PDA

View Full Version : upper Calcasieu Esturary

Gerald
07-21-2009, 10:43 AM
I decided to see how the fishing was in the upper part of the area because I have heard some good reports.

I got out on the water after 8:30 AM. The small launch in Westlake had 6 trailers there so that was a good sign. I headed to Lake Charles but from the river I was looking into the sun and could not really see out into the lake.

As I was passing the Yacht club, I begain to see some Gulls out in the lake and one other boat. There was a post about a week ago that showed a "bunch" of Gulls on Big Lake. What I saw yesterday made the Big Lake picture look like a small group.

Unfortunately it was mostly Sailcats and some Lady fish. Several of the sailcats I caught were almost Trophy size....4+ lbs. But there were some Reds and Trout in the area. I caught the trout away from the areas of fast action feeding using a 3/8 oz jig to get the bait a little deeper. Sand eels caught a couple but curly tail grub seemed to work a little better with Chartruse color working better than glow/char.

The picture is just a small amout of the birds that were feeding. I est. there were several hundred Gulls that I could see.

I had to dodge some thunder storms and drove back to the launch in a down pour.

SULPHITE
07-21-2009, 10:51 AM
i bet it was gafftop and ladyfish...

huntin fool
07-21-2009, 10:53 AM
i bet it was gafftop and ladyfish...

to be 100% honest with you, i have NEVER caught gaft top/hardheads up this way,the barrier,down where the picture was taken :smokin:,.....its possible that i have but i dont remeber of me ever catching one down there

did you try the barrier any??

Gerald
07-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I did not make it up to the Barrier. A boat came from there as I was launching and said that they caught a few early.....but the bite had stopped????

I went down toward 210 bridge to see if I could find more trout but got caught between a thunder storm in the downtown area and another storm moving in from the west. I put on the rain suit and headed north. I hit the rain before getting to the I-10 bridge.....a real gully washer and lots of lighting.

If you just want lots of action and can put up with catfish......Lake Charles is the place right now. You can also catch some trout and reds there.

SULPHITE
07-21-2009, 11:16 AM
reason being...had some buddies that fished birds like that on the north end and thats all they caught...

huntin fool
07-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I did not make it up to the Barrier. A boat came from there as I was launching and said that they caught a few early.....but the bite had stopped????

I went down toward 210 bridge to see if I could find more trout but got caught between a thunder storm in the downtown area and another storm moving in from the west. I put on the rain suit and headed north. I hit the rain before getting to the I-10 bridge.....a real gully washer and lots of lighting.

If you just want lots of action and can put up with catfish......Lake Charles is the place right now. You can also catch some trout and reds there.

my good friends have been limiting out on reds down in prien and all the way up, as a matter of fact, my wading location that i told you about, they limited out 2 people reds,5 trout.

Gerald
07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
There was bait everywhere where the Gulls were feeding. There were a fair amount Trout also feeding.....sometimes they feed close to the boat but could not get them to make a second strike most of the time.

Maybe "Croker soaking" would have worked better.

huntin fool
07-21-2009, 11:33 AM
There was bait everywhere where the Gulls were feeding. There were a fair amount Trout also feeding.....sometimes they feed close to the boat but could not get them to make a second strike most of the time.

Maybe "Croker soaking" would have worked better.

yesterday they went,and limited out in prien,with good reds...(not 16in. but bigger like 26's)

"W"
07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Went out today and it SUCKED...What a few days make..Only fished to 9:30am when we gave up...Winds were 15+ water was muddy and reefs I have been fishing you were unable to hold on them....We did catch some small trout but PTFFFFFFFFF.....Not Fighting that

cmdrost
07-21-2009, 02:03 PM
reason being...had some buddies that fished birds like that on the north end and thats all they caught...

danged whiskers :headknocker:

Ray
07-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Went out today and it SUCKED...What a few days make..Only fished to 9:30am when we gave up...Winds were 15+ water was muddy and reefs I have been fishing you were unable to hold on them....We did catch some small trout but PTFFFFFFFFF.....Not Fighting that

I said Sunday that the weather would go to crap and the water will turn chocolate brown as soon as I get in from offshore. Guess what, I just got home.

SULPHITE
07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
danged whiskers :headknocker:

I saw the pic! LOL!!!

jpeff31787
07-21-2009, 02:45 PM
when i first read the post i thought it said sacalait under the birds! I was about to get excited lol I need a tour guide to show me all of the good areas to fish over there. Ya'll are so lucky to live so close!!

killa k
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
going right now, will have a report around 7 for you guys.

huntin fool
07-21-2009, 03:23 PM
going right now, will have a report around 7 for you guys.

same here...might be going around 5 ish though

"W"
07-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I said Sunday that the weather would go to crap and the water will turn chocolate brown as soon as I get in from offshore. Guess what, I just got home.

Well it did.....You know its bad when guide boats were coming in at 10am also:confused:

killa k
07-21-2009, 04:08 PM
weather channel sux, said this mess wasn't going to be here until 6. noaa came on the radio right as we were pulling out the drive said it would hit at 4pm, been raining for 6 minutes.
Did go down to the lake made a few casts from the bank into the 20mph breeze, caught 1 red on about the fifth cast, missed several after that. Maybe in the morning....

huntin fool
07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
weather channel sux, said this mess wasn't going to be here until 6. noaa came on the radio right as we were pulling out the drive said it would hit at 4pm, been raining for 6 minutes.
Did go down to the lake made a few casts from the bank into the 20mph breeze, caught 1 red on about the fifth cast, missed several after that. Maybe in the morning....

they said the sea wall has been producing good reds with dead shrimp....i was gunna go bass fish....but i dont roll dead shwimp on da bottom

killa k
07-21-2009, 05:12 PM
caught him on a white h&h cocahoe.

Raymond
07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Try accuweather.com I believe they are more accurate day in day out.:)