PDA

View Full Version : Truck A/C system

Red Devil
03-26-2012, 08:26 PM
After doing lots of research and troubleshooting on my truck, it looks like I'm goin to have to change all of the components in my truck a/c system. Accumulator, evap. coil, compressor, etc. Has anyone done this on their own? By the location of my compressor, looks like it should be a knucklebuster. I drive an 06 F-250, 6.0 Powerstroke.

Dink
03-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Why all of that? Usually only 1 part breaks at a time

wtretrievers
03-26-2012, 08:34 PM
I can see changing the compressor & accumulator if the compressor is shot but not the evap coil. I've changed them before & just gave the evap coil a good flushing, unless it's reasonable priced then I'd just change it & flush all the lines before anything new is installed.

Red Devil
03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Why all of that? Usually only 1 part breaks at a time
I was doing some research and there is a dessicant bag in the accumulator and over time it will break putting the dessicant itself all throughout the system. I charged it when I was home and changed the a/c clutch cycle switch and still nothing. When the compressor kicks on, it only runs for a couple of seconds. When I get home, I'll pull the orifice tube and that will tell me for sure.

Harley123
03-26-2012, 08:51 PM
if you dont have a vacumm system for ac units let a professional do it

Red Devil
03-26-2012, 08:53 PM
if you dont have a vacumm system for ac units let a professional do it
I'm going to have a pro evacuate the system for me. I'll do the maintenance my self.

Dink
03-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Clutch will cycle like that if your charge is low.....and remember, anytime you open up the system, you need yo vacuum it down to boil out any moisture.

Red Devil
03-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Clutch will cycle like that if your charge is low.....and remember, anytime you open up the system, you need yo vacuum it down to boil out any moisture.
Already did the charge thing. Charge is good. If that dessicant bag breaks it will plug everything.

Tex Dawg
03-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Have you hooks up a/v gauges to it? What are the readings before compressor kicks off?

mallard matt
03-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Take the pressure switch off the suction side (its a small plastic switch right off the accumulator) and use a paper clip to jump it out.If that orafice on that switch gets clogged that switch wont allow the compressor to run.Thats how i fixed my f-150 it was doing the same thing.The compressor also has to be running to accept a charge or get an accurat reading with a gauge.

Red Devil
03-27-2012, 05:54 AM
@ tex, pressures are good and in the green. @ matt, did all of the above. Even when the pressure switch is jumped, it still cuts out. I put a brand new switch before I came to work a couple of weeks ago.

Red Devil
03-27-2012, 05:58 AM
This is the orifice tube I am talking about. I plan on checking this when I get in from offshore and if it looks like the one on the right, I have a problem.

Dink
03-27-2012, 06:56 AM
I'd say so!!