PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how u get to elmers island by truck??

Hopedale Hustler
07-10-2009, 05:09 PM
anyone know how to drive to elmers island i know its back open..i hear people talkin bout it..any help?

Gerald
07-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't know how to get there. My understanding is that the island is just across the pass from Grand Island. Looking on a map, I see a road about 2 miles before the bridge to GI. I guess that could be how you get there.

I did read that because there were so manly people there [last weekend ?] that they stopped traffic going there. Also as you get to the island, there is soft sand and people were slowing down and getting stuck.

I beleive the road is only open on the weekends.....Fri to sunday.

speckdaddy
07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
anyone know how to drive to elmers island i know its back open..i hear people talkin bout it..any help?

i dont think they opened it up yet. i was there a while ago and there was noone out on elmers. that place is gonna be like mardi gras when they do open up:spineyes:

Ray
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
It is open. There was trucks and fishermen on it during the July 4th weekend. We fished all around G.I. that weekend. Elmers Island beach was full of people.
The Chenier Island has a road named Elmers Island Rd. that heads south to the beach from the main highway. It is a dirt road, not a paved one.

From the LDWF website:
PUBLIC ACCESS
There is no permit required for Elmer's Island access by anyone 15 years of age or younger. Those wishing to utilize the island for recreational purposes, ages 16 and above, must possess one of the following: a valid Wild Louisiana Stamp, a valid Louisiana fishing license or a valid Louisiana hunting license.

Site Access from LA Hwy. 1

Effective Friday, July 3, 2009 at one half hour before sunrise, the public can access Elmer's Island Wildlife Refuge via an access road connecting LA Hwy. 1 to the refuge beach area, for day-use only, under the following provisions:

No nighttime activities.
No hunting.
No littering. Trash must be removed from the island by user(s).
No camping, fishing or recreational items may be left on the island overnight.
Vehicle parking is allowed on the beach for day-use activities.
Vehicle speed limit is 5 mph on the access road from LA 1 and on the beach.
The island will open 30 minutes before sunrise and close 30 minutes after sunset, every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Site access from the water
Boat access to the island is an option for public day-use seven days a week. Those accessing the island via water can do so from 30 minutes before sunrise through 30 minutes after sunset. Rules for use include the no hunting, littering or camping provisions noted above.
This past weekend, to mark Independence Day, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries opened road access to Elmer's Island for the first time in nearly a decade. More than 800 visitors were present over the three-day period of July 3 to July 5.

Dink
07-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I was under the impression that the island was privatly owned..............guess I was wrong?? Good to know, then again my wife tells me everyday.........ugh, I'm goin get another drink.........................

eman
07-11-2009, 08:48 AM
last year the state claimed ownership to the beach as they claim it's accrued land so it belongs to the state. This allowed boat access.
Then this year the state used the law to claim use of the road . You have to allow thru passage to land locked property.
The state has been working on the access road for a few months now to get it ready.
I hope that all this can be settled w/ the heirs so that the state can buy the whole property and we can fish the rest of the island and not just the shoreline.