PDA

View Full Version : minn kota -o- motor guide

fishinpox
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
ok i got a min kota trolling motor and i hate it it never works right and i feel like i have to baby it. what u yall have on your boats , pros cons? any info cuz i considering setting this one on fire and buying a new one

Ray
08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
I have a Minnkota 80 and it is a hoss. It pulls my boat around with ease and practically throws a wake behind the boat. My boat is a 19 ft. boat that weighs 1960 lbs, dry, without the engine. It is not that old, so I can only tell you how well it does for now.
I may have the same problems as you later on in the life of the boat.
How old is your boat?

Salty
08-24-2009, 07:24 PM
MotorGuide SW109

speckdaddy
08-24-2009, 07:53 PM
I have a Minnkota 80 and it is a hoss. It pulls my boat around with ease and practically throws a wake behind the boat. My boat is a 19 ft. boat that weighs 1960 lbs, dry, without the engine. It is not that old, so I can only tell you how well it does for now.
How old is your boat?
ray, what kinda boat ya got? tell me its a fish master.:smokin:

Ray
08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Cobia bay boat.

Salty
08-24-2009, 07:57 PM
ray, what kinda boat ya got? tell me its a fish master.:smokin:

19' Fishmaster weighs almost a ton? :eek:

fishinpox
08-24-2009, 08:37 PM
How old is your boat?

1 year old, i snapped the shaft on the tm but it was repaired and hasnt worked right sence but now im hearing alot of others with the minn kota say they suck and i have been talking to people who have motor guide and love em. it my be a ford/ chevy thing and i may have a lemon but im pretty certian im gonna switch any one wanna buy a p.o.s. minn kota!!??

jahosaphet
08-24-2009, 09:11 PM
i sold both models for 2 years, and work in a repair shop as of right now... my sugestion you just never know... dont get a varimax, they seem to all break... i like the regular 5 speed motors rather than the varible speed models, although its a nice feature the response is just not very good it takes a second for the motor to engauge after you click it on... minnkotas indestructible life time shaft breaks... motorguides stainless one bends, they both fry control boards.... those are like 100 sumthin bux plus labor to repair. they both get water in the foot if the seals go out.... really the biggest thing is good wiring and a good plug on the boat side corrosion is you worst enemy. i think motorguide has more problems as far as manufacturing, like all the varimax contolboards go out. the wireless model had lots of issues, while the minnkota wireless, or copilot really didnt have many issues... in my choice i like minnkota they are quieter, but if you do need to get warrenty work do to it there is no shop who does warrenty work on them in laff. motorguide on the other hand has one in laff. like i said they both break... too bad johnson/evinrude dosnt make one any more....

Jordan
08-25-2009, 09:19 AM
i got an old johnson 45 lb thrust foot control in my barn... that thing is a beast on a canoe.... leaves a freaking wake and a 2" rooster-tail.... im hauling... glass

all star rod
08-25-2009, 09:38 PM
I have a 80# Minnkota Riptide Pro. I have only been having it since MAY. However, on my other boat I had for two years before this one I had a 70# Riptide. I have had ZERO problems with either one. FYI, I kind of baby all my equipment. I know some people that think they can troll thru a reef....

daboatman
10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I've got an old motorguide (1997). I bent the shaft, go lucky and bought a 50" shaft brand new from ebay for 25.00. you have to take the whole thing apart to change the shaft. So when I went back together, I basically did an overhaul. Trolling motors are simple. The problem is finding parts because the manufacturers keep changing models. There are many websites that have parts, and so far I've been lucky in finding them for mine. I was told that I was going to have to convert to the digital speed control which cost about $300. I found an old speed control board. I overhauled the unit myself for less than $200. I didn't do anything with the motor, but clean it up, but there was nothing wrong with it. If I ever need another trolling motor I'm going to look for a used one. There just so simple, at least mine is. I can't see paying $800 to $1000 for a new one.

speck-chaser
10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Ive got a 101 lb. minn kota. Been running it for about 4-5 yrs. now. No problems as of yet(knock on wood). I had a 80 something lb thrust with the "motorized foot control" It went out in less than a year,also wasnt quite strong enough to really get my boat on step in a good current or strong wind. It also ate up the battery juice from being motorized foot controlled. This one I have now is a hoss -36 volt.

jpeff31787
10-02-2009, 08:43 PM
we have a motorguide.. the boat is a 2007 1910 nautic star i believe and we haven't had any trouble with it yet. I think its a 82lb thrust digital and like the mechanic guy said earlier it does have a lag when switching through the speeds. And our shaft it also bent (it was like that when we bought it) No complaints yet (knock on wood).. last me all day though, i think we have some fancy batteries though.. i don't really know

Montauk17
10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Minn Kota is a good bit quieter then the motorguide.....both have there ups and downs....If I were to buy a new one it would be a minn kota