PDA

View Full Version : Ok, back to the Electric Fans

iron man
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
We all know that fans push better than pull and I am thinking of putting some electric fans on my truck. I was just washing off the front getting all the bugs off and I came up with the idea that I can possibly mount electric fans on the outside of the radiator right behind the grille. Anyone see how this would or wouldn't work?

Kenner18
06-22-2011, 04:17 PM
There are fans for both applications ,push or pull. I have seen both inside and outside mounted. Only issue I can see with outside mounting is possible damamge from road debris,such as a bird or such getting caught in it .

iron man
06-22-2011, 04:20 PM
There are fans for both applications ,push or pull. I have seen both inside and outside mounted. Only issue I can see with outside mounting is possible damamge from road debris,such as a bird or such getting caught in it .

Would a aluminum billet grille help kinda solve this problem you think?

Kenner18
06-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Im sure it would ,as long as it doesnt have wide gaps for objects to pass thru.

iron man
06-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Im sure it would ,as long as it doesnt have wide gaps for objects to pass thru.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=55

the bottom one. I'm pretty sure they'd withstand a bird or something bigger hitting it.

Kenner18
06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
That should work .Just make sure you get the rite fans and you should be hooked up.

iron man
06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
That should work .Just make sure you get the rite fans and you should be hooked up.

sounds like a stan. but the only problem I might have is the oil cooler would possibly get in the way. think I could reroute it to the inside and put a fan over it or just wing it and leave it?

southern151
06-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Only problem is, if you put it on the outside, you're pulling through the AC condensor first. Put em on the inside and have em pulling in not out. It's the way they are supposed to be. If not, you'd be pulling block heat which contradicts what you set out to do.

iron man
06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Only problem is, if you put it on the outside, you're pulling through the AC condensor first. Put em on the inside and have em pulling in not out. It's the way they are supposed to be. If not, you'd be pulling block heat which contradicts what you set out to do.

Hm, so I have a flaw in my thinking...

Kenner18
06-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Hm, so I have a flaw in my thinking...
Not really . If you use a fan that pushes air it will work from the outside. A fan that pulls air works from the inside.

CrazyD
06-22-2011, 07:31 PM
No flaw. If you have the fans blowing air into the radiator towards the engine bay it is flowing the same way as the stock fan. There are fans that can be wired to spin either direction there in blowing air into the radiator or sucking air through the radiator as the stock fan does. On another note how many birds do you guys chase down with your vehicle? All my years of trying to hit doves I have only hit two birds.

Kenner18
06-22-2011, 07:36 PM
No flaw. If you have the fans blowing air into the radiator towards the engine bay it is flowing the same way as the stock fan. There are fans that can be wired to spin either direction there in blowing air into the radiator or sucking air through the radiator as the stock fan does. On another note how many birds do you guys chase down with your vehicle? All my years of trying to hit doves I have only hit two birds.

Was just giving an example of objects that may enter the fans and damage them. I once had a piece of rope thrown thru my grill and dent the a/c coil. Anything can happen ,and I think the fans would be better protected on the inside.

Montauk17
06-22-2011, 07:41 PM

X2

southern151
06-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I have yet to see a car with fans on the outside and I've seen em run in the 3's to the 8's. There is a likely possibility, without extreme modification, that you won't be able to run em on the outside. Extreme modification may also entail weakening of your truck's required structure.

Just my .02

la_suthrn_soldier
07-02-2013, 02:17 PM
The reason you would want an inside fan is because if you put it in front it will be blocking the natural air flow when you drive.... if you have a fan that "pulls" from the inside it will compliment the natural air flow while you drive thus cooling more efficiently and effectively..

Montauk17
07-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Guess today is dig up threads that are years old day

mcjaredsandwich
07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Guess today is dig up threads that are years old day

No joke

la_suthrn_soldier
07-02-2013, 03:53 PM
yeah.. i def didnt read the thread dates..... i tend to do that often... my bad

"H"
07-02-2013, 05:03 PM
its ok, we all needed a "refresher" :)

la_suthrn_soldier
07-03-2013, 06:23 AM
good.. i feel like i contributed now! HAHA

Dink
07-03-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm about to do the same. Git all the info off a cummins forum. I have a huge gap between my intercooler and ac condenser/radiator. Leaving my stock fan on the inside and mounting push electric fans on the outside. They'll need to be thin enough to fit behind your grill......that's my biggest obstruction so far

la_suthrn_soldier
07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
i just think they will obstruct so much "cool" air from hitting the front..... same reason i dont like billet grills with extra thin slits... its like putting your return air duct for you home A/C in a 10'x10' bedroom.... itll strain so hard to get air that you cant even close the bedroom door!

la_suthrn_soldier
07-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm about to do the same. Git all the info off a cummins forum. I have a huge gap between my intercooler and ac condenser/radiator. Leaving my stock fan on the inside and mounting push electric fans on the outside. They'll need to be thin enough to fit behind your grill......that's my biggest obstruction so far

You could always modify the grill.... alot of that plastic can be "shaved" if you need an inch or so