out here... "Weapons and Guns" is filtered out by the companies internet policy.. Ill check em out when i get home tho!

FF_T_Warren
07-01-2010, 08:49 AM
heres some pics. all the engraving is hand done. the guy goes the extra mile on everything. All the screws are timed to where they all line up and match perfectly.

CajunSteelsetter
07-01-2010, 08:51 AM
There's lots of nice gun packages out there, that are really tack drivers, and deliver consistent sub moa accuracy in almost any condition. BUT, you're gonna pay a pretty penny for them too. If you're looking for something that's consistent and a lot cheaper than the good deployment package rifles, just build your own. Now you don't have to actually build it yourself per say, especially if you're not really gun savvy. But you can buy all the components that you like, and have it set up by a good smith for a really fair price. Personally in the field of a true sniper rifle, (not a bet a martini huntin rifle) .308 is the only logical choice. You'll do a lot of shooting, and 300 win mag burns up barrels too quick. Start with a rem 700 action as a base. Cheap and reliable ( hell the m24 the army uses is just a suped up rem 700). A Mcmillan stock is a must. Throw some good bases, rings, and get a decent leupold tac scope with mil dot reticle and you're set!

FF_T_Warren
07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
There's lots of nice gun packages out there, that are really tack drivers, and deliver consistent sub moa accuracy in almost any condition. BUT, you're gonna pay a pretty penny for them too. If you're looking for something that's consistent and a lot cheaper than the good deployment package rifles, just build your own. Now you don't have to actually build it yourself per say, especially if you're not really gun savvy. But you can buy all the components that you like, and have it set up by a good smith for a really fair price. Personally in the field of a true sniper rifle, (not a bet a martini huntin rifle) .308 is the only logical choice. You'll do a lot of shooting, and 300 win mag burns up barrels too quick. Start with a rem 700 action as a base. Cheap and reliable ( hell the m24 the army uses is just a suped up rem 700). A Mcmillan stock is a must. Throw some good bases, rings, and get a decent leupold tac scope with mil dot reticle and you're set!

One of the top builders is right here in louisiana. William Roscoe of Louisiana precision rifles. Great work at an affordable price(compared to other builders of the same quality)

Jordan
07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
heres some pics. all the engraving is hand done. the guy goes the extra mile on everything. All the screws are timed to where they all line up and match perfectly.

Warren--- this is your gun ??

FF_T_Warren
07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Warren--- this is your gun ??

No but it will be my next one. I was going to order it sometime in July but I don't think I want to part with the $ right now. I think I'm just going to save and order it for next year and keep the one I have for now

speck-chaser
07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Her ya go C-Diddy, since those mean ol non-toxic oil fields wont let you look at gun sites, we will bring em to ya. Here is an ad for the 308 dpms sass.

I personally own a DPMS LR-308 24" Bull and the accuracy has proven to be superb. I routinely group 3 shots that measure <1/2 MOA at 100yds with Match ammo or handloads. The DPMS rifles are built to such tight tolerances that they will typically shoot as well as high-end bolt action rifles that sell for three times the price. You simply cannot buy a more accurate semi-auto rifle for the price.
Specifications of the LRT-SASS
Barrel:
18" Fluted Barrel with Panther Flash Hider Installed
416 Stainless Steel
6 grooves, right hand twist, 1:10
Button Rifled for accuracy
Bipod:
Harris 9-13" Swivel Series Bipod
Bipod adapter made by Fobus

Bolt & Carrier:
8620 steel bolt carrier, heat treated
and plated per Mil Spec
Phosphated steel bolt, heat treated
and plated per Mil Spec

Sights: SCOPE NOT INCLUDED!
Primary: Optics (Not Included)
Backup: Flip up Iron Sights (Included)
Upper Receiver:
Thick walled, extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum
Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
A3 Style Flattop with Picatinny 1913 rail
Dust cover included
Includes shell deflector
Includes forward assist
Right hand ejection

Lower Receiver:
Milled from a solid billet of 6061-T6 aluminum
integral trigger guard
Aluminum magazine release button
INCLUDES JP ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER!!

Trigger:
JP Adjustable trigger with 4.5-5 lbs pull adjustable for over-travel and take-up
Stock:
Adjustable Magpul PRS Stock

Handguard:
Standard length 4-rail free floating vented, includes Wide rail covers

This Rifle comes with TWO (2)- 19 round magazine, 1-Nylon Web Sling, 1-Cleaning Kit, and black DPMS Panther plastic case

SULPHITE
07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
THATS WHAT I WANT SO i CAN SIT ON MY ROOF BEHIND MY CHIMNEY WHEN THE CRAP (SOCIAL UNREST) HITS THE FAN AND PICK OFF MFERS LOOTING...

FF_T_Warren
07-01-2010, 10:20 AM
THATS WHAT I WANT SO i CAN SIT ON MY ROOF BEHIND MY CHIMNEY WHEN THE CRAP (SOCIAL UNREST) HITS THE FAN AND PICK OFF MFERS LOOTING...

