PDA

View Full Version : mercruiser throttle prblem

cerveza fria
05-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I cant figure out how to take this thing apart. I have popped the center cap off and tried to losten the internal nut and all it does is spin. I am remodleing the interior of my boat and I am at a dead stop until i figure it out. Everyone on iboats keeps telling me to push in the cold start button , reverse the trottle, pop the cap off, andf then remove the internal nut. Does anyone have any ideas?

elebouef
05-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Isn't there a set screw in that handle on the under side?

flounder_smacker
05-11-2009, 10:52 PM
that middle button pop it off with a screw driver. should have a screw head or bolt head right there.

Gerald
05-12-2009, 12:16 AM
I took mine apart a few year ago. It had me stumped.

elebouef......I think you are correct about the set screw on the bottom side.

I remember taking the center handle nut off.....but don't remember if it just came out. I can access the back side where the throttle is mounted.

I was having trouble with the motor trim switch and/or relays. I tried bending the metal part that makes the contact for the switch. This seemed to help but the down relay still hanges up sometimes.

Let us know tomorrow if you need more help......I can look at mine to see if I can help you.

Dink
05-12-2009, 12:13 PM
How to fix a Mercruiser........................Take the Bimini top off boat, then put NEW boat w/outboard under it!!!! I'm kidding of course..........Good luck, I pulled my Johnson control box apart ONCE......Never again!!!

cerveza fria
05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I wish I could afford a new boat with an Outboard!! Anyway, I talked to a guy today at a marina in denham(Between eden church road and petes hwy) He told me to bring it by in the morning and he would pull it apart for $25. Thats a small price to pay to relieve a headache in my opinion! Thanks for the tips guys.

Gerald
05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
How much will it cost if your watch how he takes it apart??????

cerveza fria
05-12-2009, 07:22 PM
the same. I told him before that I couldnt leave the boat, and I wanted to watch so that I would be able to put it back together. he didnt have a problem with it.