PDA

View Full Version : corrosion on GPS plug

sulphurboy
08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
is there anything i can spray on the female end of my GPS plug? corrosion has started to build on the female end and i'm getting some strange illustrations on my screen, ie, land where there's no land etc...these new screen items are very recent and i can't help but think its got something to do with the corrosion.

any ideas?

thanks
randal

fishinpox
08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
corrosion x it works i spray all my battery post and othe electrical parts in my boat with it and it works great but it is like 20$ for a small azz can

Deadly D
08-30-2009, 08:41 PM
corrosion x it works i spray all my battery post and othe electrical parts in my boat with it and it works great but it is like 20$ for a small azz can
probably the best stuff out there. Spray all electrical connections once a month and it helps

sulphurboy
08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
I've got some corrosion x, but i wasn't sure if there was a more specific product for finer electrical parts...i'm speaking of the very small pin type plug that connects my Garmin 498 GPS to my battery...you think corrosion x is still the answer?

and thanks for your help

Reel Bender
08-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Put a little coke on it let it set to clean, then put a lil petroleum jelly on it. This from people who earn a living on the water everyday

Reel Bender
08-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I've got some corrosion x, but i wasn't sure if there was a more specific product for finer electrical parts...i'm speaking of the very small pin type plug that connects my Garmin 498 GPS to my battery...you think corrosion x is still the answer?

and thanks for your help

You need to clean it 1st

Ray
08-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Red Corrosion X is for electrical parts.

yak'em-n-stack'em
08-30-2009, 10:26 PM
def coke and then vaseline

yak'em-n-stack'em
08-30-2009, 10:26 PM
which sounds like a party to me

SULPHITE
08-30-2009, 10:29 PM
which sounds like a party to me

Thast was good!!! Still Laughing!:*****::*****:

speck-chaser
08-30-2009, 10:56 PM
try fluid film. You can get it in the size of a can like wd- 40 at your napa auto parts. It will clean and leave a oil like film on the surface. It lasts a long time. I was told the military uses it alot

wtretrievers
08-31-2009, 07:47 AM
After you clean the connection, nickle anti-seize on the the connections. Use it on every connection in my boat.

Marshrat
08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Put a little coke on it let it set to clean, then put a lil petroleum jelly on it. This from people who earn a living on the water everyday

My grandfather puts some kind of grease on all his electrical connections on his shrimpboat and never has a problem with them....

Warren

Reel Bender
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
The make this stuff called dielectic (sp.?) grease that is made for electrics and electronics but kind of expensive. The crabbers and Shrimpers just use Petroleum Jelly

sulphurboy
09-01-2009, 09:11 AM
thanks for all the suggestions, i appreciate the help.

tigerhead
09-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Sulphurboy,
How old is your GPS? I can't say for sure but I tend to doubt the corrosion is the reason you are seeing land where the water should be. If it's happening out in the middle the lake, you may be right, but I had a similar problem when I was near shore that I fixed by having Garmin update my software. You still need to deal with the corrosion so it doesn't ruin your unit, but call your manufacturer's service department and see what they say about the other issue.

sulphurboy
09-06-2009, 09:18 PM
its a 5 year old Garmin 498 that needs some work done...i've already contacted Garmin about the problem and they suggested sending it to them so they can reload/upload/upgrade (or whatever) the software.

the corrosion built up very recently but i still thought maybe it could have contributed to some new illusions.

thanks