PDA

View Full Version : What it wasn't on Big Lake

Light Tackle John
07-08-2009, 12:55 AM
RAIN!!

Hey ya'll, I think this is my first thread here on Salty Cajun{about damn time too!!
Monday; dad and I went out and spent the best $90.00 we can spend every year on our LA fishing licences. We live in Orange but even fishing Sabine we spend most of our time in LA. To break in the licences we planned a daylight to dark trip to Big Lake. Monday night I spent hours prepping my boat and wade gear as if it was tournament.

ForeCast: 40% chance of rain mainly in the evening. WSW winds 5-10 mph -- LIARS

Longpoint at 6:15am I was starting what was to be the first of many wades for the day while dad drifted offin my Pathy the other way. PERFECT conditions - scared bait -cool- the lake completely still- trout starting to pop everywhere!! At 6:35am right after putting my second 4lber on the stringer{SEBILE Bonga Minnow} the wind started howling out of the north, the sky turned black, and the thunder and lightning moved right on us. For the next hour and a half we ran from storms{cell phone radars} and tried to fish out of the boat while staying dry. The next 3 hours after that we fished, boated and drank beer in downpour after douwpour. Dad had no quit in him; he wanted to fish Big lake for only the 2nd time.

By 1:00pm and with the radar showing another 2 hours of rain on the lake we fiannally gave up. With our excitement, enthusiasm, planning , and prepping just to fish a little over an hour I can tell you we were dissapointed.

Heres your only warning Big Lake!! Friday or Saturday we will be back and it is going to be on - I'm going to put my dad on his first Trophy Trout.

PS. Next post there will be pictures and less whinning about the weather!!

Gerald
07-08-2009, 12:22 PM
If it make you feel any better........

I have left the house [~25 miles north of Big Lake] when the winds were less than 5 mph.........but when I got to the lake, there were white caps. I just watched for a while and turned around and came home.

LaAngler
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
pesky texans! :work:

"W"
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
You have to add 10mph to ever trip and expect the worst!!!! Now if BigLakeTiger is home....Count on 25 -30mph..EASY!!!! Had to Chad!!!

Light Tackle John
07-08-2009, 05:24 PM
4 miles from being a COONASS