PDA

View Full Version : got a yak

Patt
01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Finally got one and love it the funds wont allow for a bay boat right now cause college but it floats and catches fish anyone got tips for a new Guy it will be appreciated

SaltERedneck
01-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Tip 1. Get bungies for all the gear you dont wanna lose if you tip over.
Tip 2. Dont tip over.

RAGINJROB
01-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Kayak and Canoe Forum: Things to watch out for? - SaltyCajun.com

Let us know what yak you have so we can help you with rigging if needed. I would take it out a few times before you install anything permanent. Then you get a feel for where you would want accessories so they won't be in the way.

evidrine
01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Congrats on the Yak! I'm still waiting for the funds to get my own. I cant wait to get one! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Tex Dawg
01-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Visit Texas Kayak Fisherman forums, a lot of good info on this site.

redaddiction
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Which one did you get? I've been looking at a few as well for times when i just want to get out alone on the water. That's the best therapy for me!

evidrine
01-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm suprised Eddie didnt hit ya up with "Pic or is didnt happen!"

You know you gotta post one!

SaltERedneck
01-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm suprised Eddie didnt hit ya up with "Pic or is didnt happen!"

You know you gotta post one!

w t f!!??? hahaahha. i only do that to DGG bc he talks smack. lets see this rig you got.

evidrine
01-04-2012, 02:51 PM
w t f!!??? hahaahha. i only do that to DGG bc he talks smack. lets see this rig you got.

C'mon man, I've seen you do it to everyone. Even me! :shaking:

I catch myself starting to say it too!!!lol

SaltERedneck
01-04-2012, 02:55 PM
pics or it didnt happen when
A. hot chicks are involved
B. posts of "i caught tons of fish"
C. most importantly when Iron Man tells a tall tale

evidrine
01-04-2012, 03:10 PM
lol! Either way, I laugh everytime!

Raymond
01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Finally got one and love it the funds wont allow for a bay boat right now cause college but it floats and catches fish anyone got tips for a new Guy it will be appreciated

Dry bags are not always DRY! Don't trust them
Almost far enough is usually not far enough up on the beach especially if you stop and drink a beer.
Larger vessels don't give a $hit about you so make sure they know your out there by any means neccessary.
$11.25 (West Marine), what it cost to equip with bungies to keep rods from falling out.

SaltERedneck
01-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Dry bags are not always DRY! Don't trust them
Almost far enough is usually not far enough up on the beach especially if you stop and drink a beer.
Larger vessels don't give a $hit about you so make sure they know your out there by any means neccessary.
$11.25 (West Marine), what it cost to equip with bungies to keep rods from falling out.

good points there raymond with the boats. My brother in law lost hundreds of dollars tippin his yak over.

Also make sure you have the necessary items for water/boating compliance and regulations. Gaudy orange life jackets suck but they are visible to vessels. Whistle, horn, or some type of signaling device is something to think about.

eman
01-04-2012, 05:33 PM
get a water proof box for your cell phone and wallet tie it to your yak or yourself!
You get in a bind you have a way to call for help.

Patt
01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Its just a pelican 100 but i plan on upgrading in the summer but its does good enough for me