PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater City

J.D.L
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Went on an offshore trout fishing trip this past Friday out of Freshwater City. Our crew got down to Pecan Island to late to castnet bait for the trip so we decided to just use plastics. Launched the boat at Freshwater City and ran out to a platform 14 miles from the bayou. The seas were extremely calm, and the green water was just a couple miles out. The bite was very soft, but we were putting fish in the boat until the armada arrived with the live bait and the bite shifted to their area only. As soon as the bait guys ran out of croakers and shrimp, the fish seemed to move back around the platform and give us some more action. Ended up with 30 specks. Most of the trout were caught on plumtreuse cocahoe minnows and shrimp colored salty grubs. If you make a rig trip, bring tons of jigheads, the spanish mackerel were in there thick. Didn't take any pictures, forgot the camera at the house.

LaAngler
07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
sounds good....

is there any fishable "beach" down that way that you can get to by car?

J.D.L
07-06-2009, 04:36 PM
LaAngler, I don't know of any of the beach areas that are accesible by car. The Freshwater City launch isn't on the gulf, but it isn't a long run by boat at all to get to the beach. Maybe a mile or so, if even that. My experience with the beaches in this area and around Rockefellar is that the water is nearly always muddy, due to the beach being made up more of mud than sand. I don't bother fishing it. But I have heard stories of trout along the beaches when the green water moves in super close.

LaAngler
07-06-2009, 04:53 PM
i wish vbay didn't have the muddy/fresh water issues because it would be insane fishing....

all star rod
07-06-2009, 05:03 PM
No fishable beach as far as I know of in that area. The only landing besides Acadiana Marina (not sure if it is open) is running down that nasty gravel road for like 8 or 9 miles. The landing is by an old ice house. From there like JDL said you are only 1-2 miles from the gulf.

J.D.L
07-06-2009, 05:07 PM
No fishable beach as far as I know of in that area. The only landing besides Acadiana Marina (not sure if it is open) is running down that nasty gravel road for like 8 or 9 miles. The landing is by an old ice house. From there like JDL said you are only 1-2 miles from the gulf.

Yes, you would have to launch at the public Launch in Freshwater City, which is a few miles south of Pecan Island. Acadiana Marina is still open, but is now private and I think you have to own a boat slip in order use the launch, but I'm not positive.

LaAngler, that would be pretty sweet if there was a Calcasieu Lake style estuary positioned in the place of Vermillion Bay. It would make things a lot easier on the Lafayette area residents, and you could fish saltwater year round with out a long drive.

speckdaddy
07-06-2009, 06:28 PM
hgey guys funny ya talkin bout the acadiana marina.... my boss owns it!! i have been workin down there for 4 months puttin up new bulk heads and etc.... this will be the next big thing near v-bay and the surrounding areas i can promise that. bruce holla at me i got the hook up on wading out there in the gulf near that area. gotta go by boat and i got the hookup on the launch. later

LaAngler
07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
sounds good i'm down to go out there...some pretty shorelines that don't get many waders......

J.D.L
07-06-2009, 07:29 PM
hgey guys funny ya talkin bout the acadiana marina.... my boss owns it!! i have been workin down there for 4 months puttin up new bulk heads and etc.... this will be the next big thing near v-bay and the surrounding areas i can promise that. bruce holla at me i got the hook up on wading out there in the gulf near that area. gotta go by boat and i got the hookup on the launch. later

Speckdaddy, do you know if the owner is trying to make this a big public marina? Like something that would have live bait and such, or will it still be a low key private setup?

speckdaddy
07-06-2009, 07:48 PM
its gonna be a pretty much private area. but, the launch will be on his land(my boss). there are now 2 launches both o nhis land.there will be a full service marina. live bait, food the works!! he will have camps for sale as well as rental. this is a huge project and it will take sum time. i can promise ya this though, this is a diamond in the rough. this thing is gonna be huge for the area down there.i am just so excited ta be a part of this thing. we are still fixin the seawalls and the boat sheds and we are almost done with that.next will be the marina. thats when this thing is gonna blow wide open. dont worry if this place will be too upscale, yall are my bros and i will hook yall up. thats a promise. you guys can help bring people down, i can and will get you guys launch access and whatever else ya need. i already talked to the owner and we are tryin ta get up and runnin by next spring or summer. just gonna need everyones help on here ta help promote this place. like ta get live bait from the boats, tournaments, etc.. i could go on forever.... woohoo its gonna be great!!!!

