PDA

View Full Version : Possible good news about Red Snapper

Hunt Fish Nap
08-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I received an email bulletin from the Southeast Fishery committee today stating that the 2011 recreational Red Snapper quota was not met so there may be an extended recreational snapper season later this year. Kind of like a second split during hunting season. Sounds almost too good to be true but stranger things have happened.

JDd
08-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I received an email bulletin from the Southeast Fishery committee today stating that the 2011 recreational Red Snapper quota was not met so there may be an extended recreational snapper season later this year. Kind of like a second split during hunting season. Sounds almost too good to be true but stranger things have happened.

Sweet.

I caught 170 this past season. We eat snapper 2 nights a week. I did very well after the spill with the October season.

Dink
08-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Bet it'll be justblike last year!!! Awesome!!!

Opinions_Vary
08-12-2011, 07:53 AM
We must have caught 50 in Grand Isle this weekend trying to catch AJ's, Mangroves, and grouper... Pesky bait stealers... and the venting is a joke when you bring them up from 200+ feet of water! Damn shame to see a 15 lb snapper floating upside down after you have to throw him overboard!

pmckee318
08-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Any news on the dates ?

fishinpox
08-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I heard thus a few weeks ago .... Everyweekend in October? Isn't that correct?

Dink
08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
That was last year pox. Not sure what its gonna be yet

fishinpox
08-15-2011, 04:49 PM
no someone came in the tackle shop the other day while i was in there and said this idk

pmckee318
08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
That was last year pox. Not sure what its gonna be yet
never done this before, how far out, and out of where do you go> Got a 24 ft Haynie HO with 200 merc, would love to go out with someone, our get a guide. I just don't know the water and don't know if I have enough boat.

Opinions_Vary
08-16-2011, 09:21 AM
never done this before, how far out, and out of where do you go> Got a 24 ft Haynie HO with 200 merc, would love to go out with someone, our get a guide. I just don't know the water and don't know if I have enough boat.

You have plenty of boat if the water is calm... My advice is go to Grand Isle... You only have to go 7 miles for Mangroves 17 miles for red snapper... box of Pogies, 8oz weights circle hooks, carolina rigged for red snapper... Don't for get to buy a fish vent before you go...

fishinpox
08-16-2011, 11:59 AM

Go to Venice u can follow me

Dink
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Gone a have to crank up your freeboard!!

JDd
08-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Gone a have to crank up your freeboard!! :D

I heard it was going to be for only two weekends.

pmckee318
08-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Gone a have to crank up your freeboard!! Dink, FREEBOARD ? ya got me on that one.

meaux fishing
08-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Dink, FREEBOARD ? ya got me on that one.
long story...you will be fine if you can pick a calm day...which are few and far between in October

JDd
08-18-2011, 10:54 PM
NOAA Fisheries Service published an emergency rule*in the Federal Register on August *12, 2011, effective*September 12, 2011. The emergency rule increases the*recreational red snapper quota by 345,000 pounds for the*2011 fishing year and *provides the agency with theauthority to re-open the recreational red snapper season later this year, if appropriate.If NOAA Fisheries Service determines that the*recreational sector did not harvest the full amount of its*2011 *red snapper quota by *the *initial July 19, 2011,*closure date, *then *the *agency would provide for a*supplemental recreational red snapper season.

But a few days later

Despite the shortest red snapper season ever, federal scientists believe that recreational anglers may have exceeded their annual quota by nearly 1 million pounds
http://blog.al.com/live/2011/08/next_years_red_snapper_season.html

Also

The overage may mean that next year’s snapper season will be even shorter than this year’s 48-day season.

Dink
08-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Wonderful

southern151
08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
So much for the "possible good news", huh?! Dangit! I was really looking forward to leaching another ride with Dink!

YellowMouth7
08-19-2011, 11:50 AM
just let us fish

JDd
09-07-2011, 08:11 PM
GULF COUNCIL RED SNAPPER ADVISORY PANEL MEMBER RESIGNS; "CHARADE"

News Release Labor Day, 2011 For Immediate Release Contact: Captain Dale Perkins 850-982-1930

GULF COUNCIL RED SNAPPER ADVISORY PANEL MEMBER RESIGNS; CALLS THE PROCESS “A CHARADE"

Pensacola, FL Citing emails from Steven Atran, Population Dynamics Statistician; Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council; Red Snapper Advisory Panel member Captain Dale Perkins resigned on Labor Day. “The whole process is a charade as evidenced by the fact that they schedule meetings to take out input and then go ahead and make decisions without even holding the meetings. I am not going to lend false legitimacy to this charade by allowing my name to be used on a so called committee that has no input. No matter what the data shows, it is always interpreted as a need to reduce Total Allowable Catch. If we are catching to few fish, they say to reduce the quota. If we catch too many, reduce the quota. The fish are too big, reduce the quota. The fish are too small, reduce the quota.” Perkins has unsuccessfully called for a congressional investigation of the fisheries management process in the past. Perkins resignation coincides with a Fox News Business Labor Day special report on Federal Regulatory Strangulation of fishing families.

southern151
09-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Good to see how much "research" actually goes into this ! Confirms my thoughts since there is no tagging/weigh-in on the species.