PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Silver Salmon Trip

catch.and.fillet
08-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Was able to squeeze in a half day silver salmon trip out of Seward, AK last weekend on a charter boat with my son and 4 others. My son (AggieTiger) got his limit of 2 and I got 1. Boat also caught halibut, 3 other silvers (coho), and a rockfish in 400' of water on green and white 2" skirted jigs tipped with cut herring. Scenery was best I've ever seen. Also saw bald eagles, 3 whales (tail and back), puffer birds (they dive down to 250'), and otters. High temp was 68. We finished up around 8PM. Highly recommend to everyone to put on their bucket list.

catch.and.fillet
08-20-2011, 11:57 AM
The river salmon were running...

DUCKGOGETTER
08-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Awesome trip and that's some beutiful scenery

jchief
08-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Did yall fly up, on a cruise or what.

Beautiful pics. It is on my bucket list.

trying to talk the wife into a cruise. She gets seasick easily though

catch.and.fillet
08-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks. My old 3GS iPhone still takes pretty good pics I guess...

We flew into Anchorage, connecting through Detroit on Delta. I had meetings for a few days and we booked an afternoon trip out of Seward which was about 90 minutes away by car. An absolute stunningly beautiful drive around the Cook inlet and through the National Park.

I'd suggest flying in to Anchorage and stay in Seward overnight for you and your wife. Great little town, good restaurants, good people, not too crowded. All American. There's better fishing elsewhere I'm sure but we had two folks from Anchorage on our boat so the locals know something. The 59th Silver Salmon Derby started the next day but the place still wasn't too crowded. They cleaned and packaged the fish and will ship it for you, too.

weedeater
08-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I went about 20yrs ago with my grandparents in a motor home and travled Alaska for 3 months and have to say that's the prettiest place I have ever been and we fished almost every day in the rivers, someday I hope to do it agin.

ckinchen
08-20-2011, 11:14 PM
We leave for Alaska on Monday, 2 days of Salmon and 2 days of Halibut. It is for our 10th anniversary so I went all out. First class direct flight and we are staying at a resort Soldotna.

CajunSaint
08-20-2011, 11:20 PM
We leave for Alaska on Monday, 2 days of Salmon and 2 days of Halibut. It is for our 10th anniversary so I went all out. First class direct flight and we are staying at a resort Soldotna.

Dude is that a sacrifice you will go to Heaven!!!!

Happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!
P/S I could use some fresh fish.
I'll pm u my addy...
Have a great trip!!!

Salty
08-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Joe's Cove

Attached Imageshttp://www.saltycajun.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23649&stc=1&d=1313859404

ckinchen
08-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Dude is that a sacrifice you will go to Heaven!!!!

Happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!
P/S I could use some fresh fish.
I'll pm u my addy...
Have a great trip!!!

Thank you sir, hopefully we have a good time.

Big Kahunaz
08-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Awesome pics! We did a cruise through the fjords a few summers back and of all the places I've been Alaska tops them all. Felt like I was on another planet. We got to see first hand during the salmon run: the orcas chasing the sea lions, the sea lions chasing the salmon, a grizzly feeding on the salmon as they headed upstream to spawn and die. Awesome sight to see the orcas busting the water as we were heading up to a lake where the salmon spawn. All this took place within a 5 mile stretch. Also saw a few hooded maganzars. The salmon caught were being released in the glacier lake we yaked in b/c u could literally poke your finger right through them. Sorry for the long memory just a tad jealous!

bjhooper82
08-30-2011, 12:59 PM
nice looks like a great time