PDA

View Full Version : tamales

eman
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
got some pork butt i have smoked and a couple a chickens i did in the big easy and lots of time on my hands . I think i'll try to make some tamales .
Anyone ever made them and any tips ,tricks or tactics to help out???:help:

Ray
01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
The meat part ain't hard.
Mixing the tamale dough is not hard either.
Rolling them bastids is tough.
I tried it a couple months ago with some left over smoked Pork.
Be sure to keep the dough a little wet. If it is dry, it will stick to everything.
Too wet, it will fall apart.
Make sure your husks are soft and real wet too.
Use lots of spice. If you make the Pork just right, the plain tastinng dough will make it less spicey.

eman
01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
thanks Ray.
think i am going to stew the pork in a lil red chilli sauce and the chicken in some green chilli sauce to kick it up a bit b4 wraping

Garfish
01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Gotta make sure those corn husks are damp. The massa cornmeal is hard to keep consistently moist enough not to stick. You know my Maw Maw had the secret and man could she cook that Mexican food. Were you ever able to eat any of hers when you lived in the old hood?
Hope yours turn out good.

eman
01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Iposted on fb about how much trouble they were to get right and that i didn't know how mama garcia made it look so easy. You were a little young back then but she would get up at 3 am and feed thumper bull and me tamales and eggs after we would get in from a rack attack.

longcast
01-26-2011, 10:15 PM
I just ate some tamales mcjaredsandwitch brought me from Arlington Texas. They were awesome.

Garfish
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Iposted on fb about how much trouble they were to get right and that i didn't know how mama garcia made it look so easy. You were a little young back then but she would get up at 3 am and feed thumper bull and me tamales and eggs after we would get in from a rack attack.

I know ya'll were havin a little too much fun back then esp @ the Rack. She probly gave ya'll an ear full the whole time. Her cookin was off the charts. I'm sure she really didn't mind it and loved every minute of it.

mcjaredsandwich
01-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I just ate some tamales mcjaredsandwitch brought me from Arlington Texas. They were awesome.
yes they were good. can't go wrong with the real tamales!