PDA

View Full Version : Spanish lake - new iberia, la

Creole Fisherman
09-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Has anybody been out to Spanish Lake lately? I have been real disappointed fishing from the bank on my few last visits

Boo
09-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I get disappointed everytime I go there unless it's for duck hunting and then sometimes I get disappointed then to! If you read in the paper Mrs. Jeans Bait shop on Spanish Lake (which I beleive is owned by the parish) always says they are catching limits of this and that. I have never seen anyone catch or shoot limits of anything there. I think the parish trys to play it up thru Mrs Jeans Bait shop so they can get your money thru fees. The parish hasn't done anything to make the lake any better. I used to see game wardens and biologist there all the time, but you don't even see them there anymore. In my opion all they have is a very few bream catfish, alot of turtles and garfish and aligators.

Creole Fisherman
09-23-2010, 12:22 AM
I know there are a lot of turtles, but garfish?

Creole Fisherman
10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Which department of Iberia Parish Government controls the Lake?

StuBone278
10-04-2010, 12:15 PM
The best I've ever done there was earlier this summer, got into a big school of gou and caught them back to back for an hour and a half straight, all small, and kept a few to try out. It seems like the lake is just a flat 5' the whole way through. Might run some jug lines in the near future. And there are surely some enormous alligators in there. Saw one last year that was at least 12' long.

specktator
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I get disappointed everytime I go there unless it's for duck hunting and then sometimes I get disappointed then to! If you read in the paper Mrs. Jeans Bait shop on Spanish Lake (which I beleive is owned by the parish) always says they are catching limits of this and that. I have never seen anyone catch or shoot limits of anything there. I think the parish trys to play it up thru Mrs Jeans Bait shop so they can get your money thru fees. The parish hasn't done anything to make the lake any better. I used to see game wardens and biologist there all the time, but you don't even see them there anymore. In my opion all they have is a very few bream catfish, alot of turtles and garfish and aligators.

I know one little guy that says he does very well in there on ducks.

speck-chaser
10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
used to hunt it when it was grown up with willows, very good hunting then,havent hunted it in at least 6 or 8 yrs.

aquaholic78
10-05-2010, 08:51 PM
man that lake is a dump and a waste of time... seems like everybody caught all the bass and sac a lait out of there. right after they filled the lake back up when they still had trees in the middle of the lake you could shoot a few ducks... since all those trees died off nada zip zilch

Jo-boater
10-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I ran some jugs in there a few months ago and did some bass fishing while there. Caught one small catfish all day and saw red carp surfacing all over the place. I haven't did any good in there fishing or hunting since all the thick willow brush died out.

RaginCagin
10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
It is one of the worst lakes i have ever fished along with Chicot. They just soon fill both of them with dirt and build something on top of them.

alphaman
10-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I think lake Martin would be a better place to fish from the bank. Either around the boat launch r in the back. I've seen some nice catfish come out that lake.

Boo
10-31-2010, 09:57 PM
I had better luck fishing in Lake Martin.