PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace Install

Finfeatherfur
11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Looking for a little input from all those DIY guys out there. I have all the tools needed and feel very comfortable on a project I am getting ready to tackle at our new camp in Ms. We will be adding a fireplace to our little slice of heaven and need some ideas. I will be going with the "insert" type wood burning fireplace and will be boxing it in with either cypress or pine tounge & groove to keep with the rustic setting of the camp and avoid the cost of a mason.

I have a roofer installing a new shingle roof this week, so one question I have is should I go ahead and do the chimmney now since he is there. If so, how will he know where to put it? Also, will I have some room to play on the stove pipe if he is off in placement?

Any advice is appreciated!

Dink
11-29-2011, 11:56 AM
You need to start at the bottom and work up. I just did this at my house. I most certainly built the chimney before I roofed too......there isn't to much room to play with the piping because its actually 2. Pipes, one inside the other. Plus, when you do the cap, it needs to be centered so it works correctly. Go to Doug Ashy. That's where I got mine, and look at the instruction book. That'll give you a better idea......... I wish I had gotten the largest they had now that I'm using it......

Gerald
11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
If you can get some dimensions of the new fireplace to determine the location of the chimmney, mark the spot on the floor for the center of the chimmney. Then make a "plumb bob" and hang it from the ceiling to locate where the hole in the roof needs to be located.

Keep in mind..... the chimmeny pipe stack will have flashing that sticks out around it. Chimmeny is supposed to be installed first, and then the shingles layed down over the flashing.

You could have the Roofer just put a couple of nails in the shingles where the chimmney is to be installed later. This would make it easier to remove the shingles to install the chimmney. Be sure to have the roofer leave you a hand full of nails and a few extra shingles [just in case] to complete the job.

Dink
11-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Bryan. Have it planned out before you do what Gerald said. I built mine up big time before going up. Bout to send ya a pic......

Finfeatherfur
12-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Bryan. Have it planned out before you do what Gerald said. I built mine up big time before going up. Bout to send ya a pic......

Got you pic yesterday, but didn't have time to reply w/ the funeral thing going on. Thanks, but I need to see a close up also. I also want to build mine up off the floor like you described, then I will tile a section around it since the great room is carpet. I think it would look good to have a tile or sandstone floor in front of it, maybe 2' around it. Suggestions!!!!

Also, the wife is a little tied in a know that the camp will get a fireplace before the house!:)

Dink
12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Call me, you can come have a look in person