PDA

View Full Version : Henderson

EvinFord
03-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Fishing continues to be good in Henderson. Not catching big numbers, but the quality of fish continues to improve. Caught about 25-30 on Friday right before the front with 3 of them over 3 lbs and one pushing 4. Went again yesterday and caught this brute. She was right on the bank and was full of eggs. I released her to spawn.

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=359&pictureid=2416

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=359&pictureid=2417

Jordan
03-08-2011, 10:27 AM
nice job

BIGJ
03-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Nice fish. Support Catch & Release

BassAssasin
03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
That's awesome! I can't wait to get back home to hit it up

EvinFord
03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know the regulations for Henderson? When I was fishing the other day some guys at the launch were saying the limit was 10 bass per person per day with a size limit of 12". I have been fishing Henderson for years and have always practiced the 14" limit with 10 fish per day. Is this correct? Couldn't find anything on the LA Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries website that specifically pertained to Henderson.

yfd611
03-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Last I heard, it was 14", 10 fish. The LDWF website lists 14" as the minimum and 10 as the limit for Atchafalya Basin bass.

www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/freshwater-recreational-state-creel-and-size-limits

EvinFord
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks yfd611, that is what I thought too. I am not 100% familiar with where the basin starts and stops and it didn't list Henderson specifically so I just wanted to make sure. I have just seen a few people keeping undersized fish out there and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Speaking of the Atchafalya, I noticed that the river is rising, but I am not noticing that much of a rise in the water level in the past week at Henderson. The water was a little muddier yesterday than it was Friday, but doesn't seem to be any higher. How much does the water level in the river effect the water level in Henderson. If it affects it a lot, where can I go to find out the water level? I am trying to learn Henderson really well this year and I am definitely catching more fish, but still trying to learn how to read when is a good time to go and when to look at water levels and save my gas.

yfd611
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
now you're past what i can offer you. i'm pretty much in the same boat. trying to learn it well myself. fairly new to fishing that area myself. i can't remember the website off the top of my head, but there is an official website that lists the river stages and projected river stages. i'll look it up later, unless someone comes along in the meantime and answers your questions.

huntin fool
03-08-2011, 06:53 PM
now you're past what i can offer you. i'm pretty much in the same boat. trying to learn it well myself. fairly new to fishing that area myself. i can't remember the website off the top of my head, but there is an official website that lists the river stages and projected river stages. i'll look it up later, unless someone comes along in the meantime and answers your questions.
noaa.gov?

jakekern
03-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Great catch, and good to see you released her. This is Jake with Kern's Landing in Henderson. Spoke to a couple of guys who eached caught their limit of 10 bass, over the weekend. Another gentleman caught 17 with 7 keepers which he released back. So yes the fishing in Henderson is comming back!

PaulMyers
03-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Nice catch!

Sent from my EVO

whunter29
03-08-2011, 09:07 PM
When the gauge acth. gauge hits 10 feet the river starts backing into Henderson. Don't let that deter you from fishing Henderson though as I can catch bass there almost anytime under any conditions.

Gerald
03-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Here is a link to the Butte La Rose, LA Atchafalaya river gauge reading.

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/uv/?site_no=07381515&PARAmeter_cd=00065,72020,63160,00060

The Henderson "Swamp" area is connected to the Atchafalaya river by way of small bayous about 10 miles to the south. There is also a small "water control" structure a few miles south of the Henderson area....along the level on the west side.

Due to the water control structure and long distance away from the Atchafalaya river, the water level in the Henderson swamp is slow to change and does not rise and fall the same as the A. river.

Then up by US 190 hwy there is another water control structure where they can release water which flows into the Henderson swamp. It is my recollection that this structure is only opened during times when the water levels north of there are really high.

Opinions_Vary
03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&cb_63160=on&format=gif_default&period=7&site_no=302020091435700

This is a link for Lake Pelba... It will tell you exactly what's going on in Henderson. Fishing is at it's best when Pelba is around 11 - 12ft and falling. Good luck.

Chance
03-09-2011, 10:03 AM
I was gonna come crappie fishing this coming Sunday thru Wednesday (first time to Henderson) but looking at the reports may wait fir the Bream spawn