PDA

View Full Version : Concealed permit...

Nasty
08-28-2011, 05:03 PM
What steps must you go through in order to get a LA concealed permit license? I am considering it.

tcglsu
08-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I think you gotta go take class at the state police not sure though

all star rod
08-28-2011, 06:14 PM
My father in law took the class and got his a few months ago. It is pretty much an all day course. I know this, you need to have a pretty clean record. Google it, I am sure it will give you the details. Also, it cost around 100 or so bucks for the class.

Dink
08-28-2011, 06:19 PM
There are private teachers. Look in the quik quarter

Tightline11
08-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Go to the LSU.org website and it will tell you everything you need to know if you go through a private person you still have to go through the state police to finalize the deal so same time and money and go through them for the while thing.

Tightline11
08-28-2011, 07:21 PM
That is LSP.org

"H"
08-28-2011, 07:57 PM
8hr course, notary, finger prints by State Police, and as stated above you need a clean history. If you live near Baton Rouge I can recommend one of the best teachers around. They don't make it easy to obtain for a reason but well worth the effort. I've had a permit for 12 years. Wouldn't think of going with out it, especially since Baton Rouge is ranked as one of the top 5 most violent cities in the nation.

Our Mayor says Baton Rouge is a safe city but our Mayor has body guards with him every where he goes.

Nasty
08-28-2011, 08:13 PM
I would need to look at the Lafayette area. Is there a shooting test... to show competancy with handgun? If so, how big/what yardage do you need to hit?

"H"
08-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Been thru several "refresher" classes (have to renew every 4 yrs)
most instructors are only interested in the students ability to handle the weapon SAFELY i.e. load, shoot, reload. usually set up at about 25ft range.
Last class I took, I brought my 357 Ruger snub nose ( I can't hit the side of a large red barn with that gun) good thing he wasnt checking for accuracy :)

Nasty
08-28-2011, 08:27 PM
The 8 hour course just covers the law? Is there a written test to pass after the 8 hour class? Shooting test is separate?

"H"
08-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Most classes usually start around 8 in the morning and we were usually finished by 3 in the afternoon. I don't think there is a written test (unless they've changed since my last one). The course covers alot of material but mostly law & safety.
The shooting part is usually set up at the end of the day. Last time I had to take the refresher the instructor had each of us shoot 50 rounds at a target.
Might check NRA website for a list of certified instructors in your area.

Nasty
08-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info H! Do you have to shoot with the gun you will be carrying? Could someone shoot a .22 single action pistol?

"H"
08-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Its been my experience that they don't much care what you shoot as long as you handle it well and SAFELY. I usually bring what ever is easiest for me to load 50 rounds, thats why i shot my revolver last time its just easy to load.

LPfishnTIM
08-28-2011, 08:52 PM
I would need to look at the Lafayette area. Is there a shooting test... to show competancy with handgun? If so, how big/what yardage do you need to hit?
I think the furthest away there shooting requires is 12ft and you have to hit the silhouette, which is pretty easy! I personally think that it should be harder than this!

bjhooper82
08-28-2011, 09:05 PM
I think the furthest away there shooting requires is 12ft and you have to hit the silhouette, which is pretty easy! I personally think that it should be harder than this!
thats because if an attack happens, more than likely you will be shooting at point blank range, not 20 yards away..

outcast
08-28-2011, 09:05 PM
H, im considering getting My ccp. Can you pm me the info on the instructor? Thanks

speck-chaser
08-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Yes you can "qualify" with a .22 if you like. Most of the shooting is at very close ranges. And like H said, its mostly to determine that you are safe and know how to handle your gun. Alot of the class,is about the law,and when you can and cant shoot the scumbags that are about to molest you and your family. Seems like every year there are more and more laws to protect the criminals rights.

"H"
08-28-2011, 10:48 PM
H, im considering getting My ccp. Can you pm me the info on the instructor? Thanks

Gordon Hutchison ~ he co authored the book "The Great New Orleans Gun Grab" and owns the Baker Shooting Range. I don't have his number but I'm sure you could call the gun range. He also usually has a classified ad in the BR paper in the sportsman section. He runs an excellent class, your at the firing range, they help you fill out all the forms, has a notory there to sign, when you leave his place your ready to go to the State Police HQ. Now NO EXCUSE go do it!

outcast
08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks H. I was actually just looking at his website. Now if i can just get some time off!

Matt G
08-29-2011, 08:00 AM
I took my class at Barney's in Lafayette. I wasn't too thrilled with their class..... Too much class time and not enough range time. I just read an article about a company called Vata group out of Covington. I'm thinking of going there next time.

BIRD DOG
08-31-2011, 01:24 AM
I like to open carry and was told if I got my CC I could no longer do that,it would have to be concealed.Anybody know if this is true?

"H"
08-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Just because you obtain a ccp I do not think that would take away you right as a Louisiana citizen (I'm assuming you are a La resident) to open carry.

BigChaf
08-31-2011, 07:39 AM
The best reason to get a CC is if you travel out of state, you can have your firearm and not get in trouble, lsp.org has a map that shows which states honor the Louisiana CC.

outcast
08-31-2011, 11:18 AM
I like to open carry and was told if I got my CC I could no longer do that,it would have to be concealed.Anybody know if this is true?

This is a myth. You can still open carry even tho you have your chp.
Laopencarry.org

"H"
08-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey Outcast, the Gonzales PoPo learned their lesson a while backabout the La Open Carry Law the hard way

"H"
08-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey Outcast, the Gonzales PoPo learned their lesson a while back about the La Open Carry Law the hard way :)