I got one for that, then once forces get to strong for single shot justice I got my AR for spray and pray.

southern151
07-01-2010, 10:50 AM
That's what I love about my 17! Dead-on accuracy and quiet! I've stretched out to about 300 yds now. I'm very confident in it but would still love to have a good .308!

CajunSteelsetter
07-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I got one for that, then once forces get to strong for single shot justice I got my AR for spray and pray.

A=VxF Accuracy equals volume of fire.:grinpimp:

FF_T_Warren
07-01-2010, 11:14 AM
A=VxF Accuracy equals volume of fire.:grinpimp:
:smokin: heck yea. single shot is good if you stay hidden and aren't taking on a huge force. But if stuff hits the fan, its hard to hold down a hidden shooting position for a very long time in a neighborhood.

CatDaddy
07-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Her ya go C-Diddy, since those mean ol non-toxic oil fields wont let you look at gun sites, we will bring em to ya. Here is an ad for the 308 dpms sass.

I personally own a DPMS LR-308 24" Bull and the accuracy has proven to be superb. I routinely group 3 shots that measure <1/2 MOA at 100yds with Match ammo or handloads. The DPMS rifles are built to such tight tolerances that they will typically shoot as well as high-end bolt action rifles that sell for three times the price. You simply cannot buy a more accurate semi-auto rifle for the price.
Specifications of the LRT-SASS
Barrel:
18" Fluted Barrel with Panther Flash Hider Installed
416 Stainless Steel
6 grooves, right hand twist, 1:10
Button Rifled for accuracy
Bipod:
Harris 9-13" Swivel Series Bipod
Bipod adapter made by Fobus

Bolt & Carrier:
8620 steel bolt carrier, heat treated
and plated per Mil Spec
Phosphated steel bolt, heat treated
and plated per Mil Spec

Sights: SCOPE NOT INCLUDED!
Primary: Optics (Not Included)
Backup: Flip up Iron Sights (Included)
Upper Receiver:
Thick walled, extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum
A3 Style Flattop with Picatinny 1913 rail
Dust cover included
Includes shell deflector
Includes forward assist
Right hand ejection

Lower Receiver:
Milled from a solid billet of 6061-T6 aluminum
integral trigger guard
Aluminum magazine release button
INCLUDES JP ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER!!

Trigger:
JP Adjustable trigger with 4.5-5 lbs pull adjustable for over-travel and take-up
Stock:
Adjustable Magpul PRS Stock

Handguard:
Standard length 4-rail free floating vented, includes Wide rail covers

This Rifle comes with TWO (2)- 19 round magazine, 1-Nylon Web Sling, 1-Cleaning Kit, and black DPMS Panther plastic case

How much?

SULPHITE
07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
:smokin: heck yea. single shot is good if you stay hidden and aren't taking on a huge force. But if stuff hits the fan, its hard to hold down a hidden shooting position for a very long time in a neighborhood.

Hell yeah...I just need some money and know how on the AR and the sniper....

FF_T_Warren
07-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Yea this weather has me screwed up. I ordered custom handloads for my 308 and they came in on the afternoon before my jaw surgery. I got the ok to shoot from the doc last week and now that I got time off work, it rains everyday

speck-chaser
07-01-2010, 04:37 PM
c- diddy, you can find them on gunbroker right now for about 1900.00. Back last year or so,when guns and ammo were flyin off the shelves,they had gotten to around 2400.00 on this site. You might be able to order one through a gun dealer,but I think its still taking about 6 months to come in. The gun is designed for sniping,but also for rapid fire,in case you find yourself in close quater combat. This will prolly be my next rifle.

CatDaddy
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
c- diddy, you can find them on gunbroker right now for about 1900.00. Back last year or so,when guns and ammo were flyin off the shelves,they had gotten to around 2400.00 on this site. You might be able to order one through a gun dealer,but I think its still taking about 6 months to come in. The gun is designed for sniping,but also for rapid fire,in case you find yourself in close quater combat. This will prolly be my next rifle.

IM looking into it!!!!!! ASAP!!!

Im stuck offshore cause of the weather, I havent forgot about my trees! Ill pay you some extra for "Tree Daycare"...lol

speck-chaser
07-01-2010, 09:38 PM
lol, dont worry about it big daddy, Im not even having to water them right now:)

longsidelandry
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM
lol, dont worry about it big daddy, Im not even having to water them right now:)
Hell, with all the rain we've been having you prolly oughta put some life jackets on them trees!

speck-chaser
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM
yeah, I just noticed today that my palms are growing webbed feet.

LPfishnTIM
07-01-2010, 10:56 PM
unfortunatly, I sold my AR15 last year it was a bad az gun. It was a DPMS but I had to use bushmaster extractor parts, because dpms used cheap parts that didn't last I changed the extractor, the plunger and spring after 200 rounds went down the barrel.

if I wanted a sniper rifle this is what I'd want
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/338-xtreme-tactical-rifle/

I'm just not sure about how to get ammo for it!

better yet I'd probably stick with a .308

FF_T_Warren
07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
unfortunatly, I sold my AR15 last year it was a bad az gun. It was a DPMS but I had to use bushmaster extractor parts, because dpms used cheap parts that didn't last I changed the extractor, the plunger and spring after 200 rounds went down the barrel.

if I wanted a sniper rifle this is what I'd want
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/338-xtreme-tactical-rifle/

I'm just not sure about how to get ammo for it!

better yet I'd probably stick with a .308

Getting .338 bullets is easy, but finding the wallet to purchase them is the hard part. about 5 bucks a shot give or take a little

SULPHITE
07-02-2010, 09:25 AM
what is the best value ammo? .223 .308 ??

