PDA

View Full Version : cat vs mono hull

fishinpox
08-06-2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.twinvee.com/Boats/CenterConsole/22BayCatAllNew/tabid/259/Default.aspx

anyone been on one of these ?? i want a new boat that is smooth riding and dry. i read these cats have shallow draft but big water posibilities. i wanna be able to run to the islands and not get whooped and be able to run offshore easier. what yall think pros cons. i heard cats "slap" very hard when hitting seas head on but the are great in cross seas

Ray
08-06-2009, 08:45 PM
The guys next to my brother in laws camp in Grand Isle have the Twin Vee 26 ft'er. They night fish offshore and have no issues. They bring a couple bean bags with them and fish in shifts. They go 80 miles out, kinda far for a 26 ft'er, in my opinion.

LaAngler
08-06-2009, 10:43 PM
thought twin vee is out of business

for some reason the bay cats never caught on over here, in texas they run the shallow water cats

Ray
08-06-2009, 10:53 PM
The guys next to my B.I.L. said the same thing about them being out of business, but the website shows different.
I thought they didn't know what they were talking about. They bought theirs at Boat Stuf in Slidell and said that the dealer had some new boats left, but wouldn't warranty them because the company was bankrupt and wouldn't pay them back for warranty work.

Hopedale Hustler
08-06-2009, 11:07 PM
look at world cats mah best friend has a 34 ..its bad ***..has twin 350 mercruisers in it specially built...it rolls for big ole cat.

YellaBlazer
08-06-2009, 11:16 PM
I had a chance to take a good look at one like this at the N.O. Boat Show this year. It was not very impressive. It may have been just that particular one on the floor, but the overall finish made the boat look cheap.

I have a friend that runs a 26' Twin Vee out of Venice. It has a tendency to "sneeze" in head seas, but never slams or slaps hard. The boat will run 26-28mph in 3' seas comfortably and top out at about 35 WOT, so it's a little on the slow side. Another little quirk is the way it leans slightly outward in a turn, like a car. It makes some people nervous the first time they're on it.

If a cat is really what you want, there are a lot of others out there that will perform better and keep you dry. I run a 26' World Cat and it's by far the best one that I've fished out of. Glacier Bay also makes a good cat, but it's also a bit slow. Whichever you pick, make sure you test drive one. They do drive differently than a v-hull.

Capt. Ryan Rachunek
08-07-2009, 10:00 AM
thought twin vee is out of business

for some reason the bay cats never caught on over here, in texas they run the shallow water cats

Shallow cats aren't all we run...... There are just a few "fast cats" roaming these waters.... Bay cats probably haven't caught on over there cause of the big water you get in Big Lake.... Cats are real good in the chop, but can be a little more rough in the big stuff....

fishinpox
08-07-2009, 02:28 PM
talk to the boat dealer today they said twin vee is out of business and thier warranty is up in the air right now they are gong to court next week world cat is trying to buy them and they will know more about they warranty carrying over if they do buy them out. i looking for the worst possible day to do a sea trail in ponchatrain !!!!

Capt. Ryan Rachunek
08-07-2009, 04:27 PM
World Cats are really nice boats.... I've fished out of the 290CC and 320EC... Awesome ride as long as it doesn't get too big and sloppy....

Deadly D
08-07-2009, 04:32 PM
World Cats are really nice boats.... I've fished out of the 290CC and 320EC... Awesome ride as long as it doesn't get too big and sloppy....when you say sloppy are you talking 3to5 or5to7

yak'em-n-stack'em
08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I def like the idea of the bay boat style cats, really stable no matter what.

I know the big twin vees are amazing, we went in one at the houston boat show and the space in the boat was amazing and the rep was telling us that he has owned 2 and will never go back to mono