PDA

View Full Version : 22ft vs 24ft

Reverend Redfish
08-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Fellas, I'm in a stressful situation. I need some serious input.

I'm undecided between a 22 foot and a 24 foot Blazer Bay or Kenner...

My concern is the 2 foot difference. We're talking almost a $10,000 difference between the two. To be honest, I've only noticed a loss of space behind the console. I need your thoughts on the real difference.... The ride, etc... Ups and downs.

Thanks!
Rev

"W"
08-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Fellas, I'm in a stressful situation. I need some serious input.

I'm undecided between a 22 foot and a 24 foot Blazer Bay or Kenner...

My concern is the 2 foot difference. We're talking almost a $10,000 difference between the two. To be honest, I've only noticed a loss of space behind the console. I need your thoughts on the real difference.... The ride, etc... Ups and downs.

Thanks!
Rev

Rev...
I'm looking at a boat right now....its 22ft Haynie..... I don't see where you would need a 24ft unless a guide or have a large family......Just don't justify for the price of 2ft.....most guides still use 22ft boats!!!!.....If its to rough for a 22ft its to rough for a 24ft.....thats my out look....

LaAngler
08-29-2009, 02:25 AM
if I was fishing vermillion bay i would go 24 because of the rough chop

big lake boat is fine at 22 foot IMHO

fishinpox
08-29-2009, 07:26 AM
go with the new 25 champion!!

LaAngler
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
one thing is for sure, go blazer bay over kenner if buying new

all star rod
08-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I would get the Blazer Bay over the Kenner....The 22 or 24 foot thing I think comes down to where you fish and how many people you normally fish with. I do not know why a 24 is so much more than a 22. I do agree that a 22' will go where ever a 24' will go....One last thing I would like to mention be sure to get a Yamaha 4 Stoke.

flounder_smacker
08-29-2009, 08:59 PM
if you have to money why not get the 24? everyone who says a 22 rides the same as 24 you are crazy. 2 diff friends have balzer bays. one 2006 22pro the other a 2009 24 pro. the 24 outperforms the 22 by a lot and the owner of the 22 will admit it. maybe in big lake you cant tell the difference but put it in big water and you can tell.

Montauk17
08-30-2009, 01:11 PM
22 is all you need unless your bringing more than 4 people fishing.....i would shoot for the blazer over the kenner any day of the week.

jpeff31787
08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
22 unless you bringing a lot of people.. and did you look at the nautic stars?? Talk about some nice boats lol we have one but only a 19ft and it rides smoother than some bigger boats

lavocat
08-31-2009, 10:11 AM
The right answer to your question is it depends on where you fish. If Big Lake only, I would not spend the extra $$ for 2 feet. However if you want to head out to the rigs or fish vermillion or the eastern part of the state the 24 is the way to go. If the Kenner you are looking at is new then I would stay away from it. Remember a Kenner is not made by Bill Kenner anymore. I have a 1996 Kenner 21V that was made by Bill and it is still on the water doing fine. A new Kenner(Bass Pro) would not last so well. If your choice is between Blazaer and Kenner go Blazer, definitely!

The Shep
08-31-2009, 10:49 AM
You can def tell the diff in a chop with the extra two feet but i just bought a 22ft fisherman blazer bay an i love it it is a good riding boat.

cmdrost
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
your looking at about $1k per foot in fiberglass, plus around $5k more for bigger motor.

Too many variables for break down 22 vs. 24. For example, 24 has bigger gas tank, bigger engine, heavier overall, so usually handles pounding better.

Its what makes you comfortable. Do you fish with a lot of people? Do you need the room? Do you mind burning extra fuel if you get the 24? etc?

Ray
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I mostly fish by myself on weekdays. That is why I got the 19 ft. with a 150 HP. I wanted bigger, but it was just a want, not a need. I have plenty of storage and the boat takes rough water pretty good for a 19 ft'er. But she is a heavy boat for 19 ft.
I don't like to fish rough water, but from the looks of it, if I wait for calm water, I may never get to fish.
I have fished 3 out of her before without issues.
What I do like about it is it has a 60 gallon fuel tank. It is pretty good for a 19 ft. bay boat.
I have fished out of a 24 ft. Pathfinder with 5 people. Now THAT is a nice boat. But I just couldn't justify paying double what I did for the 19 ft. when I fish alone most of the time.
Length does make a difference. I found that out when I fished offshore. You don't fall between the waves and swells as much. You ride across them with the longer boats. Less pounding.

evis102
09-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm on my 4th bay boat and my next will be a Haynie Z21 or SCB Topcat. I found the 24' boats to be to big and the normal 22' boats almost to big. I fish 3 to 5 days a week, 95% of the time alone and I just do not see the need for such a big boat even in rough water. I really like the looks of the Haynie Z21 and think it would be the perfect boat but I love the speed of the SCB Topcat. I plan to start fishing Sabine Lake alot this fall launching out of Ellender bridge so I will be going with the SCB. But if I were to only fish Big Lake, the Jetties and a few trips to the first rigs I would go with the Haynie Z21 all the way.

simplepeddler
09-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Another way to look at it..........

10K more is only a thousand a year if you plan on keeping it for 10 years or so.......

Most boats nowadays of that quality will easily last that long, hell most are likely financed that long.......

on the days you will "need" the other two feet a grand a year will be a bargain.

Oilfisher
09-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Laangler and lavocat are right. It all depends on where you fish. If you can afford it and fish big open water like vermillion bay, get the 24 footer. There's nothing like crossing a calm vermillion bay in the morning and wondering how rough the ride back is going to be in the afternoon. It can get pretty nasty pretty quick.

Dink
09-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Rev............On the way back to Marina for the IFA tourny last month we passed a 22 Blazer Bay like he was sitting still..............We were in a 24 Bay Stealth............Heavier boat than he had, also the 2 foot helped................Poor fella made weigh in, but he was beat to crap..............we were reaching to the next wave running accross the Gulf, he didn't.................Tim..............Oh........ ...ask Cabwiz........he just got a 24...........

Dink
09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh..........and as for where you fish.............If you get the bigger boat, where you go fish will be opened up..........You won't be limited to one or two places............Tim