PDA

View Full Version : wirless router

swamp snorkler
11-27-2010, 05:50 PM
I need a wirless router that can handle 2 lap tops and 2 i pod touches, what do I need to look for and how hard will this be to hook up. By the way the laptops are just for surfing the web for my kids no gaming or anything

Bluechip
11-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure what you need but it's easy to hook up. Trust me if I was able to hook it up anyone can.

I just went to the store and asked a sales person and they told me what I needed but I'm sure someone on here knows what you need.

I even set my home up with a wireless printer. It's on a shelf to the side out of the way but it is nice to have. I only wish I would have done this earlier.

catch_and_release
11-27-2010, 06:26 PM
It shouldn't be hard to do. If you're not worried about wireless security, you can just hook it up and everything should work. Depending on what kind of Internet you have you might have to change the IP address of the router. If you have DSL you will probably have to change the IP address of the router to something other then 192.168.1.x. Most DSL Modems are set to 192.168.1.x by default, which is the same IP address most routers are set to by default. The router won't work if it's set like that, so you'll have to change the router to say 192.168.2.1 then it'll work. If you don't have DSL and you have a cable modem or soemthing similar, then you won't have to worry about that.

yak'em-n-stack'em
11-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Airport if you wanna spend the money

meaux fishing
11-27-2010, 06:54 PM
here is a link to a good site with routers

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=145&name=Wireless-Routers&Order=REVIEWS

ShadMan
11-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Pretty much any wireless router will do for your requirements, and they are usually just plug and play, except for setting up the security. Anybody can do it. As Meaux posted, NewEgg is probably the best internet retailer there is. I buy all of my electronics from them. If you aren't confident in your ability to choose one online, any Best Buy or similar big box electronics store can set you up with one that will meet your needs.

Dink
11-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Whatever grade they tell you that you need, get the next higher up......mine fizzles out sometimes.....get a powerful one so you get connection thru the walls

Gerald
11-28-2010, 12:32 AM
If you get anything from Best Buy store......remember their return policy is that they will charge you a "return" fee.

I think it is about 15% of your purchase price.

yak'em-n-stack'em
11-28-2010, 09:38 AM
I've never been charged a return fee

I make oil
11-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I recommend Best Buy. They will answer all your questions. The technology changes almost daily. I also recommend you get a Network Hard Drive. I have a Iomega it is 1Tera and is very nice for storing files and sharing over the network. I saw one at best buy the other day for $109 I paid almost 300 for mine last year.

I make oil
11-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Also, on my network we have 3 PS3, a Wii, two Xbox 360's, 2 net books, 2 laptops, a desk top and three iphones. Now of course they are not all online at once but what I am saying is they network is not limited to users only to bandwidth.

swamp snorkler
11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks fellas, forgot about the WII I can hook that up to it too.