PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Calcasieu

Dead Shrimp
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Made a trip to the jetties/beach area south of Cameron past weekend and got on a few nice trout while wading the surf on the east side. I've fished the west side near Johnson Bayou before without much luck but this was my first trip to the east. Is the fishing is any better on one side or the other in certain conditions or is it just chance?

Gerald
07-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Probably more by chance as to what side is best.

The wind direction is a big factor.

South winds usually muddies up the water. South east wind blows the Mermentau river water toward the west.

The best wind is light coming out anywhere from the NW to NE.

I have gotten good reports that trout are along the beach.....and go the next day....and catch nothing, even with fairly good looking water.

SULPHITE
07-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Clean water with a some tidal movement I would say...not sure if east or west is better always fished the west...You catch it right and its on!

Ray
07-16-2009, 06:36 AM
When the water is clear and there is a lot of floating grass beds, you will catch fish.
I fished Rutherfords Beach more than Holly Beach due to all the people to the West.
But after Rita, there isn't many people anywhere.
Just throw past a grass bed and run your lure next to it and something will come out
and get it.

cmdrost
07-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Light north winds are best, look for which side has cleaner water, side shouldn't matter then.

CAMP CANARD
07-16-2009, 03:00 PM
We Fished the Surf Thur. and Friday before the 4th. Hammered them and left them biting. Trip began early Thur. in the Lake, and decided the Surf might be the ticket. IT WAS ! Started out wading, and picked up 14. Finished them off from the Boat. EC for at least an hour. Only 3 Boats total as far as you could see. Wind was less than 5 MPH from the SW.
Got blown out Saturday, and caught one 25 incher in the Lake.

adamsfence
07-16-2009, 03:29 PM
how do yall fish the beach? how far out from the sand should you be in a boat never done it may try it next time im out.

Gerald
07-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Fishing the beach....there is not 1 method that works all the time.

sometimes the fish could be right up next to the shore or they could be 100 yards out.

CAMP CANARD
07-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Depends on where the bait is. We were anchored just outside the second bar in 4' water. Caught most of them 2-3'. Topwaters normally great, but they prefered the Corkies those two days.
Don't expect two days of limits like that every trip, and they are normally very nice Fish as well.
If the Sharks have taken up camp, mays well move. There a hassle, and ruin $6 baits very quickly.

adamsfence
07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
is it pretty safe to run down the beach as far as deep enough. or do you need to stay pretty far out

CAMP CANARD
07-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I like to run Parallel to the Beach 200 or so yards out , close enough to spot Bait. once I find them, just motor in and watch your depth finder. Some of the bars come out further than others. I feel safer running the Beach than running the Lake these days.

CAMP CANARD
07-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Just watch for waves breaking....big or small. They will tell you where the bars are.

huntin fool
07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
is it pretty safe to run down the beach as far as deep enough. or do you need to stay pretty far out

east side, you dont really get near as close to the beach as you can west side. east side we would have to really watch for sand bars.