PDA

View Full Version : A Tribute to Kayakers

ElectricChicken
11-21-2011, 07:58 AM
:)I have been fishing in my Pelican boat for a couple of years now. Similar to kayaking in the sense that your range is limited, lot less room than a regular boat, etc. For that reason I often find myself fishing in the same places as guys and gals in kayaks. Some of the nicest folks I have met on the water have been kayakers. I have been asking some questions on the Salty Cajun forum because my sister is getting her kayak this Tuesday and have gotten some helpful advice. For that thank you.
I met a guy on the water Saturday at VB named George who is a member of the Lafayette Kayakers Club. He is a tribute to the kayak community. He answered every question I had about kayaking and I passed all his advice on to my sister. He even invited us to fish in his spot when he was leaving with a limit of fish. With folks like George out there, the wonder kayaking is growing like it is. It seems to me that some of what was lost in fishing is being reclaimed through the kayak community. Polite on the water, never intrusive, close to nature and a respect for the resource seem to be qualities that all the kayakers I have met possess. I hope it stays that way. In this world of competition that borders on insanity, it is certainly refreshing!

bmac
11-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Yep George is a good guy. You and your sister might be interested in the Lafayette Kayak Fishing Club. They have several group outings and tournaments throughout the year, and a monthly meeting at Pack and Paddle in Lafayette.

Your sister won't be alone there either; I saw 4 or 5 ladies there at the last meeting.

http://www.lafayettekayakfishing.com/

RagingRob on here is an officer in the club.

Montauk17
11-21-2011, 02:00 PM
I have been wanting to get a kayak myself. So easy to decide to go fishing without the hassle of a boat. To me that advantage outweighs the limited range you have. I borrow my podnas redfish 12 kayak,but would like to find a used hobie.

ElectricChicken
11-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Yep George is a good guy. You and your sister might be interested in the Lafayette Kayak Fishing Club. They have several group outings and tournaments throughout the year, and a monthly meeting at Pack and Paddle in Lafayette.

Your sister won't be alone there either; I saw 4 or 5 ladies there at the last meeting.

http://www.lafayettekayakfishing.com/

RagingRob on here is an officer in the club.

bmac, I will let my sister know. She got her yak yesterday and she is fired up. I don't have a yak so maybe one day. Thanks for the invite.

Armand16
11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
i can see myself getting a yak.. i would get a small green one like RR has but a foot propelled one. could give them bayou woodies hell in that