how bout do something about the commercials
:amen:

longcast
08-20-2009, 10:28 PM
:amen::amen::amen::amen::amen:

Hopedale Hustler
08-21-2009, 12:35 AM
how bout do something about the commercials

agreed to an extent..we do need to lower the comecial business' quotas..but we need to raise the recreational fishermans limit/quota...

i give it 5 years before guides and rec fisherman start seriously bringing up matters with the LDWF about raising limits...

1. because clients complaining more and more...and
2.because more and more guides are starting to realize how much of a nuisance these fish can be when tdone your limit..

i have to say although they are a nuisance at times..they are still the best kind of nuisance and tasting too.

Ray
08-21-2009, 07:47 AM
I cannot vote on this one, cause I do not have all the facts, and there is not enough to choose from.
I fished offshore out of Cameron for Snapper for 15 years before I had a back injury.
I never had any problems getting a 4 or 5 limit person, no matter how many people we had on board. Until they threw the seasons on us.
When they threw a season on us, that is when I had problems catching fish. They would let commercial boats fish when the Snapper were in shallow. They would fish them out, then the recreational season would open up.
My boat wasn't big enough to go out far enough to catch Snapper anymore, in deeper waters.
The Snapper boats are of sufficient size that they can fish farther out. They should make the commercial season in deeper water and let the recreational fishermen have the chance to catch their 2 legal fish in closer.
We used to go out fishing when the weather was warm, no clouds and no winds during the winter, when the ducks were not flying. It was a lot better than fighting moskeeters.
It was no problem to get a few limits of Snapper 30 miles out, then come back to the hunting camp and have fried fish.
Now the commercial fishermen have all the good seasons, catch all the good fish and take a break when there are not as many fish in close.
I know it saves them money on fuel, but we should at least be able to fish the same seasons as them. That would be fair.
It is only helping the commercial fishermen and hurting the economy. No one is going to buy new offshore boats if they are not going to catch fish. They are not going to buy tackle, gas, diesel or rod and reels either.
The only areas in La. that are not hurting over this is where there is deep water close in.
I am willing to bet that recreational fishermen spend a lot more money and contribute alot more to the economy than commercial fishermen do.

cmdrost
08-21-2009, 08:58 AM
agreed to an extent..we do need to lower the comecial business' quotas..but we need to raise the recreational fishermans limit/quota...

i give it 5 years before guides and rec fisherman start seriously bringing up matters with the LDWF about raising limits...

1. because clients complaining more and more...and
2.because more and more guides are starting to realize how much of a nuisance these fish can be when tdone your limit..

i have to say although they are a nuisance at times..they are still the best kind of nuisance and tasting too.

I agree with this......recreational fishermen should not be punished because the commercial sector abused the fishery.

LaAngler
08-21-2009, 09:02 AM
what does LDWF have to do with it?

most of the state can't catch within 3 miles

Hopedale Hustler
08-21-2009, 09:39 AM
what does LDWF have to do with it?

most of the state can't catch within 3 miles

well who else is your average joe blow from venice or grand isle gonna bring it up with..Obama?...LDWF has a whole lot to do with it than most people think..first step has to be getting them on your side then taking it to the feds..

Ray
08-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I thought the Marine National Fisheries sets the limits and does the studies in Federal waters.

Hopedale Hustler
08-21-2009, 02:16 PM
I thought the Marine National Fisheries sets the limits and does the studies in Federal waters.

they do...But it dont matter where you are the rules apply the same...not the point i was trying to make who cares wo controls it the point is that its gonna get brought up to whoever it needs to be eventually.

Ray
08-21-2009, 02:21 PM
I did some work for a shrimper in Cameron this morning. He said that the LDWF is closing down all shrimping for 2 weeks starting this Monday.
It is to help stop some of the crap that is going to start happening soon if the price doesn't go up soon. He said he is getting paid 60 cents for 10/15's at the dock. We are installing an IQF system for him Monday so he can quick freeze the shrimp and store them until someone gives him a good price for them or he can sell them to individuals for a decent price.
He told me that someone went shrimping yesterday and the shrimpers that are on strike to help drive the prices up, pushed his truck in the canal where he docks his boat.
They were pissed at him for going shrimping. He said he needed the money to pay his bills. Catch 22 I guess.

SULPHITE
08-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Man that sucks!

Ray
08-21-2009, 02:26 PM
It's like the porch monkeys. If you work, they steal from you when you are working or mess with your stuff for working and making them look bad.
If you don't work and want to be like one of them, then you don't have to worry about them stealing from you.

southern151
08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
You guys need to remember an old saying..."United, we stand...Divided we fall."

It may hurt a little now but, take the time to stand next to the men fighting for more money. Not only will it get you respect and keep your truck out of the canal but, it will eventually make you more money.

I hope these guys get what they are after. Don't agree?...Do some research. These guys are getting hosed.