PDA

View Full Version : electrical issue???

Dink
07-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Last week I noticed a problem. When I turn my light switch off my TV makes a loud pop noise. Didn't do it before. Only happens when the TV is on and in standby mode(cable is turned off but TV is on) I think. What really got me is when lightning struck tonight and it Did it too. Bad ground somewhere??

PaulMyers
07-31-2011, 10:47 PM
That would be my guess. You need to check the grounds on all switches and recepticals on that circuit.

EVO

Tex Dawg
07-31-2011, 10:49 PM
do you have a surge protector for your tv? try a different outlets in the same room to see if you get the same results.

Dink
07-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Its just the one light switch.....ill pull it apart tomorrow. Not sure what I'm looking at, but that's why they make breakers, right!??? With a bad ground, the breaker should still trip. Correct?

PaulMyers
07-31-2011, 11:19 PM
There is more than just that 1 switch on that circuit. I really dought that that 1 switch is run back to your breaker panel all by itself. Is that in the new part of your house?

EVO

Dink
07-31-2011, 11:24 PM
No. Master bedroom off the kitchen. Its a gfi circuit. Not sure why Its affecting the TV. They shouldn't even be on the same line

PaulMyers
07-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Any fluorescent lights in there?

EVO

Dink
07-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Nope. Maybe I should call country boy over and buy him a 6pack

Dink
07-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Or E-Man and a fifth for us to split

PaulMyers
07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
They shouldn't even be on the same line
True but they might be. On older homes the circuits sometimes had recepticals and lights on the same circuits.

EVO

weedeater
08-01-2011, 08:17 AM
True but they might be. On older homes the circuits sometimes had recepticals and lights on the same circuits. EVO I know on my house we wired each room, light /fan switches and receptacles back to one breaker.

adamsfence
08-01-2011, 08:59 AM
also terminal blocks or coaxial laid on top of romex other can cause you to have interferance. try unhooking your coaxial and see if it still does it

eman
08-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Tim ,Go buy you a plug in circut tester for gfci and one for regular recepticals.
Less than $15 for both. you plug it in and it has lights that tell you if you have good ground , neutral and hot. also checks your GFCI ti make sure it's working properly.
If you don't fint a problem their then start pulling apart switch.

PaulMyers
08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Tim ,Go buy you a plug in circut tester for gfci and one for regular recepticals.
Less than $15 for both. you plug it in and it has lights that tell you if you have good ground , neutral and hot. also checks your GFCI ti make sure it's working properly.
If you don't fint a problem their then start pulling apart switch.

Very good idea. :)

fun w son
08-01-2011, 04:46 PM
why is the rec. in the master bed tide into a GFCI of the kitchen???
GFCI should be on their own circuit. i've seen them tide into lights with in the same room, but never into other rooms??

eman
08-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I think tim's house is like mine. Looks like someone got in the attic and threw a roll of romex and whatever it landed close to got put on that circut.
Hint for anyone building . Wire each bedroom on a switch to the master bath.
that way when someone gets up at night they can turn the bathroom light on and off from their room and not have to stumble thru a dark house. really good for small kids.

Gerald
08-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I think tim's house is like mine. Looks like someone got in the attic and threw a roll of romex and whatever it landed close to got put on that circut.
Hint for anyone building . Wire each bedroom on a switch to the master bath.
that way when someone gets up at night they can turn the bathroom light on and off from their room and not have to stumble thru a dark house. really good for small kids.

I thought that is what the little "night" lights are for.

Dink
08-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Haven't had time to mess with it. Thanks for the response everyone. Goin on a trip tomorrow, but will try all of the suggestions when I get home.......got the TV running thru the stereo so the pop damn near wakes the whole house! Blew 1 speaker so far

wireball
08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
you need some shielded speaker wire.Nothing wrong with the groung it is electrical interference coming from when you turn the switch on mydid the same thing.you can move you speaker wires away from the cord of your system or get some shielded speaker wire.Sounds like your system is on the same circuit as the switch and when you turn the switch it put a spike across the ccircuit.you can move it to a different circuit to see if it happens when you turn the switch on and off.