PDA

View Full Version : New cca reef

speckdaddy
05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
This is the reef me n my company are workin on:
CCA unveils plans for new artificial reef in Calcasieu Lake
Project named in honor of the late Brad Vincent, Southwest Louisiana sportsman

CCA Louisiana and the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries are set to begin construction on a new artificial reef in Calcasieu Lake in Southwest Louisiana designed to create new marine habitat and support recreational fishing.

CCA also announced that the structure will be known as “The Brad Vincent Reef” after the late sportsman who frequented the waters of Big Lake and whose family has long played a key role in the preservation marine habitat in Louisiana.

CCA Louisiana Executive Director David Cresson gave details on the planned reef to a large crowd on Thursday night during the Lake Charles CCA Annual Membership Banquet.

Board members Jack Lawton, Jr., Bob Bush, Gus Schram III, John Walther and Chas Drost presented a special proclamation from Gov. Bobby Jindal to Vincent’s family, all of Sulphur, La.

“In honor of the Vincent family’s exceptional contributions to our great state, we chose to name this reef after Brad Vincent as a tribute to a beloved son, brother and true sportsman who we tragically lost in 2010,” said CCA Louisiana Chairman Bob Bush.

Construction of the reef is scheduled to start this month and will take about seven days to complete.

To build the reef, workers will place 10,000 tons of concrete recycled from I-210 on the lake bottom. The concrete will be crushed to pieces 12 inches or smaller before it is placed in the water. The reef will be between 5 and 7 acres once completed.

CCA Louisiana Habitat Chairman John Walther said the hard surface of the concrete will allow small organisms to attach more easily than on the softer lake bottom. They in turn will attract a wide range of fish species such as redfish, speckled trout, flounder and drum.

“This project is part of our ongoing program to restore and create vital marine habitat in our coastal waters,” Walther said “Our other artificial reefs have been very successful and popular with anglers and we expect this project to pay dividends as well.”

The $450,000 reef is funded by the CCA’s Building Conservation Fund through a major endowment from Shell Oil, with matching funds coming from the state of Louisiana’s Artificial Reef Trust Fund.

Rock Road Recyclers of Sulphur and Cajun Maritime of Baton Rouge both provided in-kind donations through discounted materials and labor for the project.

This will be the second artificial reef for Big Lake. The first, Turner’s Island Reef, was constructed in 2007 in the north part of the lake near Turner’s Bay.

Walther said CCA has two more artificial reefs planned for 2012: one in Breton Sound and another in conjunction with the Twin Span fishing piers project in St. Tammany Parish.
CCA Louisiana | P.O. Box 86458 | Baton Rouge, LA 70879 | p 225.952.9200 | f 225.952.9204

This message was sent to speckdaddy72@yahoo.com from:
CCA Louisiana | 12241 Industriplex Blvd. | Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Email Marketing by

Manage Your Subscription | Forward To a Friend

TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
Portrait of John Edwards' mistress emerges
Privacy Policy

cmdrost
05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Construction started on the reef earlier this week. There is a media day dedication ceremony today at 10:00 at Calcasieu Point, then out to the reef around 10:30. Any and all are welcome.

Attached is a video that Tim Osborn of NOAA took of the project getting under way. Cool side note is that one of the workers caught some reds at the site loading dock before heading out. A good sign & omen.

Loading of material for the Calcasieu Reef Project - YouTube

PaulMyers
05-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the update. Hopefully there will be a Star winning speck or tagged Red Fish come off of this reef in the future.

Ducktrickster
05-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Get the coordinates speck.oo

Reefman
05-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Boy, I wish they would put a couple of those reefs in VB. Looks like W has another fishin' spot!

SaltERedneck
05-31-2012, 09:28 AM
another spot for the crowd to go... hopefully this will open up a few other spots and minimize some boat traffic!!! I could be way wrong on that and it might just put more anglers on the lake and bring out more yahoos.

SaltyShaw
05-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Awesome......

"W"
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
another spot for the crowd to go... hopefully this will open up a few other spots and minimize some boat traffic!!! I could be way wrong on that and it might just put more anglers on the lake and bring out more yahoos.
:D

Top Dawg
05-31-2012, 10:51 AM
I think it's awesome. Just wish they woulda put it on the west side of the lake...

