06-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Man I have been looking at getting one but just can't see myself using it alot

Wide Open
06-23-2011, 07:10 PM
man I love my turkey fryer!

booyagasha
06-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Do know how to fry a turkey?

not really, have had it before and love it. seems easy, fill with water first to get an idea of displacement with turkey in. then fill same amount with oil ., bring to 350* and cook 3 minute per poound...great...

but how to prep it and baste it? whats ya secrets? might do one this weekend.

Gerald
06-23-2011, 07:28 PM
This should help give you a good idea on how to fry a turkey. Last Thanksgiving, my sister bought a Turkey for me to fry. I told her to get one no bigger than 17 lbs. because that is about as big as I thought I could cook in my "fry pot". I got there and she has a 20 lb bird. It fit in the pot.... but not much extra room. After an hour and 15 min cooking.... it turned out great. But I really had to watch the temperature and make lots of adjusments.

Tips for frying a turkey

1. Get a pot of the right size and shape. If the pot is too large in diameter, it will take a lot of extra oil to cover the bird. If the turkey barely fits into the pot it will not cook evenly.

2. To determine how much oil is needed? Before doing any preparation...place the turkey in cooking pot. Using a clean gallon size container, start adding water and count the amount of water needed until the bird is just covered. This will be the amount of oil needed. If the Turkey is frozen with neck, heart, etc still inside the bird, about 1 pint more oil will be needed. This is also a good way to unthaw a frozen turkey....in water. But be sure the water is cool....Bacteria grows at room temperature. Do not add "a little extra oil"; the oil will expand some when heated. The pot should be at least 5" taller than the oil level to keep it from splashing out. I cover my pot while cooking, but watch the temperature closely. If you don’t have a lid.....some grease will splash out and make a mess. Cook on the ground or put something under the cooking burner.

3 Heat oil to 375 F. (need a cooking thermometer that is about 12" long), and while wearing gloves, very slowly add turkey to the pot. This may take 30 seconds or more to keep the oil from "boiling" too much. The oil will cool down quickly after the turkey is put in the oil while some of the excess water is boiling off. When buying a turkey frying pot, they usually come with a metal T - shaped piece to hold the turkey and it will have a hook shape to the top for lifting the bird. If you do not have this ....something must be improvised for lifting the bird! I also use a wire coat hanger so my hand is even farther from the splashing oil.

4. After the turkey is put in the pot, the oil will cool down some. Adjust fire to cook at 350 F. Cook turkey for 3 ½ minutes per pound. [I.e. 12 lb. turkey = 42 minutes.] This time will vary a little depending on how close to 350 F the bird is cooked. If the oil is about 360 F a lot of the cooking time, it may be ready a couple of minutes sooner. If you are not sure it is done....cook it a little more.

5. As the turkey cooks, the water inside the bird is boiled off. The oil will start to get hotter [after say 5 minutes of cooking] and the fire MUST be turned down to maintain the 350 F cooking temperature. Fire must be adjusted (just a little) often to keep it close to 350 F.

6. Peanut oil is great, but vegetable oil is ok to use. After oil has cooled, it can be strained and saved.

7. When injecting marinade into the bird after injecting the first spot, pull the needle part way out and push it back down at several different angles to inject different areas. It is better to inject small amounts in a lot different places....this gets the marinade evenly spread out better. Doing this, you will have fewer holes in the skin for the marinade to come back out. After injecting the bird, allow bird to marinade for at least 30 minutes [One or two hours is better] before cooking.

8. On the marinade....I make my own with a blender using melted butter, onions, garlic, salt, Tony's, lemon juice and anything else you might like. If you buy a marinade, check carefully to see what is in it and taste it to see if you like. I find some store bought marinade BAD.
9. Be sure the turkey is completely unthawed. If not, the thicker parts may not get cooked properly. Take the bagged stuff (neck, heart, etc.) out of the chest cavity as soon as you can so it can unthaw better. But don’t allow the turkey to sit at room temperature too long.

