PDA

View Full Version : moster cat

fun w son
08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Lake Verret area catfish.
Caught on a trout line saturday morning on cut bait.
believe it or not...... the BIG one got away!!!!!!!

yak'em-n-stack'em
08-31-2009, 03:09 PM
nice haul that will make some delicous fillets

CatDaddy
08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Nice CAT.... Cut Mullet? Red carp?....

Hebert
08-31-2009, 08:35 PM
niceeeeee!! i've never caught a flathead over 5lbs :(

Deadly D
08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I just want the head to make a gravy:):) yum yum

fun w son
09-01-2009, 07:47 AM
caught it on cut pearch. that's actually a buddy of mine, he said they had one larger than that on the line but it straighted the hook out?!?!?!?

swamp snorkler
09-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Nice he can eat it with some fig preserves off his tree.

CatDaddy
09-02-2009, 10:14 PM
caught it on cut pearch. that's actually a buddy of mine, he said they had one larger than that on the line but it straighted the hook out?!?!?!?

Cadmium plated hooks by Mustad... Louisiana net and twine, 8/0. If i catcha catfish that straitens those out, ill sell my poles

CatDaddy
09-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Nice he can eat it with some fig preserves off his tree.

LOL.. I was checking out that tree... Looks like it aint gonna give out no figs till it gets some water..

CatDaddy
09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
When you catcha catfish that big... Its best that you clean it and soak it in ice water for about 4 days.. Kinda like you do with a deer. It pulls all the blood out and makes some pretty white meat. It also takes that "fishy" taste out that the blood holds.

Bluechip
09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
When you catcha catfish that big... Its best that you clean it and soak it in ice water for about 4 days.. Kinda like you do with a deer. It pulls all the blood out and makes some pretty white meat. It also takes that "fishy" taste out that the blood holds.

Do you soak in in ice water or keep it covered with ice and let the water constantly drain out...

CatDaddy
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Do you soak in in ice water or keep it covered with ice and let the water constantly drain out...

I keep water in it. I do that with all big fish. Keep the water level above the fish. It also dont hurt to change the water out after 2 days.

Bluechip
09-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I keep water in it. I do that with all big fish. Keep the water level above the fish. It also dont hurt to change the water out after 2 days.

OK never tried that with a big cat.
"W" laughed at me for telling him an old school way to clean those bull reds...My grandpaw, dad, brothers and me would go catch bull reds years ago at the beach. We would take a hoe and scale the fish with it while they were laying on the ground, then hang them and skin them like a catfish and cut the meat off of them and let it sit covered with ice for several days and then cut the fish up in chunks and use it for a stew or courtbouillion and never heard anyone say it tasted strong. It took a little work but the oldtimers never wasted anything..

fun w son
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
i've heard of the ice water trick, but they said you have to put salt in the water????
is that true?

CatDaddy
09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
i've heard of the ice water trick, but they said you have to put salt in the water????
is that true?

I never heard that.. or tried it..... However.. i did pour lemon juice in the water.. and it makes some good fried catfish.... I have even froze them in water/lemon juice....

fun w son
09-04-2009, 10:00 PM
it was a guy in mississippi that told me that...... never tried it?!