PDA

View Full Version : Duramax owners???

jldsc
08-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Do any of you guys own an 07.5+ gm duramax truck that has done away with the dpf and cat with an exhaust and programmer???
I have an 08 z-71 with a duramax and have been wanting to do this for better fuel mileage..just wondering if anyone here has done it and what kind of mileage are you guys seeing...Im getting a wopping 13mpg right at 14mpg taking it easy :pissed:

specktator
08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I have the exact same truck as u. If u do it, let me know how it works out for u. I been thinking of doing it myself. My buddy has a used one he offered me for $800. He said I would get 20-25mpg. I'm just a little nervous bout putting it on there.

BIGJ
08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I had a 04.5 LLY DMAX and traded it for a 2010 DMAX a couple of months ago. A big mistake. I wish I had my old truck back everyday. I get about 17mpg highway on the new truck with stock tires. My old truck would get right at 20mpg.
Go to dieselplace.com to find some info.

jldsc
08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
been a member of duramaxforums for about a year now just that most of those guys numbers are from upstate...and if you gettin 17mpg thats great for an lmm I wish I was makin 17
specktator - 20-25 out of an lmm is hard to believe, now Im talking about calculated mileage not what the dic is showing & what color is ya d-max?? I seen a guy that kinda looks like you when I flew into laffy few weeks back, he was pullin a trailer I believe and talkin about goin fishing offshore??? just wondering??

wtretrievers
08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Not a duramax but I did it on my Cummings back in 06. 5" Magna flow exhaust from the turbo back (no cat) & AFE cold air induction & programmer, get 24.5 to 25 on good interstate & 19 pulling a 24' Skeeter. Without programmer still get around 20 to 20.5. Check out the diesel forums, tons of guys on there that's on top of their game with all that.

jldsc
08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
the new d-max's arent gonna touch a cummins on mileage...ive been torn between an edge evo or efi live from Calvins automotive, just cant make up my mind and dont know anyone in the area who has done it and with rock solid results worth loosing the warranty over :shaking:

specktator
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
been a member of duramaxforums for about a year now just that most of those guys numbers are from upstate...and if you gettin 17mpg thats great for an lmm I wish I was makin 17
specktator - 20-25 out of an lmm is hard to believe, now Im talking about calculated mileage not what the dic is showing & what color is ya d-max?? I seen a guy that kinda looks like you when I flew into laffy few weeks back, he was pullin a trailer I believe and talkin about goin fishing offshore??? just wondering??

Thats what this guy told me. Maybe its a different programmer. He actually told me he got like 27mpg but I dont know if he was blowing smoke up my arse. He said he could smoke the tires at like 60mph. And he said if u cut off that big tuba for a muffler that comes stock and put on a straight, u would get 3-5 mph just off doing that.

I have a white one and have a Salty Cajun and CCA sticker on the back glass. I love it besides the fuel mileage and tiny fuel tank. (24 gallons!) I got some BFG mud terrains on mine so the mpg is even worse. Been looking into getting a programmer, but I dont know much about all that.

LaAngler
08-16-2010, 02:38 PM
He said he could smoke the tires at like 60mph.

maybe in the rain...lol

jldsc
08-16-2010, 02:42 PM
most of the numbers ive seen on d-max forums, all from up north, new exhaust with a tuner set on stock 1-2mpg gains and with around 50-70 plus on the horsepower 2-4mpg, was just wondering maybe if the mileages are better down south because ive heard of a few people getting better, most people dont realize that the 07.5+ motor is totaly different setup internal and some external parts...my dad has an 03 getting 21mpg and want a new one but I keep telling him to wait that hes not gonna like the mileage..
and the guy I seen was at the shell by the airport few weeks back with a truck like mine dont remember the color though??

jldsc
08-16-2010, 02:43 PM
he was blowin smoke up ya $%^ thats for sure!!!

specktator
08-16-2010, 02:44 PM
he was blowin smoke up ya $%^ thats for sure!!!

yeh it sounded too good to be true, thats y i didnt buy it. If u interested I could give the guy a call and see if he still has it. He has an f-250 now so they dont match up.

jldsc
08-16-2010, 02:48 PM
I had a guy trying to sell me a programmer from laffy just a couple weeks ago claiming the same #'s?? sounds kinda funny wonder if its the same dude??

meathauler
08-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I have a 08 also and I was really suprised pulling a 18 ft trailer with 2 side by sides to Tx lease last year and only got about 11mpg. Thats not good!!! post any info please:eek:

jldsc
08-16-2010, 03:00 PM
shoot..i pulled a little 23' toy hauler camper to colfax, mudfest, in april didnt push it hard and kept at 65 mph i think it was 8mpg if I remember correct..SUCKS!!

Dink
08-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Look into the banks programmers......their on trucks TV a lot......seem like good honest folks

jldsc
08-16-2010, 03:14 PM
good clean programmers but they dont offer dfp and cat delete tunes
only about 5 or so that do just which one is the safest and to find guys in our area who have good luck with them

whunter29
08-16-2010, 04:03 PM
You poor poor duramax boys should have bought a Cummins as I get 10 with 20000 pounds on a 40 ft mf.

jldsc
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
yea yea yea..cummins is a proven motor I just rather gm products not much of a dodge person

meathauler
08-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Well that was the reason we took my truck, since he said that his milage was not very good. It turned out we both are getting around the same with the same exact trailer. He did say that the chevy was a whole lot quieter and rides a whole lot better. The cummings is a awesome motor but they are puttinig it in the wrong manuf. truck.

whunter29
08-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I have a buddy who is a dodge mechanic and he told me that no matter what the programmer tells you about them being untraceable that he can always tell when a truck has been chipped because it reprograms the computer and that the computer keeps track of how many times it has been reprogrammed.

wtretrievers
08-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I've taken my truck in several times with warranty work....unhook my programmer & throw it in the tool box......never a problem.

jldsc
08-16-2010, 09:25 PM
ive been told "usually" if you dont give them a reason they wont dig to find it but all them change one single letter or a small tracer code when the programmer is installed..only experienced ecm mechanics will find it..if their not *****s then they wont even look

jldsc
08-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I know for sure mine will be voided with the exhaust and programmer, just want to hear some mileage numbers from anyone local that has done it

whunter29
08-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Make sure when you get a programmer that it turns of the egr valve and the clean burn exhaust cycle. That is how you get your fuel mileage. I also knocked all the guts out of my catalytic converter and I am now getting 3 -4 mpg better than before. The reason I did this to my cummins was that at 220000 miles a warning came on the overhead that said catalyst full. By that time the exhaust system had malfunctioned taking my turbo out and carboning up the engine. All of the diesels on the market today have problems with their clean burn exhaust system and all cost major money when they break to repair. Also this is todays trucks don't get the fuel mileage that the older models got.