PDA

View Full Version : Grass Fed Louisiana Beef and Goats

meaux fishing
07-29-2009, 11:24 AM
If you are intrested in delicious Louisiana grown meats that are not treated with any kind of growth horomones check out this link. It is my familys farm a few miles southwest of Lafayette

http://www.brookshirefarm.com/

Zachary Boy
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I followed your link to your family's website. It is great. I have been curious about goat meat after hearing about it on FOX news. I can't wait to try some. I have fooled with cattle off and on for a few years and I know how much hard work and dedication farming requires. I have a small 50 acre tract in Mississippi that I think may be suitable for a small goat ranch operation primarily to feed my family. In spite of the 'rosey' picture our leaders forecast, I do believe there are ' hard times' still ahead of us and I would like to be more prepared by becoming less reliant and more self-sufficient. Thanks again for posting the link to Brookshire Farms.

slip knot
08-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Been raising goats for a few years now and love it. I get one butchered about twice a year. I have the butcher make sausage and ground meat out of it and its good. Very similiar to deer meat and much healthier that beef. goat is actually leaner than chicken.
I got into goats as a tax dodge but have been making money on them and the accountant is making pay taxes on em. I sold 12 kids at a local auction house and got $800 for the lot. goats are very prolific with twins being normal and triples too. goats dont require a lot of feed if browse is good but do require a reglar worming routine and hoof trimming. we work our goats quarterly. The beauty of goats is that the wife and I can work a dozen goats in 30 minutes. we couldn't do that with our cattle.
if you want some good information on raising goats go to the Langston University website. just type in LURES on your search and you will find it. I've learned a lot from the site even tho it is in oklahoma.
The wife and I really enjoy our goats and wish we had gotten started years earlier. Good luck to you. SK

slip knot
08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey Meaux fishing ; good site will have to try some of the recipes. Ya gotta try Goat sauce picant (sp?) its good. Any good picant recipe works. SK

southern151
08-13-2009, 09:31 PM
"Even tho it's in Oklahoma" ???

You know, Oklahoma is one of the top producing states in agriculture and livestock. LA isn't the only "great" state. I can only hope that this was a plug at Salty and not genuine sentiment.

slip knot
08-13-2009, 09:59 PM
no sentiment included, way too many OU fans on this site to go bad mothin em too much. As i said I learned a lot from the LURES site but dont want all the haters getting on my case like i'm an OU fan or somethin.

Then we get into the Alumni vs non alumni , and then the poser factor comes up and I get sooo confused, dont know who i can support anymore. too much represion/recession/depression. i think i need a beer.SK

LittleRob
08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
no sentiment included, way too many OU fans on this site to go bad mothin em too much. As i said I learned a lot from the LURES site but dont want all the haters getting on my case like i'm an OU fan or somethin.

Then we get into the Alumni vs non alumni , and then the poser factor comes up and I get sooo confused, dont know who i can support anymore. too much represion/recession/depression. i think i need a beer.SK

Amen

Zachary Boy
08-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Slip Knot thanks for the info. and encouragement. Why is everybody so 'thin-skinned'? Geeze!!!

Hebert
08-22-2009, 05:59 PM
goat meat is good! love it in a indian curry

meaux fishing
02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
brought some steaks for the guys when we went to Venice... they can vouch for the quality of the beef

PaulMyers
02-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh Hell yes it is good, I'll be ordering soon. Thanks again Bob.

Sent from my EVO

Big Kahunaz
02-24-2011, 02:10 AM
brought some steaks for the guys when we went to Venice... they can vouch for the quality of the beef

X2...(by the way meaux....I'll trade ya some Tuna Steaks for a beef loin!) :-P