PDA

View Full Version : Battery shut-off switch

MossLake
09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Having trouble with battery draining with no accessories left on. I was told the memory 12v wire to radio will do this in boats. Not sure I beleive that but bought a selector switch ( Batt.1 , Batt. 2, Batt.1/2, and OFF) and extra battery. Don't like the idea of not cranking when out on water. Just wondering if while running , I should have it on both batteries for charging from alternator of motor (200 Merc.), or just alternate between trips.

Reel Bender
09-12-2009, 07:21 PM
I'd alternate, you are going to get several different opinions on this.

A bad battery can cause problems on a good battery. That is whay I would alternate.

Plus, if you forget to turn the switch off, while using both you got 2 dead batteries.

MossLake
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Sounds good. Both batteries are new Red Hot Mommas, but i agree it makes sense to keep them seperate. Should always have a back-up that way.

Ray
09-12-2009, 07:58 PM
My radio in my big boat does not run the battery down while I am offshore for 2 weeks. You might have something else draining it down.
I don't have a radio in my fishing boat. I like it quiet when fishing.

adamsfence
09-12-2009, 07:59 PM
the mem wire was draining mine i just unplug my radio now

slip knot
09-12-2009, 09:11 PM
you can try a battery disconnect also. I use them on all my equipment and it sure helps battery life. Got mine from the local International truck dealer but they should be available at any auto part house. Also makes the equipment a bit harder to steal. ...SK

Reel Bender
09-12-2009, 09:28 PM
you can try a battery disconnect also. I use them on all my equipment and it sure helps battery life. Got mine from the local International truck dealer but they should be available at any auto part house. Also makes the equipment a bit harder to steal. ...SK

I used those on my Waverunners afetr replcing a few dead batteries.

MossLake
09-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Disconnect was the original plan, but found the disconnect with 1 or 2 battery selector all built in one unit. Decided to get extra battery and go with that. I hate being surprised by a dead battery when I get a chance to hit the water.

speck-chaser
09-12-2009, 09:41 PM
you can get a battery maintainer to keep your batteries charged up while off the water too.

MossLake
09-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, may look into that. I've got onboard charger but have the two outputs going to trolling motor batteries. Need that third output. Didn't expect trouble yet with brand new battery. Dealer swears by these Red Hot Momma batteries. They like them better and are alot cheaper than the Optimas. Gonna try the shut off switch for now. Maybe he is right on the radio memory draining battery.

mikedatiger
09-13-2009, 11:30 PM
I had the exact same problem with my new boat - cranking battery would go completely dead after two weeks and the only other items hooked up to it are my GPS and radio. Come to find out, it was the radio draining the battery. One perko switch later and everything is good to go.

MossLake
09-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Maybe the guy at the dealer was right about radio memory wire in boats. Don't drain a truck battery but will drain down a battery in a boat? Maybe cause usually drive a truck everyday and the boat when you get a chance.

Jordan
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
My radio in my big boat does not run the battery down while I am offshore for 2 weeks. You might have something else draining it down.
I don't have a radio in my fishing boat. I like it quiet when fishing.

he likes it quiet so he can talk mess and i have to throw the cast net for livies !!!!

yak'em-n-stack'em
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
just disconnect the battery cables lol

Ray
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
he likes it quiet so he can talk mess and i have to throw the cast net for livies !!!!

You throw a castnet with your mouth. That is the only time I can talk. :p

Jordan
09-14-2009, 12:38 PM
You throw a castnet with your mouth. That is the only time I can talk. :p

thats the only way i get it to open... the cast net that is..... dont be hatin... at least i can get a 4 footer to open in a nice perfect circle.... yours... well it just collapses ... *****

Ray
09-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I get my shrimp for free. I never had to chunk a net...
I will learn one of these years. I just hate to try sumthang new.