10. If only half of the turkey is going to be eaten........Don’t slice it all up. Cutting it into slices allows the meat to dry out faster and it will not save very long. Cut the meat off in large chunks and freeze it for later use. Turkey meat is cheep.....buy a larger bird and freeze the extra. But see item one above.

Good eating!

booyagasha
06-23-2011, 07:37 PM
This should help give you a good idea on how to fry a turkey. Last Thanksgiving, my sister bought a Turkey for me to fry. I told her to get one no bigger than 17 lbs. because that is about as big as I thought I could cook in my "fry pot". I got there and she has a 20 lb bird. It fit in the pot.... but not much extra room. After an hour and 15 min cooking.... it turned out great. But I really had to watch the temperature and make lots of adjusments.

Tips for frying a turkey

1. Get a pot of the right size and shape. If the pot is too large in diameter, it will take a lot of extra oil to cover the bird. If the turkey barely fits into the pot it will not cook evenly.

2. To determine how much oil is needed? Before doing any preparation...place the turkey in cooking pot. Using a clean gallon size container, start adding water and count the amount of water needed until the bird is just covered. This will be the amount of oil needed. If the Turkey is frozen with neck, heart, etc still inside the bird, about 1 pint more oil will be needed. This is also a good way to unthaw a frozen turkey....in water. But be sure the water is cool....Bacteria grows at room temperature. Do not add "a little extra oil"; the oil will expand some when heated. The pot should be at least 5" taller than the oil level to keep it from splashing out. I cover my pot while cooking, but watch the temperature closely. If you don’t have a lid.....some grease will splash out and make a mess. Cook on the ground or put something under the cooking burner.

3 Heat oil to 375 F. (need a cooking thermometer that is about 12" long), and while wearing gloves, very slowly add turkey to the pot. This may take 30 seconds or more to keep the oil from "boiling" too much. The oil will cool down quickly after the turkey is put in the oil while some of the excess water is boiling off. When buying a turkey frying pot, they usually come with a metal T - shaped piece to hold the turkey and it will have a hook shape to the top for lifting the bird. If you do not have this ....something must be improvised for lifting the bird! I also use a wire coat hanger so my hand is even farther from the splashing oil.

4. After the turkey is put in the pot, the oil will cool down some. Adjust fire to cook at 350 F. Cook turkey for 3 ½ minutes per pound. [I.e. 12 lb. turkey = 42 minutes.] This time will vary a little depending on how close to 350 F the bird is cooked. If the oil is about 360 F a lot of the cooking time, it may be ready a couple of minutes sooner. If you are not sure it is done....cook it a little more.

5. As the turkey cooks, the water inside the bird is boiled off. The oil will start to get hotter [after say 5 minutes of cooking] and the fire MUST be turned down to maintain the 350 F cooking temperature. Fire must be adjusted (just a little) often to keep it close to 350 F.

6. Peanut oil is great, but vegetable oil is ok to use. After oil has cooled, it can be strained and saved.

7. When injecting marinade into the bird after injecting the first spot, pull the needle part way out and push it back down at several different angles to inject different areas. It is better to inject small amounts in a lot different places....this gets the marinade evenly spread out better. Doing this, you will have fewer holes in the skin for the marinade to come back out. After injecting the bird, allow bird to marinade for at least 30 minutes [One or two hours is better] before cooking.

8. On the marinade....I make my own with a blender using melted butter, onions, garlic, salt, Tony's, lemon juice and anything else you might like. If you buy a marinade, check carefully to see what is in it and taste it to see if you like. I find some store bought marinade BAD.
9. Be sure the turkey is completely unthawed. If not, the thicker parts may not get cooked properly. Take the bagged stuff (neck, heart, etc.) out of the chest cavity as soon as you can so it can unthaw better. But don’t allow the turkey to sit at room temperature too long.

10. If only half of the turkey is going to be eaten........Don’t slice it all up. Cutting it into slices allows the meat to dry out faster and it will not save very long. Cut the meat off in large chunks and freeze it for later use. Turkey meat is cheep.....buy a larger bird and freeze the extra. But see item one above.

