PDA

View Full Version : Yout shotgun measuring

Raymond
11-06-2011, 12:09 PM
What is the formula for measuring length of pull? Hayden was shooting a yout mod yesterday and still can't shoulder it properly. I don't want to buy one and butcher it without knowing the exact length he should have.

Gerald
11-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Raymond..... can't rememeber for sure, but:

I think, to measure a gun length from trigger to butt; hold the shooter's hand up with the elbow at right angle to the bicept. Then place the butt of the gun up next to the bend in the arm.

If the gun "stock" is the correct length........the trigger finger should comfortable rest on the trigger with the gun in this position.

I have short arms and when doing this for my Remmington 700, I have to reach up some to put my finger on the trigger. I would have to shorten the stock 1/2" to 5/8" to make it fit better using this method.

When shouldering the rifle..... my rifle does feel like it could be just a little shorter and it might feel a little better. It has killed many a deer like it is.

Also keep in mind a youth gun that is a little big this year will problably fit just right next year when the child grows up some.

Raymond
11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks Gerald, that's what concerns me but I don't want him to get discouraged his first season shooting a real gun. Will use your method and hopefully modification of the recoil pad can fix the problem.