PDA

View Full Version : Introducing "Sweetass"

Finfeatherfur
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
This is my buds boat (new to him) that we picked up Monday. Went get it down in Venice and made it all the way back to Rayne, LA on I-10 and blew a bearing. He is quickly learning what it is to own a boat! LMAO!

The interior and electronics of the 31' Contender are mint condition. However, this boat was purchased by a guide in Venice to use as a spill response boat and stayed in the water down in Venice during the BP thing. Once it was out, they used an acid to clean the hull and really trashed it. He got a great deal on it, so he is removing all the old pale blue curtains/top, gonna remove the old nasty blue anti-fouling paint bottom, and have the outside redone.

We are going to re-do the bottom in Razorback red, water sand the white and top cap, then polish, then install new red top canvas and red decals. The boat came with everything but tackle as the guide is going back to inshore only charters. The trailer is going in Friday morning to have 6 new tires, all bearings and seals replaced, brakes checked, and during the summer we will probably media blast and clear coat while the boat is being used. Came w/ 3 outriggers and 2 Cannon downriggers, 2 VHF, Sounder, GPS, and Radar, full curtain package w/ side sheilds, anchor and rope. It was purchased in SC w/ 304 hours on it, we picked it up w/ 633hrs. Also had a 3 ring binder from SC for all maintenance that was done on boat while owned by 3 elderly men. Can't wait to see it all shined up.

Bluechip
03-02-2011, 03:11 PM
It definitely has potential. That is a lot of fiberglass.

Take some pics when y'all get it remodeled.

Finfeatherfur
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Will do! His plans are to run these old 250's one more summer, then go to 300 Yammy 4 strokes next year!

meaux fishing
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
nice boat... cant wait to see it after its all fixed up

longcast
03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Nice. Gonna be a great summer.

joshdomingue
03-02-2011, 03:59 PM
He's got a lot of plans !!!! Hope he's got a good job!!!!!

longsidelandry
03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
He's got a lot of plans !!!! Hope he's got a good job!!!!!
x2, I'm just hoping I'll be able to afford to run my boat!

wtretrievers
03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
That's a weirs special right there! That's lot of cleaning & waxing!!!

Ray
03-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Finesse It. It is a polish/wax that you put on with a buffer.
It takes the dull chalky stuff right off and makes it shine.
No hard rubbing.
Not sure if I spelled it correctly.

calcutta37
03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
man them motors gonna suck up that fuel better get them four strokes soon gas is going up.

Finfeatherfur
03-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Did I mention he needed to spend some money before Uncle Sam got it. Trust me fellas, he could have bought a new one! His address is "Hal Sutton Drive - Haughton, La" if that gives you any indication!!!!

yak'em-n-stack'em
03-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Haynesville shell money?

Finfeatherfur
03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Haynesville shell money?
Nope, he owns a company w/ 2 other guys that have 11 sub companies, all pushing business to each other in the oilfield.

catch.and.fillet
03-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Did I mention he needed to spend some money before Uncle Sam got it.

Sweetass must have a head....

Looks like it'll be a fun project...it'll be sweet with those 300's

goldenrod
03-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I was wondering who that big rig was for.

Ray
03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Venice Marina used to have a Contender dealership there.
At one time, that was about all the outboards that ran out of there.

Ray
03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I saw it at Olmsted Shipyard today getting polished and waxed.

Finfeatherfur
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Dang Ray, your fast!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just dropped it off today at noon. Was any work being done on it when you saw it? Also, Max sure seems to know his stuff on boats! The old place has been around for years, and it was several years since I have been. Asked today when they opened, and was shocked to hear 1938.

Ray
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
There was one guy polishing it. Half of the crew has been sick the past few days.
Max is a master at fiberglass work. Good people.
I saw it around 2 pm today.
I had some scratches and gelcoat chips on my 30 year old Chris Craft and they
matched the old gelcoat perfectly.
Polishing and waxing is an easy job. They usually have 10 or more boats in line for major fiberglass work.
If'n I got there earlier, I would have been able to meet you. Maybe next time.
Their dad opened that business when he got out of the Navy.

cajunhntr03
03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Max is a master at fiberglass work. Good people.
Their dad opened that business when he got out of the Navy.

Agree witcha on most of what you saying but gotta clear up a small point The shipyard did open in '38 But Max's dad (my gpa) was only !7 then My g gpa started the shipyard My gpa did go into the navy and was in Pearl Harbor Dec 7 1941 When gpa got out the navy he went to work at the shipyard with his dad until he died around 1950

Not trying to be rude or arrogant Just saying And yes they do great fiberglass work They just finished working on mine :)

cmdrost
03-09-2011, 09:10 AM

saw it there yesterday.....looks like a nice boat with tons of potential!!

Finfeatherfur
03-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Agree witcha on most of what you saying but gotta clear up a small point The shipyard did open in '38 But Max's dad (my gpa) was only !7 then My g gpa started the shipyard My gpa did go into the navy and was in Pearl Harbor Dec 7 1941 When gpa got out the navy he went to work at the shipyard with his dad until he died around 1950

Not trying to be rude or arrogant Just saying And yes they do great fiberglass work They just finished working on mine :)

Thanks for the update - I love going to old places like that, and I got to bring my boys w/ me since they were out of school that day. It was almost 20 years since I was there and I didn't remember Max, but I was there for some other business and not getting a boat worked on. Was actually seizing one that was there for a court proceeding, thus didn't have anything to do w/ the owners of the place. Good people for sure!

Finfeatherfur
03-09-2011, 10:07 AM
saw it there yesterday.....looks like a nice boat with tons of potential!!
Chas- I saw a crazy looking flats boat there, was that for you?

cmdrost
03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
no sir! I'm still in the Frontier. I didn't see it, but I drive by daily. I'll have to look for it.

ETA - But Max has done some work for me before. They do a great job!!

Ray
03-09-2011, 11:20 AM

They told me the story about how it got started, but I guess I screwed that up.

cajunhntr03
03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
no prob Just telling ya what i knew And by the way my gpa died right before Rita so now its just max and Fluffy

Ray
03-09-2011, 09:47 PM
The Contender is no longer there.
Did it come out good?

Ray
03-09-2011, 09:48 PM
no prob Just telling ya what i knew And by the way my gpa died right before Rita so now its just max and Fluffy

I keep an old Chris Craft there, in the covered slips.
How you kin to Fluffy and Max?

cajunhntr03
03-10-2011, 09:50 PM
de my uncles

Finfeatherfur
03-11-2011, 05:33 PM
The Contender is no longer there.
Did it come out good?

Yep, it's still there Ray! It's inside right now getting the blue paint stripe sanded and the black paint stripe painted on.

Will be at least another week to week and a half before it is ready.