PDA

View Full Version : afternoon on the tickfaw/ blood river.

LPfishnTIM
08-06-2011, 11:48 PM
well, I had to work today so I couldn't fish this a.m., but I was able to fish this afternoon for a couple hours before dark, I could only fish somewhere close, so I headed to blood river/ tickfaw river and fished from 5pm til 9pm caught a few goggle eye, a perch, and a few small bass, I threw the bass back and kept the bream, btw livingston parish rivers are not the place to fish on weekends! everyone likes to party and drive speedboats, but I found a few spots where they don't go but it is still hard to enjoy the fishing even at 8 at night!

jlsch1
08-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Love the rivers, but also agree 100% that tuff place to fish on weekend.
I usually fish them in the fall and spring early in the morning and get off the water by 7am. Usually small I love the old H&H minispins (smaller H&H spinnerbaits) and H&H worms 6" cut tails or I pour my own 4" worms. Have done well on the 1 1/2 " minnows I pour with soft plastic so that tail will wiggle. I pulled everything from 3" bream still trying to figure that one out to 4lb bass on these types of lures.

LPfishnTIM
08-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Love the rivers, but also agree 100% that tuff place to fish on weekend.
I usually fish them in the fall and spring early in the morning and get off the water by 7am. Usually small I love the old H&H minispins (smaller H&H spinnerbaits) and H&H worms 6" cut tails or I pour my own 4" worms. Have done well on the 1 1/2 " minnows I pour with soft plastic so that tail will wiggle. I pulled everything from 3" bream still trying to figure that one out to 4lb bass on these types of lures.
I use a 4in zoom fat albert grub, or a zoom utravibe speed craw both texas rigged or as a jig trailer.

gonzalesdave
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Ive been fishing the other side of the lake (Ruddock and the mouth of the lake at Blind River) every week and it hast produced squat. Place has been pissing me off lol

LPfishnTIM
08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I haven't fished ruddock since march, I think the spillway opening push the fish around, I fish manchac pass sometimes in the spring or fall, but I have found that fishing Pearl river has been more productive for me.

jlsch1
08-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Use to fish ruddock when I went to Slow Learners University.
Yeah, put my quarter in the bubble gum machine and got my degree went on to Texas A&M not much better.:rotfl:
Ruddock usually good in the spring and I had some good sucess there.
When Amite/Tickfaw would flood they would have a mud/mirky/clear water line at mouth of ruddock and Maurepas. That was bass on. You have rocks by bridge, stumps, and canal flowing into Maurpas and you could see the baitfish hanging on that line.

I have also used the kelly plow jocket worms back there done well. Miss the guy at WestMarine who knew his stuff he left. He brought in the kelly plow jocket worms.

It is a tidal place and I have done well at times and others I couldn't give away a lure to the bass.

Years ago it was known to fish off the side of road after good rain with broken back rebel when water flowed out the culverts on old Hwy 55 and people would catch ice chest full of 4lb bass. That was in early 1990's.
One morning in a canal off Ruddock I still remember to this day a beautiful cool morning in March. Nice light coat of fog on the water. Saw huge owl on a branch above the runout where bass was popping. 1st cast bam nice 2lb bass, 2nd cast bam nice bass similar size, and third cast a that owl came after me and tore up my left arm trying to get to that lunker lure. My friend said I was screaming like a pig in heat and he was laughing his butt off.
It is funny now, but then it wasn't.:rotfl:

Hopedale Hustler
08-08-2011, 08:13 AM
LP.....natalbany river is where you should have been I haven't fished it since June but I know they are still catching bream and perch by the box....plus no traffic on weekends.

sears
08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Little natalbany river, no party boaters and plenty of perch right now. Launch right before the gas station on 22 going into Springfield

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Hopedale Hustler
08-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Little natalbany river, no party boaters and plenty of perch right now. Launch right before the gas station on 22 going into Springfield

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

10-4 buddy...btw LP if you do go to the natalbany let me know my house is .5 mile from the river....I usually spearfish in it come August..them big gars get caught up north river in them deep holes and its on like donkey Kong.

LPfishnTIM
08-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I passed by that launch, on the natalbany, It was muddy as can be! so I didn't go down there, but I should have, hey HH I'll Pm you next time I go!

Hopedale Hustler
08-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Yupp gimmie a shot...