PDA

View Full Version : On the verge of insanity with this

iron man
04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Ok now I am really stumped . I was sitting in my truck talking to my cousin with it off but the key was in and the radio was playing when I realized my interior courtesy lights came on. This strikes me as odd because the fuse is pulled for the interior courtesy lamps. When I pulled the fuse, "cargo lamp on" popped up in the message center. Here is what I did;

After getting home, I pulled the light bulb out of the dome socket so that i can put the fuse back in and have light from the map lights when I need it and not drain the battery, with the fuse still out, I touched the bulb to the dome socket and the lights went out and when I broke contact, the lights came back on.

With the fuse out, there are 2 ways to shut the lights off with the bulb out of the dome socket, the illumination switch by turning it up till it clicks or by pushing the cargo lamp button, but the "cargo lamp on" still is in the message center. Also when I open the door, they go off as well as the radio and the chime works.

I put the fuse back in which makes "cargo lamp on" go off in the message center but leaves the lights on with no possible way to shut them off; the dome bulb is pulled out, and once it makes contact with the socket, the lights this time stay on.

When I start the truck, the lights will come on, and the only way to shut them off is the illumination switch or the cargo lamp switch; and when I shut it off and remove the key, they go off. However when I push the key in, they will kick on after about 30 or so seconds and this is with the fuse out.

I'm sure I'm pulling power from another source but I'm not sure where to start looking other than loose wires and shorted out wires but I can't seem to find any or I'm ust not looking hard enough.

I may try to replace the switch in the door and see if that does anything. I am on the verge of insanity with this. Any sort of help is greatly appreciated. My last resort is a "shop" but that might be a while and $$$.

weedeater
04-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Maybe Obama can help you since he owns GMC

Harley123
04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
You sure you are pulling the right fuse out

iron man
04-17-2012, 08:53 PM
You sure you are pulling the right fuse out

Yes. CTSY LMPS is what it says on the cover and its right below my fog light fuse. Gonna put a voltmeter on it and see what kind of voltage or amps I'm pulling. The lights don't seem as bright as they should be.

Top Dawg
04-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Maybe Obama can help you since he owns GMC

He's co-owner. Bush owns half too.

My truck is a bush era motor and the radio stays on all the time. Even with the key out open the door radio still plays for 10 minutes then shuts off. POS will never own another GM product.

wishin i was fishin
04-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Jez man, i feel for ya. what is the make and year of your truck? i think you are on the right path checking the door switches and they are easy to test. pull the switch and short the wires, if no change then disconnect one wire. if no change still, that is not your problem.

vehicle wiring problems can be a nightmare.

iron man
04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Its a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 NBS

Got it fixed I hope. I switched cargo lamps/3rd brake light housings and put everything back together then put the fuse back in and noticed the lights weren't on so I tried the switches and they worked. Just wondering how long this "fix" will last.

weedeater
04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Get rid of it before it breaks again, go get a Ford or Dodge:smokin:

iron man
04-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Get rid of it before it breaks again, go get a Ford or Dodge:smokin:

HA! It didn't break, Coors just had a slight cough.