Good eating!

:work:you hit the nail right on the head:work:

thanks man ...im going to use this exact reciper/formula when i try, im all about trying new things/recipes when it deals with good eats.:bounce:

ill post pics when i do it...thanks again man

Wide Open
06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
not really, have had it before and love it. seems easy, fill with water first to get an idea of displacement with turkey in. then fill same amount with oil ., bring to 350* and cook 3 minute per poound...great...

but how to prep it and baste it? whats ya secrets? might do one this weekend.
If you fill with water firts be sure to wipe all excess out befor pouring grease in. realy still not a good idea, because your bird is gonna get drenched, and when you put in grease at 350 bad things can go wrong:shaking:
Just put the bird in, and then pour the grease in till enough, thien pull bird out and put in foil pan till ready:smokin:

booyagasha
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
If you fill with water firts be sure to wipe all excess out befor pouring grease in. realy still not a good idea, because your bird is gonna get drenched, and when you put in grease at 350 bad things can go wrong:shaking:
Just put the bird in, and then pour the grease in till enough, thien pull bird out and put in foil pan till ready:smokin:

sounds legit...im thinking of throwing some crawfish boil/ some variety of spices similar in the butter and other spices marinade. and see how much zing that'll give it. extra cayenne too...

CrazyD
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Just a side note frozen turkeys and hot oil will release alot of moisture resulting in alot of boil and can boil over causing a fire so don't rush be sure it is well thawed. Coworker burned down his shop frying a half thawed turkey bc he was hurrying.

booyagasha
06-23-2011, 07:53 PM
ya, that's why i figured i never try without the right equipment, and this is probably the most equip (in a box_) you can get...

Gerald
06-23-2011, 08:11 PM
I should have add this comment to item 3 above.

To pick up the Turkey.....get a broom handle [or something similar] and with two people, stick the broom handle through the coat hanger wire "loup" so that you can support the turkey better and very slowly put the turkey into the hot grease.

When the turkey goes into the hot oil...... it will violently boil off the water. So put the turkey in the oil very slolwy.

Wide Open
06-23-2011, 09:14 PM
I should have add this comment to item 3 above.

To pick up the Turkey.....get a broom handle [or something similar] and with two people, stick the broom handle through the coat hanger wire "loup" so that you can support the turkey better and very slowly put the turkey into the hot grease.

When the turkey goes into the hot oil...... it will violently boil off the water. So put the turkey in the oil very slolwy.
X1000;)

evidrine
06-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Good pointers. I've been having a similar setup for a while now and have never used it. Really need to give it a try. Been promising my wife for a while now. Man, oil is expensive though!

Wide Open
06-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Good pointers. I've been having a similar setup for a while now and have never used it. Really need to give it a try. Been promising my wife for a while now. Man, oil is expensive though!
Yea, its good to try and reuse your oil again if u can.

evidrine
06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Agreed! Too expensive to waste!

Salty
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Jakes are the best to fry. Tastes much better than a domestic bird. :cool:

BassAssasin
06-24-2011, 11:26 AM
cajun injector and inject to heck out of it

booyagasha
06-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Should be an easy fun meal

longsidelandry
06-24-2011, 02:44 PM
My uncle has one of the Char Broil Oil-Less fryers and that things makes the best fried turkey I've ever eaten!

http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/char-broil-the-big-easy-oil-less-fryer-with-injector_pf-387883_xp.aspx

eman
06-25-2011, 07:27 AM
My uncle has one of the Char Broil Oil-Less fryers and that things makes the best fried turkey I've ever eaten!

http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/char-broil-the-big-easy-oil-less-fryer-with-injector_pf-387883_xp.aspx
X2 I use mine often and love it.

fun w son
09-07-2011, 10:23 AM
love my oil-less fryer for whole chickens
i just soak it with pam, then hit it with slap yo mamma and cook it for 1:45. best one ever!!!!