PDA

View Full Version : Sea sickness

Savagespec619
07-24-2011, 08:11 PM
What is the BEst way to prevent sea sickness in the gulf of mexico??:redface:

PaulMyers
07-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Don't go??? ;) I've never had it so I can't help you there.

Savagespec619
07-24-2011, 08:32 PM
hahah yea cuzz once you get out there theres nothing worse than sea sickness.. some people say just get **** faced.! that might workk.. i better start drinking in the lake before we get out there and when we wake up

Kenner18
07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
If you can find it try Bonine .

H2OFwlKlr
07-24-2011, 08:48 PM
hahah yea cuzz once you get out there theres nothing worse than sea sickness.. some people say just get **** faced.! that might workk.. i better start drinking in the lake before we get out there and when we wake up

Absolute worst thing to do! Take your worst drunk, puking, night out and multiply it by a thousand, and that is how you will feel if you get sea sick!
You will be begging someone to put you out of your misery!

I know, I get sick sometimes. I absolutely do not drink when I go offshore. The last few trips I have taken two Dramamine one hour before we leave, and take one every 3 hours after that, and always eat a little something when you take the Dramamine. It worked for me and the last time was an overnight tuna trip and it was very rough!

Good Luck to ya!

Not responsible for the results if you still get sick! :spineyes:

Savagespec619
07-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks h2o i wont do that then hahah

southern151
07-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Never been seasick but, when we went out I took a couple of Dramamine before we left and never felt bad once.

Didn't know how I'd react so, I went the proactive route because I HATE getting sick!

Ray
07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Only time I was ever sea sick was morning after I got drunk. All 3 of us were puking.

Best thing to do is take Bonine night before you go fishing, then again in the morning.
If you forget in the morning, what you took night before is still in your system and you
can take another when you think about it.
If you get seasick, then think about the pills, it's too late.
My wife gets seasick easy. She figgered this out a long time ago.

BossHog
07-24-2011, 10:13 PM

I know alot of people that will get seasick if they don't drink while out there. I know it sounds crazy but they always get sick if they don't drink and never while drinking. I'm just lucky I never get it.

LPfishnTIM
07-24-2011, 10:48 PM
keep your balance or as some say "get your sea feet" and don't go fishing on a empty stomach, and if you stop and sit down when you tie on a bait or hook, do it as fast as possible the sitting down and staring at a line hook and trying to tie it gets me sea sick, I had to learn to do this fast while standing and keeping balance, and if your hungry it makes it even worse! never took the pills.

skeeter77346
07-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Otion 1: Relief Band
http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=10733
I have seen that work on a newbie offshore - my brother put it on his teenage some and within 30 minutes it made a huge difference.

Option 2: "Rub your back on a big oak tree" ;-)

Also, avoid boozing the night before, greasy food, etc. Dry snack bars, crackers, etc. are OK though before you go and stay hydrated as others have said - lots of water or 'gatorade'.

Ray
07-25-2011, 12:08 PM
When I fished offshore, I seen a lot of them seasick bands go overboard.

skeeter77346
07-25-2011, 07:59 PM
When I fished offshore, I seen a lot of them seasick bands go overboard.

Yeah Ray, I agree there are lots of gimmicks out there. I just know my brother's teenage boy was in a bad way, and that thing worked for him - took 20 to 30 around minutes, but I was amazed. They had tried the pressure bands, and the behind the ear patches on previous trips too.
Anyhow, just passing it on.

Savagespec619
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
thanks

weedeater
07-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Ate Tony's Pizza one Sunday nite after church then got called off-shore about 2hrs later, we left the old Crain Brothers dock in 12-14' :spineyes:seas and I threw-up:puke::puke::puke: way more pizza over the next :spineyes:8-10hr ride then I had eat but after that trip I never got sick agin.

High Tide
07-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Dramamine has been around for a long time, but doesn't work on everyone. My uncle is a pharmacist and he recommends scopolamine patches. They are supposed to work great. But if its a hot day, you may sweat them off. They also offer scopolamine in a nasal spray. One good spray when you start feeling funky, and its supposed to wipe it out. I'm going offshore next weekend, and am bringing two bottles. You're gona need a script from a doctor for the scopolamine.