Ducktrickster
07-06-2009, 08:01 PM
For now, tell John to unlock the damn launch so I don't have to drive down that gravel pit.

speckdaddy
07-07-2009, 04:53 PM
hey ducktrickster, how ya know john.oh i forgot, everyone knows him huh? lol

Choupique
07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Is the launch ya’ll are talking about over at Talens or north of there by that structure in the waterway? I was thinking about this very area a few weeks ago, and just happened to check this forum out for the first time.

Finfeatherfur
07-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Choupique- The launch known as Acadiana Marina is the old marina off of Hwy 82 at the curve where the road to Freshwater City begins. When the launch opens, you will have to run south to Schooner Bayou then turn into Freshwater Bayou and travel to the locks. You will then enter the locks, tie up, and wait for the lockmaster to close then let you out. Do not attempt to just "float around" in the locks, they will make you tie up. Also, make sure you leave slack to allow for equalizing of water levels so you do not mess up your fiberglass. Hope this helps!

tumbleweed
07-07-2009, 08:04 PM
So there is a launch down the gravel road? Is that road HWY 3147? If you launch from the launch on the gravel road, do you have to wait in the locks?

Sorry for all the questions, I just moved here to Louisiana and I am just discovering what a great place it is to fish. I have been searching for places to launch along the middle coast of the state, I guess I am correct in saying that. Thanks for the help.

Ducktrickster
07-07-2009, 08:24 PM
So there is a launch down the gravel road? Is that road HWY 3147? If you launch from the launch on the gravel road, do you have to wait in the locks?

Sorry for all the questions, I just moved here to Louisiana and I am just discovering what a great place it is to fish. I have been searching for places to launch along the middle coast of the state, I guess I am correct in saying that. Thanks for the help.

Yes, there is a launch near the end of the gravel road in Freshwater City. No, you do not have to lock through to get to the gulf. Much of the confusion here is that the posts speak of 2 different launch locations.

Speck, I met John on a fishing trip to Dularge last year. I also know Clark very well.

Finfeatherfur
07-08-2009, 06:34 AM

Sorry Tumbleweed, I "assumed" that you were familiar with the area and we all know what happens when you "*** u me".lol

The Freshwater City boat launch is publicly owned & operated by the Vermillion Parish Police Jury. It is a nice lauch, but needs work. Silts in easily, very shallow at low tide, and not much room to dock you r boat while your partner walks half a mile to the designated parking area. The road to Freshwater City (Hwy 3147) sucks, although I hear they are paving it. I tore up my fenders a few years ago from it being so "washboard", and your boat gets trashed by dust!

The "pro's" of launching there end with the fact of the close proximity to the gulf, after that, I can't think of any other good reason to launch there! And you do not have to "lock", since the launch is just past the lock facility on FW bayou.

The run from Acadiana Marina to the locks is less than 10 minutes by boat.

Ductrickster- isn't Clark part owner also?

tumbleweed
07-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the help, I am just astonished at how helpful everybody in Louisiana are, it is a great place.

southern151
07-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the help, I am just astonished at how helpful everybody in Louisiana are, it is a great place.

:*****:I know how you feel! I came here from Oklahoma(Choke-lahoma as W calls em) more than 5 years ago. I was sent here to do a 4 week job. I guess it's been a long 4 weeks:D! The people that I met here as well as a few other things hooked me. The main thing was the people though.

Where ya from?

Choupique
07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
LA folks are some of the friendliest around. I was born in LA, but grew up in TX (but don’t hate me I didn’t fish Big Lake till I moved back here!) lol

cajun bill
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Speckdaddy, is the "John" you are talking about John Fell, the big guy? If so, tell him hello for me. I ran into him recently in Academy and renewed an old acquaintance with him. By the way, will there be RV sites available when the marina is finished?