PDA

View Full Version : help diagnosis

homerun
10-26-2011, 02:28 PM
02 chevy hd 1500

what are the symptoms of swing/carriage bearing going out.

mine makes a variable high pitch squeal noise when driving. no clanking. if turn up radio really cant hear so not extremely loud. jacked up back end and sound like middle of axle . not rear end. suggestions.
someone told me maybe the swing bearing??

southern151
10-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Also called a center support or carrier bearing. Best bet, take it to a shop and have em change it. It's pressed in/on on most vehicles. To check it, get under the truck where it is located (should be in the vicinity of the rear seat) and attempt to move the drive shaft up and down or, side to side. If there is slack in it, that could well be your problem.

Tex Dawg
10-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a dry u joint, I think that truck has a one piece driveshaft.

adamsfence
10-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a u joint to me

sent from my iPhone eating droid

homerun
10-27-2011, 08:04 AM
not a one piece shaft. others have said if it was u joint it would be more of a clank. what ya think is that true. i'm trying not to change wrong part.
if the swing bearing ill have to take in because it is pressed in.

weedeater
10-27-2011, 08:22 AM
U joint was a big problem on GMC and Chevy, normally if that's the problem you will notice slack in drive train when going from Forward to Reverse and it will make a pop where a bearing will make more of a whining noise or growl

Tex Dawg
10-27-2011, 08:43 AM
When a u joint first starts to go & runs out of grease it will squeak, as the needle bearings wear down from no grease then it will start making a pop noise.