PDA

View Full Version : Things to watch out for?

ElectricChicken
11-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Guy and Gals,
A few questions please.
1) Flipping a kayak would be the most dangerous thing that could happen to a person I would suppose. What is the most common mistake made when this does happen? i.e. turning around toward the back of the boat, etc. Every vessel has its inherant weaknesses and I would like to know what my sister needs to be most mindful of in her new kayak.
2) Life vest - What is the best thing to use that is comfortable yet reasonably priced.
3) Does everyone where their PDF while fishing?
4) Would a throw cushion be a wise choice?
5) Rods & Reels - I see mostly spinning tackle in most kayaks. Is there a good reason for that? I would think it would be easier to cast and more distance with less movement and effort?
6) Ice chest for fish - I just watched Raginjrob's video and saw that he had a collapsible ice chest. Is that a better choice than a hard side ice chest?
7) Plugging holes in the bottom - My sister went out on her first trip and her feet stayed wet because the drain holes kept some water in the boat. Should she plug these?
I appreciate any and all input. Thanks. EC

RAGINJROB
11-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Guy and Gals,
A few questions please.
1) Flipping a kayak would be the most dangerous thing that could happen to a person I would suppose. What is the most common mistake made when this does happen? i.e. turning around toward the back of the boat, etc. Every vessel has its inherant weaknesses and I would like to know what my sister needs to be most mindful of in her new kayak.
2) Life vest - What is the best thing to use that is comfortable yet reasonably priced.
3) Does everyone where their PDF while fishing?
4) Would a throw cushion be a wise choice?
5) Rods & Reels - I see mostly spinning tackle in most kayaks. Is there a good reason for that? I would think it would be easier to cast and more distance with less movement and effort?
6) Ice chest for fish - I just watched Raginjrob's video and saw that he had a collapsible ice chest. Is that a better choice than a hard side ice chest?
7) Plugging holes in the bottom - My sister went out on her first trip and her feet stayed wet because the drain holes kept some water in the boat. Should she plug these?
I appreciate any and all input. Thanks. EC

1. The most dangerous part of kayak fishing is boats. Never assume they can see you. Always take precautions escpecially in low light conditions.(staying close to bank, travel in groups, have an escape route, have lights)

Falling out of a kayak is not really that big of a deal, especially if you have a life vest on. Always remember to stay with boat and to not panic. If worried about reentering kayak, practice without equipment in a pool or nearby pond. You will lose anything that is not tethered to yak or has a float on it.

2. Wear what is most comfortable

3. Most people do. It is not required.

4. No need for throw cushion.

5. I have both. Use whatever rod/reel is most comfortable. Just remember it is easy to drop one overboard. Most of the time you will never find it unless you have a float or use a tether.

6. I like soft sided icechest. I like that it has a zipper. It is a little more time consuming but fish cannot get out once zipped. Fish have been known to flop out of regular icechest with lid.

7. Try plugging boat. Remember the scupper holes are meant to flow water in and out if needed. Kayaks have different buoyancy, so just experiment with whats better.

Hope this helps

ElectricChicken
11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Raginjrob, Thanks. The advice is really appreciated.

Yak-Attack
12-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Heh brother It's me Yak-Attack!! Your sis!! Thanks for turning me on to this site. Love those pics on that trip the other day!!! Wow is all I can say!!

eman
12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
From a non puddlers standpoint. A orange bicycle flag is great to have on your yak.
In the marsh you can not see yaks in the canals over the marsh grass.
There are places that a boat has to be on plane to get thru and when we round a curve and there is a yak there it is not possible to slow down quick enough to not throw a wake . I have been fishing the hopedale area and could see the flags from a long way off.
Seeing them i chose a different route out of the area.

Ray
12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Raymond can tell you what will cost you the most:
Rolled his in the channel, lost 2 rod and reels.
Pulled only 1/2 way up on the beach, waves rolled it over and broke a rod, sanded up a reel and got his I-phone saltwater dipped. Tackle boxes were drifting down the beach.

Raymond
12-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks Ray, I had almost gotten over my $1,000 summer and you bring the memories flooding back.
Stay twice as far away from larger craft(tugs/pushboats) as you think necessary. Their prop wash will flip a yak quick fast and in a hurry!!

1fastmerc
12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Ok I know y'all are gonna laugh and weewacker is gonna throw in two cents. Here it goes. How hard is it for a fat guy to fish out of a yak. I'm 5'11"-6' and 270lbs. I'm interested in one day getting a yak. Just don't know how hard it would be for a fat guy to get in and out of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmac
12-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm about your size just not as fat (260). Getting in and out or back on after you flip is not too hard. The worst part is avoiding all the crap you all have sticking up all over like rod holders, fish finder, etc.

I'm only 39 so if you are old and fat maybe it would be harder.

At our size you want to get a kayak with good capacity though. If you push the envelope you could b in for staying wet all day because the yak will ride so low in the water.
I'd recommend a wilderness ride 135, tarpon 140 or 160, natIve ultimate 14.5, ocean kayak trident 15, Malibu kayak xfactor or stealth 14, or a hobie outback or pro angler if you want the best but most expensive

Micah
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Ok I know y'all are gonna laugh and weewacker is gonna throw in two cents. Here it goes. How hard is it for a fat guy to fish out of a yak. I'm 5'11"-6' and 270lbs. I'm interested in one day getting a yak. Just don't know how hard it would be for a fat guy to get in and out of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're not as easy to flip as you would think. Like Raymond said though, the wash from bigger boats can ruin your day. They make bigger yaks for bigger people.

Raymond
12-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Jus ask for the Pookie BoTe

Gerald
12-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Here is something to think about.

I saw a guy at a gas station last summer and he was heading out to check some trout line in English bayou. He had "out rigger" floats built that he hooked to his pirogue. He said the plastic floats came from a chair that was made to float in a swimming pool and they made his pirogue really stable.

When I saw this guy, it was 99 F at the time and I was ready to jump back in my Air conditioned truck.

ElectricChicken
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks Ray, I had almost gotten over my $1,000 summer and you bring the memories flooding back.
Stay twice as far away from larger craft(tugs/pushboats) as you think necessary. Their prop wash will flip a yak quick fast and in a hurry!!

Ray, Did it catch you sideways are you flipped hitting those waves face on? Really sorry you lost all that good stuff. I hit the handle on one of my Curados the other day with my foot swiviling around in my Pelican and almost didn't catch it in time before it sank.

Raymond
12-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Ray, Did it catch you sideways are you flipped hitting those waves face on? Really sorry you lost all that good stuff. I hit the handle on one of my Curados the other day with my foot swiviling around in my Pelican and almost didn't catch it in time before it sank.

Wash came right under my azz and happened qik, fas, and in a hurry.:pissed:
The azzholes working on 210 could care less about rec boaters and safety guy told me as much. Parish has recieved many complaints about them, I don't recognize their no wake zone any longer because of it.;)