PDA

View Full Version : Finished redoing our deck!

Lake Chuck Duck
02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
As you could tell by my last few threads I have been busy working on our snow cone stand, Mr. Snow, getting ready for the new season. I started by trying to re-finish the deck boards to get the old ugly paint off and just have bare wood. When a big rotating sander didnt work out too good, I ended up having to belt sand each individual board:pissed:. This took a pretty long time as you could imagine. A couple of weeks worth of sanding after work. Will be covering with a Thompson's water seal.

Another project I did was redoing the railing. I was plagued with uneven supports, ugly top rails, and hiddeous lattice. I replaced a few supports, put new top rail, and replaced the lattice with a much cleaner wire rope look. It gave the deck a more open feel and a more modern look.

Finished the last of the cable and sanding on saturday and we opened for the season on sunday! Yall come get some snow cones!
(first pic is a before shot but from a bad angle, all I got)

cmcnabb
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Looks good man

bjhooper82
02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Looks nice!!

Salty
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
You did a good job there. Now, after all that effort, you're gonna screw it up with Thompson's water seal? :shaking: Get you a good product like Professional water seal or Duxbak...Thompson's is junk. You'll have to re-do every 6 months. Professional is liquid silicone. You can't wear it off.

Lake Chuck Duck
02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
You did a good job there. Now, after all that effort, you're gonna screw it up with Thompson's water seal? :shaking: Get you a good product like Professional water seal or Duxbak...Thompson's is junk. You'll have to re-do every 6 months. Professional is liquid silicone. You can't wear it off.
Ok thanks, since its a business it is pretty high traffic, so you're right I should go with a heavier duty stuff. Will check it out. Thanks for the compliments guys.

Any idea how long it takes for that stuff to cure/dry?

Salty
02-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Usually 24 hrs. for Professional. Surface has to be totally dry prior to coverage because it has to soak into the wood. If it rains 5 minutes after....no worries. You'll have to sweep the water off. :) A full, unsealed container will set up to solid silicone in 2 days. Best stuff I ever used for porous surfaces in 30 years as a finishing contractor. A tad expensive ($40 gal.) coNpared to Thompson's, but, well worth it.

Good luck

Dink
02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Nice job!! Now all I need is a wheelchair and a buck twenty five!!!

Lake Chuck Duck
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Usually 24 hrs. for Professional. Surface has to be totally dry prior to coverage because it has to soak into the wood. If it rains 5 minutes after....no worries. You'll have to sweep the water off. :) A full, unsealed container will set up to solid silicone in 2 days. Best stuff I ever used for porous surfaces in 30 years as a finishing contractor. A tad expensive ($40 gal.) coNpared to Thompson's, but, well worth it.

Good luck
Our hours are 12:30 to 6 everyday.

If I start applying the sealer immediately following close at 6pm, should it be ok to walk on by noon the next day? That would be my only window.

longcast
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Man those frito pies you have there are the bomb. You guys gotta go try one. Nothing beats a snow cone and frito pie after a long day of fishing.

Salty
02-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Our hours are 12:30 to 6 everyday.

If I start applying the sealer immediately following close at 6pm, should it be ok to walk on by noon the next day? That would be my only window.

Problem there is......it'll take longer to cure with the rising humidity at night. I've never done it that late in the day. Always best to do it on a sunny day, but, before the surface gets hot. A hot surface will cause it to dry from the outside-in as opposed to inside-out. That will cause the product to bubble on contact. You'll just have to work out a window that you think is best, but, I would not recommend applying it at dark.

Lake Chuck Duck
02-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I might have to wait until next holliday then.

Hydro
02-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Looks good... Where are you located ?

Hydro

Lake Chuck Duck
02-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Looks good... Where are you located ?

Hydro
We are on Mcneese St. right across from the Mcneese football stadium.

Raymond
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Nail some shingles on top of those boards and call it good Corey.:smokin:
What's all that work gonna add to the cost of cones this summer?:D

Really looks good, honest.

BIG RED 1983
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
deck looks good going to have to get some grub next time im in lc visiting

Lake Chuck Duck
02-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Nail some shingles on top of those boards and call it good Corey.:smokin:
What's all that work gonna add to the cost of cones this summer?:D

Really looks good, honest.
Dont worry, the government already got the prices high enough!:eek:

Tonka337
01-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Who sells the Professional water seal or the Duxbak?

hadabite
01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Corey, how long do I have to wait for you to open back up for 2013? Pregnant wife "Needs" a Mr. Snow snow cone. HAHA

Lake Chuck Duck
01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Well it's time to do my off season repair work. Should be back open end of next month. She gone have to wait a bit. We make a killing off pregnant women lol. Congrats on the baby too!

hadabite
01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Well it's time to do my off season repair work. Should be back open end of next month. She gone have to wait a bit. We make a killing off pregnant women lol. Congrats on the baby too!

Thanks bro. And your right. You'll be getting a lot of my money this summer. Haha

swamp snorkler
01-07-2013, 09:15 AM

You know you a coonass when your pergnant wife craves snowballs. When my wife was pregnant for my son she ate a Charlie Brown Choclate Flavored Snowball stuffed with vanilla ice cream and topped with condensed milk) everyday for 5 months straight, i had to move 30 minutes away from the snowball stand for her to stop.