PDA

View Full Version : mud lake

adamsfence
07-21-2009, 05:39 PM
went to pick up my boat today its fixed. thanks dhp. my buddy wanted me to come look at some work at his house in sulphur. when i got there he asked if i wanted to go with him to check his crab traps. sure its raining in oakdale and i can't work so i went. he told me to grab a pole just in case. anyway we went to his lease in the marsh by mud lake. caught a limit of reds. and he gave me 5 dozen crabs. caught all the reds sittin in a lawn chair on the bank. thats a first for me.

Hebert
07-21-2009, 05:56 PM
damn them crabs look good! nice boat!

adamsfence
07-21-2009, 07:05 PM
damn them crabs look good! nice boat!

they will be tomorow when they hit that pot.....thanks on the boat

express07
07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Adamsfence, where is mud lake?

adamsfence
07-21-2009, 08:22 PM
to the west of the ship channel in cameron almost to holly beach. I think it is private land. he is leasing part of the marsh around it. we was fishing the edge of the lake. first time i've ever been there. didn't know about it till today

Nasty
07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Nice boat-- Fence man!

express07
07-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Looks like a honey hole. Nice to have a spot to hit that doesn't require a boat. Good catch!

adamsfence
07-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Nice boat-- Fence man!

i looked at that prop again couldn't find the pitch

Nasty
07-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for looking again!

swamp snorkler
07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Nice rig you have there. Those crabs will be dead tomorrow if you don't flip them right side up. But they do look nice.

adamsfence
07-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Nice rig you have there. Those crabs will be dead tomorrow if you don't flip them right side up. But they do look nice.

i put them on ice will they be ok i don't deal with crabs alot

Gerald
07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Crabs….How to keep in ice chest 5-09

Keep them cool...

It is best if the ice does not touch the crabs.
Cover the crabs with a wet towel and then put a good layer of ice on top of the towel. Then put the ice chest in the shade, crack open the drain plug and tilt up the opposite end a little so any water will drain out.

Add ice as needed. If you are buying bag ice from the store....it does not last very long before it melts. Ice cubes or small blocks of ice last much longer. If you let all the ice melt, the crabs will go bad in a couple of hours.
It is best if you do this away from the house.....the water will smell some.

swamp snorkler
07-21-2009, 09:28 PM
crabs….how to keep in ice chest 5-09

keep them cool...

it is best if the ice does not touch the crabs.
cover the crabs with a wet towel and then put a good layer of ice on top of the towel. Then put the ice chest in the shade, crack open the drain plug and tilt up the opposite end a little so any water will drain out.

add ice as needed. If you are buying bag ice from the store....it does not last very long before it melts. Ice cubes or small blocks of ice last much longer. If you let all the ice melt, the crabs will go bad in a couple of hours.
it is best if you do this away from the house.....the water will smell some.

do this and make sure they all right side up

SKnox
07-22-2009, 12:16 AM
How long will they last like this?

Gerald
07-22-2009, 01:39 AM
I think I kept some 2 days one time and they were fine.

Never tried to keep them any longer. Most of the time, I cook them the next day.

If the crabs are not cool.....they will drop there claws when they hit the hot water.

I have heard that if you put crabs that are not cool......into cool water and them bring it to a boil, the crabs will not drop the claws

Feesherman
07-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Dang looks like most of dem crabs are females.

jdaugereau
07-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Used to hunt there and fish in the summer but was under the impression the Lake was leased for comercial fishing and you couldn't navigate it in a boat because it was considered private. Heard different opinions on this and looked for launches into Mud Lake but never found one. Have to assume it is closed to the public like more and more areas across Louisiana are becoming. All part of that BIG CHANGE we were promised. Gotta love that Ol' Tyme Government that just continues to keep on takin' care of us!!!:cool:

fun w son
07-22-2009, 12:21 PM
tell your buddy if he ever needs someone to go look at the work on his house again, I'll be GLAD to go! if that's what he sends you home with?!?!?!?!

Big Flounder
07-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Looks like a good day of work to me!

Ray
07-22-2009, 05:47 PM
A lot of the land around the lake is owned by the Henry family from Cameron.
One of the family has the gator tags for the lake.

jdaugereau
07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Not looking to fish from the bank and certainly not looking to mess with any gators, just wanted to fish the lake for some reds. But hey, I'll take my bait and play elsewhere. Would be nice to fish an area protected from the wind like Mud Lake. The hunting was nice in there too. One of those places every father would want to take his kids.

swamp snorkler
07-22-2009, 09:52 PM
How long will they last like this?
Up to 3 days 4 is pushing it. Shrimp will stay good on ice for 2-3 weeks.

Ray
07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I was wrong, it was the Davis family who owns some of the land around it, maybe all of it. The Davis grandson who hunts alligators is a Henry from Cameron.