PDA

View Full Version : Inside Courtesy Lights Won't Go Off

iron man
04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 new body and I noticed while going down the road that the inside courtesy lights were on so I opened my door and closed it, they stayed on. Next I pushed the dome overide button and tried the dimmer switch with the same results. I can hear the relay under the dash clicking so that tells me thats its good. But when I push the overide button I notice the lights dim a little bit. I recently replaced the stock courtesy lights with LED strips behind the speaker mesh and in the marker itself and I'm hoping this has nothing to do with this problem. The only way to get them to go off is by pulling the fuse under the hood. I am stumped as to where else to look or check. I am going to a prom this weekend and bringing some others in the truck so I'd like to get this fixed before saturday. Any help is appreciated

FF_T_Warren
04-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Chances are its those LEDs. I had put some led fig lights in my old Chevy s10 and the same thing happened. They were always on. Idk why but it did happen

iron man
04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Crap...if thats what this is I'm not going to be happy and I'll need to find new sockets for the stock under dash lights.

"W"
04-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Call

1-800- Chuck Norris

iron man
04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Call

1-800- Chuck Norris

Go away little man

"W"
04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
I bet you can find a Chevy Mechanic at Taco Tuesday tomorrows

eman
04-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 new body and I noticed while going down the road that the inside courtesy lights were on so I opened my door and closed it, they stayed on. Next I pushed the dome overide button and tried the dimmer switch with the same results. I can hear the relay under the dash clicking so that tells me thats its good. But when I push the overide button I notice the lights dim a little bit. I recently replaced the stock courtesy lights with LED strips behind the speaker mesh and in the marker itself and I'm hoping this has nothing to do with this problem. The only way to get them to go off is by pulling the fuse under the hood. I am stumped as to where else to look or check. I am going to a prom this weekend and bringing some others in the truck so I'd like to get this fixed before saturday. Any help is appreciated
Find the hot wire going to the first light in the series and put a toggle switch in line. This should kill the power when you don't want them on. if it doesn't you are back feeding from somewhere else.

iron man
04-16-2012, 11:28 PM
I might try and change the headlight switch first see if that fixes it but if not I may try the toggle idea. Some people say it could be the switch in the door that is the problem but I will try replacing the headlight switch then rip into the door to see if thats the problem.

weedeater
04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
It could be that relay switch you hear clicking,look under the dash and see if you have another one like it and swap them around to see what happens

iron man
04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
It could be that relay switch you hear clicking,look under the dash and see if you have another one like it and swap them around to see what happens

Already did that with the inadv power relay and it did the same thing.

YellaBlazer
04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
This may be a stupid question, but did you make sure the passanger side door was completely closed too?

Tex Dawg
04-17-2012, 10:26 PM
There is a door jam switch on either side of the dash that when closing the door it pushes a plunger down on the switch making the light go out, if one is bad, it will keep your lights on, replaced a bunch of them when I worked at the dealer, sorry this info came from a Texans & hope no one was offended by it.

iron man
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
This may be a stupid question, but did you make sure the passanger side door was completely closed too?

Yes that was the first thing I did. I didn't pull the 3rd brake light off yet to make sure the bulb sockets were nice and shiny and not rusted to oblivion.

There is a door jam switch on either side of the dash that when closing the door it pushes a plunger down on the switch making the light go out, if one is bad, it will keep your lights on, replaced a bunch of them when I worked at the dealer, sorry this info came from a Texans & hope no one was offended by it.

Thats on the old body style. 99 new body Sierra doesn't have the plunger, its got a switch in the mechanism.