PDA

View Full Version : My project

QUACKHEAD
04-17-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm putting 2 250 gal propane tanks on an old trailer and converting them to
Bar-B-Que / smokers. Each door will have a 31 inch x 24 inch pull out expanded metal tray. I hope to have it painted and complete before Sept. for a couple of Festivals that has B-B-Q cook off's. I'll add more pics as the project continues. :work::work::smokin:

LPfishnTIM
04-17-2011, 10:10 PM
dang,that will hold some briskets and ribs!

Bluechip
04-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Looking good bro...I love those type of projects, keep the pics coming as you progress to completion.

longcast
04-17-2011, 10:16 PM
That's awesome bro. Keep us posted on the progress.

QUACKHEAD
04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
dang,that will hold some briskets and ribs!

and a case of chicken and a couple of shoulders and a whole hog.:spineyes::grinpimp: I'm Still looking for a 75 to 100 gal tank for the fire box. It needs to be a cylinder type and not a ball shaped tank. If anyone has a tank like it and need someone to hall it away, let me know. If possible I'd like to get it.

SaltyShaw
04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Bad Arse!! Love to have something like that! Post pics of the build looks like a good start.

mcjaredsandwich
04-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Almost doing it as big as us Texans. Nice rig, will like to see it completed!

Jordan
04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
very nice QUACK..... cant wait to see the completed pics

QUACKHEAD
04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Found my fire box tank. Going to pick it up this weekend. I also have the smoke stack that still needs to be put in. Hope to work on it some more this weekend. Thanks guys for the encouragement. I think it will be jam up when completed.`

mcjaredsandwich
04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
SaltyCajun BBQ festivals.
Sounds good to me.

QUACKHEAD
04-18-2011, 03:43 PM
With all the home chef pro's we could have a charity cook off with a meat meet and greet on a Saturday, followed by a crawfish or crab boil for Sunday Lunch. $25 for entry with 3/4 pay out to 1st and 2nd place, and 1/4 to charity. Plates selling for $5.00 with B-B-Q beans and mac and cheese. All plate monies going to charity. I think it could work with a few volunteers to make the mac n cheese and beans. I know there are other items needed for the plate lunches such as the plates, sporks, trash containers and much more planning, but it could be done with a good committee.

QUACKHEAD
07-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Here's a couple of update pictures. I have all four trays completed, all four doors cut with hinges. A fire box on one tank and the smoke stacks welded in place. I am still looking for an old 7 gal propane tank to make the fire box for the other side. I also need to make my handles for the 4 doors, I am going to add a swivel tray that will sit just above the primary tray. Then sand blast it and paint with high temp of course. I haven't decided on the colors yet. Use to you had black only, but now there are a few out there. I did do a seasoning burn in it this past weekend. I hope to cook something in it soon but still have a couple more burns to do to it.:smokin:
It is slow going now that the temperatures are as hot as the welding rods, but I try to do a little each weekend.
I'm sorry for the picture quality, it taken with the cell phone in the middle of the day.

meaux fishing
07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Looking good Brian

eman
07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
How big is the opening between the fire box and cooking chamber ?
Did you use the calculator to figure the hole size?

QUACKHEAD
07-14-2011, 08:03 AM
I measured a unit a friend has. My first seasoned burn I got the temp up to 500 with no problem. I only used 3 split pieces about 20 inches long from my fireplace wood pile. Plus that was with open exhaust pipes. I didn't close it any. I also still need to weld the frame on the doors which will help keep the heat and smoke in the cooking chamber. When I did the season burn, I got some smoke and heat released from around the doors, but not as much as I had expected, the air flow went to the smoke stack. I'm still going to add the frame around the doors with 1 x 1/8 flat stock. The trays slide in and out with a 4 inch piece of 2x2 angle iron welded on the tray shelf so they will not flip out while pulled out to flip the meat. eman, the opening doesn't look very big in the pic, but it is 11 x 8. Most of the opening is under the tank. I also have a some plate welded above the hole inside to channel the flame along the bottom and keep the flame from burning the meat in the first tray. I hope to finish up on the welding soon and can start adding the cosmetics to it. Then prep and paint.

evidrine
07-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Looking good man! Cant wait to see the end result. Pretty cool! Im willing to bet you got some major heat coming from those things when you got them both fired up!

QUACKHEAD
07-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Looking good man! Cant wait to see the end result. Pretty cool! Im willing to bet you got some major heat coming from those things when you got them both fired up!

They probley would but when I go to cook on them, I'll try to keep the temp more around 250 F. To season a new pit I get them around 500 for an hour or so then let them cool down as the fire burns out.

Driftwood
07-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Lake Arthur Butane still has some they picked up after Rita. They are stored by the L.A. High School.

QUACKHEAD
07-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks driftwood, next time I'm down that way I'll try to remember and call them. Welcome aboard the Salty Cajun.

QUACKHEAD
08-02-2011, 07:45 AM
A couple more pics, as one pit is near completion and now will start on the finishing touches to pit #2.:grinpimp::smokin:
The meat showing is half a hog. And I mean a hog. That was about 65 lbs of pork there.

DUCKGOGETTER
08-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Looks good