FF_T_Warren
07-02-2010, 09:31 AM
what is the best value ammo? .223 .308 ??
are you asking the cheapest place for these ammos? or are you saying is it better to go 223 or 308?

308 is a much better way to go. you can get federal match grade ammo for like 24 bucks a box. 223 used to be alot cheaper when I bought my AR but now that junk aint much cheaper than regular bullets.

308 is the better choice. you'll get more accuracy at longer ranges and if you wanting to hunt, you get more knock down power.

cheaperthandirt.com has the cheapest federal gold medal match bullets that I have found.

LaAngler
07-02-2010, 09:33 AM
308 is the better choice. you'll get more accuracy at longer ranges and if you wanting to hunt, you get more knock down power.

the 5.56 is nice in a full auto gun where you have to pack it for miles, can carry a lot more rounds.

FF_T_Warren
07-02-2010, 09:35 AM
the 5.56 is nice in a full auto gun where you have to pack it for miles, can carry a lot more rounds.

yea definitely. if you buying a AR I'd go 223/5.56. but for a precision rifle you much better off with a 308/7.62

SULPHITE
07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
what would be the best price/ammo for an AR...which .308 is sounding good

FF_T_Warren
07-02-2010, 09:45 AM
what would be the best price/ammo for an AR...which .308 is sounding good

couldn't tell ya, I stopped shooting my AR because the bullets got too expensive to have any real fun with it. When I bought it winchester had 40ct boxes for like $10 at walmart. Now they $12-15 for the 20 count boxes. and 20 bullets don't even fill one clip. you better looking on that website and buying the bulk in the ammo cans.

Only thing I will say is never ever shoot those painted steel casing cheap bullets. they will screw your junk up. stick with brass casings

speck-chaser
07-02-2010, 09:49 AM
check out the sportsman.com and also the-armory.com they have some pretty good prices too. I usually compare several before I make an order.

FF_T_Warren
07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
yea, check all 3 of those for those bulk buys. sportsmansguide.com

but for those 308 match bullets, I havent seen anyone else with prices that low. I also have a guy in dallas that I just bought bullets from and they are custom handloads it was 140$ for 100 rounds of 175gr .308

SULPHITE
07-02-2010, 10:08 AM
looks like fun!

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/ruger4u/100_5275.jpg

speck-chaser
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
is that your gun? Looks really close to the one I put together. Thats some cheap shooting there.

LaAngler
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
no offense but i think those AR-22 are pretty stupid, unless your training with it.

too tacti-cool for me

FF_T_Warren
07-02-2010, 02:01 PM
this is my gun. figured I'd post pics of mine since others are.

longsidelandry
07-02-2010, 02:09 PM
this is my gun. figured I'd post pics of mine since others are.
That's a smooth looking gun you got there man.

LaAngler
07-02-2010, 02:11 PM
nice gun, them A/X bolts can't touch them 70/700's :D

FF_T_Warren
07-02-2010, 02:12 PM
nice gun, them A/X bolts can't touch them 70/700's :D

I'm not gonna go there on this thread. I've been there so many times, my shoes are worn out :rolleyes:

FF_T_Warren
07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
for the right price I'll sell it, if anyone is interested.

SULPHITE
07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
is that your gun? Looks really close to the one I put together. Thats some cheap shooting there.

nada...just a pic of the net...I like it tho...be a good way to practice cheapo!!

speck-chaser
07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah, i got one similar,but its not one of those "stupid" ar conversions,:rolleyes:its actually a 10/22 with AR accessories. But it is cheap to shoot and its a good way to practice shooting with the same platform as the AR.

eman
07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
kalashnicof (sp) 7.62x 54r . if you've never seen or fired one try to check it out. Surplus prices are cheap and not a big exspense to get itset up right.

southern151
07-05-2010, 02:54 PM
for the right price I'll sell it, if anyone is interested.
That's a .308? Not saying I want to buy it but, what kind of money does it take to own it or something like it?

What type of scope does it have? Platform manufacturer?

FF_T_Warren
07-05-2010, 03:50 PM
That's a .308? Not saying I want to buy it but, what kind of money does it take to own it or something like it?

What type of scope does it have? Platform manufacturer?

It's a .308. I bought the gun for I believe $800(or right around there). It is a Rem 700P(police) 26" barrel. I spent $100 on bases and $100 on rings. But I got them for a good deal. They normally $200 each. The scope is a 4.5-18x52 Falcon Menace counter sniper series. I think I got it for like $500.

So I guess all in all I have $1500 in it plus or minus a little. You could go cheaper on a few things but to get the most out of it I wouldn't go much cheaper unless you got the gun used but in new condition. You could get a cheaper scope but really for the money that is a really good scope.

I skim bedded, worked the trigger and painted it myself.