PDA

View Full Version : Remington 887.....

Dink
10-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Anyone got field experience with this gun?? I went out today to buy an 870 and decided to look at a few others because the 870 is NOT the gun it once was.......

I checked out the Nova, but it felt like a tinker toy to me.....

Then he showed me the 887..... every outer surface is protected by a polymer shell, totally weather and rust proof!!! This appeals to me because I hunt the salt Marsh. It chambers 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 shells, is light and doesnt feel like a toy like the nova.......all I need now is some hands on feedback......

huntin fool
10-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Anyone got field experience with this gun?? I went out today to buy an 870 and decided to look at a few others because the 870 is NOT the gun it once was.......

I checked out the Nova, but it felt like a tinker toy to me.....

Then he showed me the 887..... every outer surface is protected by a polymer shell, totally weather and rust proof!!! This appeals to me because I hunt the salt Marsh. It chambers 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 shells, is light and doesnt feel like a toy like the nova.......all I need now is some hands on feedback......

That Super Nova isn't a toy! beast gun budd. The 887 looks like it could take a beating though, but pretty positive Nova can aswell.

Dink
10-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I looked at Nova and super Nova, but for 325 bucks, I really wanna try out this Remington

specktator
10-07-2010, 11:30 PM
I agree with the toy feeling of a Nova but I know a few guys that have them and love em. I don't know anyone with an 887 but I checked them out the other day. Look pretty sweet. I would go with the 887.

meaux fishing
10-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Ive shot both the 887 and the super nova and they are both nice... dont know the price difference but the benelli is hard to beat

meaux fishing
10-08-2010, 12:21 AM
If you want I can talk to my buddy with the 887 and we can go shoot it at my house in Meaux next weekend sometime

Dink
10-08-2010, 06:24 AM
I can buy a whole bunch of shells for the price difference tween the 887 and nova.........think ill give it a go, I like to try new things......I was almost considering a Browning auto, but can buy 4 of the 887 for that price.........ill let ya know

Ray
10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I have an 870 Express and a Nova. Both have the black composit stock.
I like the Nova better. Hunted with the 870 for a long long time, got the Nova as a
gift. I didn't shoot it for the first 3 years I had it. Then the 870 broke, had to shoot
the Nova. Won't go back to the 870 again.

Dink
10-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Next question......26 or 28in barrel, and why??? I'm thinking 26.....my last gun had a 30in and it was a beast to swing around

Jordan
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
waterfowl ?? 28"

I have the 28" with the tru-glo 8-n-1 choke... its a beast !!

specktator
10-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Next question......26 or 28in barrel, and why??? I'm thinking 26.....my last gun had a 30in and it was a beast to swing around

Personal preference. I shoot a 28" on all my duck guns.

Hopedale Hustler
10-08-2010, 04:39 PM
28" i just bought this gun a few weeks ago if you remember my thread... i love it...

Raymond
10-08-2010, 06:18 PM
waterfowl ?? 28"

Pookie the duck,duck,goose Commander.

Shawn Braquet
10-09-2010, 05:34 AM
my uncle has the 887 and has had nothing but problems and he keeps his gun CLEAN, he wishes he bought the Nova, I've put that thing through hell and back, now upgraded to a SBE II originally for my wife to shoot but since having the kid she hasn't been hunting but if she starts back im afraid I'll have to bite the bullet and buy another one because I'm in love with that gun.

Woodduck Commander
10-09-2010, 08:27 AM
if you want a good gun for a good price that will never have any problems... mossberg 500A all the way... me and yakem put ours through hell (goes from the mud and marsh into the bed of his truck and isnt moved until the next trip)... you can stick the barrel halfway in the mud and fire it no prob.... ill put my mossberg against any benelli any day

Bluechip
10-09-2010, 08:43 AM
if you want a good gun for a good price that will never have any problems... mossberg 500A all the way... me and yakem put ours through hell (goes from the mud and marsh into the bed of his truck and isnt moved until the next trip)... you can stick the barrel halfway in the mud and fire it no prob.... ill put my mossberg against any benelli any day

:eek:.....I wouldn't recommend that. You Kinder boys must have burnt a few brain cells chasing crop dusters when y'all were younger...:D

specktator
10-09-2010, 09:17 AM
ill put my mossberg against any benelli any day

Hope your joking!

Ray
10-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I had a Winchester feather weight gun with alumium and wood, except for the barrel and magazine cap. Great gun, but after hunting in saltwater for 20something years, it went to crap and cost more to fix than buying a new Remington Express when they first came out. I paid $165 for the Remington Express. I liked it, was used to it, but once I hunted with the Nova, I didn't want to swap back.
That is a nice handling, nice shooting, easy to operate gun. It had a red dot light enhancing bead on the end of the barrel also. Helped a lot early in the morning.
Nothing wrong with the old Remington, it just didn't feel as good to shoot.

Dink
10-09-2010, 04:25 PM
With the Nova, I found that I had to hold the foregrip out.....it didn't seem to want to stay out there......it would fall back a little bit, to me That means the breach isn't all the way closed. Also, had to hold it forward to release the slide.......didn't like that either

huntin fool
10-09-2010, 11:45 PM
waterfowl ?? 28"

:*****::*****:

I'm going with a 26" barrell on my SUper Nova, Gotta have that Max 4 adv. too

Feesherman
10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
The 887 is the biggest POS to hit the market in a long time. I urge you to steer clear of this gun. Do a little internet search on customer reviews. I have a friend that has one and I watched him literally pick it up over his head and toss it in the beans on the dove opener. He hunted about 150 yards from us on the teal opener and we could hear him cussing it then as well. He has had nothing but trouble with it and if you offer him a 6 pack of cheap beer for it he will likely take you up on it. That gun was introduced to compete with the Nova. The Nova is a rattle trap but it is a gun that is reliable.

Ray
10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
My old 870 Express is very dependable. Just kinda heavy. But never had any issues with it.
Love them composite stocks and flat finish. It's a throw down in the bottom of the boat kinda gun. Just rinse off with fresh water and spray with oil after hunting in saltwater.