PDA

View Full Version : Finally going on our offshore trip!

longsidelandry
05-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Looks like we're FINALLY going on our offshore fishing trip out of Venice! We'll be heading out after work today and leaving the dock early tomorrow morning for a day of fishing in the Gulf. I've only been once before so I'm super pumped up about it. I just hope we catch some fish!!!

Dink
05-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Winds under 10 today, checked it a few minutes ago......I hope you catch a ton!!! You need the break!

speck-chaser
05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
hope you do well man

Micah
05-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Hope yall rip em a new *******

longsidelandry
05-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys, tomorrow can't come fast enough! We'll be heading out with Team Blue Runner (Blue Runner Foods) on their 35 foot Triton with trip 300 Verado's on the back!!

meaux fishing
05-10-2011, 10:07 AM
good luck Ross

specktator
05-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Nice dude! Just left Delcambre visiting my good customer Mike LeBlanc at Leblanc Oil. He told me you are good friends with his son.

longsidelandry
05-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Nice dude! Just left Delcambre visiting my good customer Mike LeBlanc at Leblanc Oil. He told me you are good friends with his son.

Yep, Kip and I have been very good friends since early in high school, had way too many good times to count.

specktator
05-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Yep, Kip and I have been very good friends since early in high school, had way too many good times to count.

Yeh we started talking about how his son was same age as me and that we played football against each other, he was the QB. And i remembered you sayin u graduated in 2002 as well so i asked him if he knew you.

longsidelandry
05-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Yeh we started talking about how his son was same age as me and that we played football against each other, he was the QB. And i remembered you sayin u graduated in 2002 as well so i asked him if he knew you.

Where you went to school?

specktator
05-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Where you went to school?

Opelousas Catholic

longsidelandry
05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Opelousas Catholic

You know Nick Guidroz?

specktator
05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
You know Nick Guidroz?

Yep we were very good friends growing up and in high school. I haven't seen him in a few years.

longsidelandry
05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Yep we were very good friends growing up and in high school. I haven't seen him in a few years.

I work with him here in Lafayette

specktator
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I work with him here in Lafayette

Cool tell him Seth Dupuis said what's up!!

BayBolt23
05-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Good luck dude! Take some pics for us

Montauk17
05-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Good thing is if the tuna don't bite you got plenty of red beans and rice. :D

all star rod
05-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Longside good luck, I hope you tear them up!

Salty
05-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Good luck, Ross, and have fun.

PaulMyers
05-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Good luck on your trip!

Sent from my EVO

longsidelandry
05-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Just got settled down at home from the trip and man I had an awesome time! We ended up getting a late start due to boat problems, the trim tabs weren't working, so we had to turn around and go swap boats. We got everything transferred from the Blue Runner boat to Capt. Will's boat and headed back out. Stopped at the first rig and picked up some live bait real quick then headed to the Shell Ursa. Got there but nothing was showing up so we made a run to the Shell Mars and the screen started lighting up. We got everything rigged up and ready and on our 2nd drift my reel started screaming! Fought my first tuna for about a few minutes then pulled him in the boat. A few drifts later the same thing happened but this one took a little longer to land but I got him in the boat as well. I also caught a blackfin and a couple rainbow runners. We ended the day with 4 yellowfin and 2 blackfin. We tried trolling for wahoo but they wouldn't come up for the bits so we decided to shut it down and head in since it was getting pretty rough, 1-2s my ***!!! More like 4-5s but all in all it was an awesome day with some great people. I had a great time with Dal and Ricky, owners of Blue Runner Foods, and Capt. Will with Palagic Charters for taking us out there. Here's a few pics from the trip and a pic of the after effect from shrimping Saturday and fishing Wednesday!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

blackmamba
05-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Good week for you Ross!!

longsidelandry
05-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Good week for you Ross!!

Yea man, it's been a damn good week for me! I'm trying to end it right by going fishing around the bay tomorrow morning (hopefully).

LPfishnTIM
05-13-2011, 07:43 PM
nice catch!

Jordan
05-14-2011, 08:58 AM
hell yeah ross..... nice job..

booyagasha
05-14-2011, 04:07 PM
gawwww...i love some tuna steak....the meat is amazing...how you cook it?? sauteed' with butter and onions??

longsidelandry
05-14-2011, 08:38 PM
gawwww...i love some tuna steak....the meat is amazing...how you cook it?? sauteed' with butter and onions??

Thursday night was the first time I've ever cooked tuna steak but all I did was sear it in a black iron skillet with butter and lemon pepper and it came out awesome. I ended up with 17 quart bags with 4 steaks a piece! I also have a gallon bag of chunks that were too small to make steaks with so tomorrow I'm gonna separate that into quart bags also and use that to make some tuna salad with.

Finfeatherfur
05-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Thursday night was the first time I've ever cooked tuna steak but all I did was sear it in a black iron skillet with butter and lemon pepper and it came out awesome. I ended up with 17 quart bags with 4 steaks a piece! I also have a gallon bag of chunks that were too small to make steaks with so tomorrow I'm gonna separate that into quart bags also and use that to make some tuna salad with.

Way to go Mr. Landry!!!! Sounds like you are hooked!

Just FYI, not sure how often you will be eating tuna, but this may help on your next trip. Their meat is incredible, but to me it seems it does not have the shelf life in the freezer as do some of the other things we catch. I can keep specks/reds/flounder for quite a while w/o noticing any funny "fishy" taste. Tuna seems to develope that funny taste faster. I met an old Asian fish buyer about 12 years ago and he showed my how to pack tuna to make it taste like it was right out the water, even though it was in the freezer for 8 months!

Leave the hide on the fish and freeze it in as large a section as you can. Before placing your "chunk" of tuna in a vacumn seal bag, wrap a paper towel around it. Once defrosted in water on the day you are to cook it, remove the skin from the outside of the fish, then shave a thin layer away to the other sides of it. The tuna flesh is protected from decomp by the skin and towel. Works like a charm and our cerviche and sashimi is just like it is on the boat! Hope that helps and didn't mean to hy-jack your thread!

longsidelandry
05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Way to go Mr. Landry!!!! Sounds like you are hooked!

Just FYI, not sure how often you will be eating tuna, but this may help on your next trip. Their meat is incredible, but to me it seems it does not have the shelf life in the freezer as do some of the other things we catch. I can keep specks/reds/flounder for quite a while w/o noticing any funny "fishy" taste. Tuna seems to develope that funny taste faster. I met an old Asian fish buyer about 12 years ago and he showed my how to pack tuna to make it taste like it was right out the water, even though it was in the freezer for 8 months!

Leave the hide on the fish and freeze it in as large a section as you can. Before placing your "chunk" of tuna in a vacumn seal bag, wrap a paper towel around it. Once defrosted in water on the day you are to cook it, remove the skin from the outside of the fish, then shave a thin layer away to the other sides of it. The tuna flesh is protected from decomp by the skin and towel. Works like a charm and our cerviche and sashimi is just like it is on the boat! Hope that helps and didn't mean to hy-jack your thread!
Wish I woulda known that before I cut it into steaks and froze it. The guys I was with said that I should be good up to 6 weeks before it starts getting "fishy" but they usually try to wipe it out in 3 weeks. I may swap someone for some reds on the halfshell because my wife doesn't like tuna but loves reds so 17 quart bags of tuna steaks would be kinda hard for me to take out by myself and the occasional cook out at the house!