Garfish
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Dramamine works for me. Take a couple the day before, eat a meal that isn't too rich or greasy that has plenty carbs. Don't get F'''ed up the night before either. Take 2 the morning you go out and eat a biscuit or something similar before also. Drink plenty water esp. if it's warm and if you feelin good, drink only a few beers and snack while you're out there.

Capt.B
07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Dramamine works for me. Take a couple the day before, eat a meal that isn't too rich or greasy that has plenty carbs. Don't get F'''ed up the night before either. Take 2 the morning you go out and eat a biscuit or something similar before also. Drink plenty water esp. if it's warm and if you feelin good, drink only a few beers and snack while you're out there.
X2 and lay off booze....does nothin but dehydrate you....so you got a dehydrated, sick, drunk....that sounds like fun??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Miss Trial
08-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Dramamine causes people to get very drowsy. Bonine will do the same thing as Dramamine but causes less drowsiness. You asked the the best thing.... the best thing is a scopolamine patch or maybe even scopolamine nasal spray.

KDM
08-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Meclazine is the best. It was used by NASA for the astronauts. Take one the night before and one the morning of. I believe it is now over the counter. See George Paret at Gordons. My son uses it and he swears by it.

Geauxt903
08-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Advice from an Anesthesiologist that has worked for me:
-start taking meclizine (Bonine) 2-3 days before the trip 2-3x daily
-get some Scopolamine patches from your Dr.
-apply the patch the night before so it has time to start working
-also keep yourself hydrated and a cool neck wrap or towel around the neck helps a lot

Also another anesthesiologist recommended a med called "Zofran" (ondansetron) if you can get your hands on taken at a 4mg dosage.

Tiger260
08-27-2011, 05:17 PM
I had an outfitter in Mexico recommend Ginger Root tablets a few years ago to me. They are at every pharmacy in the vitamin section for about $4/100. I don't get sick personally (maybe a lump in the throat in bad stuff), but some of my friends do. Everyone I've ever recommended it to had great results. This week in Cabo, we had some nasty seas Tues, so Thursday I tried it out. Took two the night before, and two the morning we left (as did my wife/friends). Everyone felt great, and the seas were way worse that day.

One of the biggest mistakes is going into the salon, or worse, bathroom on a yacht. This will do it everytime. If you feel it coming on, get as high up as you can, and watch the horizon.

Hopedale Hustler
08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
honestly you can drink and itll make it worse...but if you drink enough i mean get hammered like get bent...then you wont get sea sick cause youll be so f'd up......i got a good friend everytime he comes out with us he starts getting sick and he mans his way through it and just sucks down beer like water and he usually just forgets about the sea sickness and pays for it later that night...

Capt.B
08-28-2011, 10:29 PM
honestly you can drink and itll make it worse...but if you drink enough i mean get hammered like get bent...then you wont get sea sick cause youll be so f'd up......i got a good friend everytime he comes out with us he starts getting sick and he mans his way through it and just sucks down beer like water and he usually just forgets about the sea sickness and pays for it later that night...Absolutely the worse thang in the world to do....esp if it's hot!!:rolleyes::shaking:

Bluechip
08-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Absolutely the worse thang in the world to do....esp if it's hot!!:rolleyes::shaking:

X 2....

Capt.B
08-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Took a padna of mine offshore today. This guy will get dizzy watchin trains pass. He has the equilibrium of a bit ch!! Had him take Bonine the day before, and one when he woke up the day of the trip. He had no issues what so ever!!

backlash
08-29-2011, 09:07 AM
An anti-nausea medicine works for me if I feel it coming on. It's trade name is Zofran, but it's available in generic. It works wonders and has no narcotic effect. It's expensive, about $25 a pop but better than being sick.

Everyone else on a recent trip with bad seas got sick. I stayed up all night and didn't get sick but felt a case coming on at sunup as the bait started to warm up and smell. Popped one of those pills and was good for the rest of the day. Gave a friend one too and he perked up.

I try to eat a little bit all the time and drink non-alcoholic drinks steadily. Also, if I feel a little queasy, scan the horizon to get my bearings. The worst sick I ever got was riding in a fighter jet with no pressure suit. Puked all over me, the pilot, the cockpit. I was ready to bail out.

Hopedale Hustler
08-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Just drink 24 bud lights and a half gallon of JD and see if u get sea sick...

cajunhntr03
08-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Scopolamine works great You can get it in a liquid and drop in on your wrists I dont get seasick but works for most people I have fished with