"W"
05-31-2012, 10:57 AM
I hope the next one is placed on the East bank around basket reef to help that reef come back to life

SaltyShaw
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
I hope the next one is placed on the East bank around basket reef to help that reef come back to life

No doubt!!

Ray
05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Basket Reef has been plowed under, but outboards.

"W"
05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Rumor is the have plans for at least 3 more Reefs in the lake in the near future...

Key to this is to place them were we have no reefs....

The one they placed in turners and behind the old jetties were point less as those areas were already established with reefs

East bank is in real need of one and west bank between Texaco cut and North LP

Ray
05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
The one South of the Old Jettys was not for fishing. It was for Oyster conservation. No Oyster fishing is allowed there, but they catch someone every year dredging across it.
The 3 to the East of the Old Jettys were for fishing.

"W"
05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
The one South of the Old Jettys was not for fishing. It was for Oyster conservation. No Oyster fishing is allowed there, but they catch someone every year dredging across it.
The 3 to the East of the Old Jettys were for fishing.

Every reef is for fishing.....Thats what you fish is reefs...but the one behind old jetties has never stacking trout like I thought it would of ......you catch fish on it but never stacked up for a day to day spot...

the three to the left ....have been alright.....

cmdrost
05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Reef is almost dead center of lake. The coordinates for the reef are:

latitude 29 degrees, 56 minutes, 30.844 seconds and
longitude 93 degrees, 17 minutes, 24.894 seconds.

Yes hopefully this is the start of several more reefs to come.

Wag
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Excellent, always good to see something positive being done to the lake, hope they do more in the future.

SaltERedneck
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.ccalouisiana.com/cca11/images/stories/BV%20Reef%20presentation.jpg

cmdrost
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
My little man and nephew riding with Mr. Prez on the LDWF boat.

SaltERedneck
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
awesome!

"W"
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Going to have to come up with a nick name for this reef...wr already have Vincent reef in west cove....

Lake Chuck Duck
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Wouldnt "Brad Reef" be next in line?

Ray
05-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Spot #99.

Super Spook
05-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the update Chas.

cmdrost
05-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Going to have to come up with a nick name for this reef...wr already have Vincent reef in west cove....

Yeah thought about that when we came up with name. Just have to call it Brad's reef I guess.

Or just tell em you caught em at Vincent's and keep em guessing.

"W"
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah thought about that when we came up with name. Just have to call it Brad's reef I guess.

Or just tell em you caught em at Vincent's and keep em guessing.

Roger that....but Brads reef should be the names

"Brad's"

Ray
05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Every reef is for fishing.....Thats what you fish is reefs...but the one behind old jetties has never stacking trout like I thought it would of ......you catch fish on it but never stacked up for a day to day spot...

the three to the left ....have been alright.....

It was not made for fishermen by fishermen, like the other artificial reefs.
It was made as an Oyster cultch.
There are 2 of them in the lake, that one and one farther North.
I fish anywhere I can find fish. But mostly on reefs. I never said you can't fish it.

Micah
06-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Yall watch the video on kplc's website about the reef? The local legend himself, Raymond Little, has a spot in it. Ya done good Raymond!

Tomball Tiger
06-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Was the reef built with 1 barge load of material?

Top Dawg
06-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Was the reef built with 1 barge load of material?

Negative. I wouldn't think they could load 10,000 tons on that one small barge. Just a guess though.

meaux fishing
06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Negative. I wouldn't think they could load 10,000 tons on that one small barge. Just a guess though.

I heard they overloaded the barge and it almost became a reef.... Lol

cmdrost
06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Yall watch the video on kplc's website about the reef? The local legend himself, Raymond Little, has a spot in it. Ya done good Raymond!

KPLC TV - http://www.kplctv.com/story/18668472/new-reef-under-construction-in-big-lake (http://www.kplctv.com/story/18668472/new-reef-under-construction-in-big-lake)

Fox 29 TV - http://www.watchfox29.com/s/IVCBsNeJjUullJnDbzhtRQ.cspx#.T8-pHewY1mc.email

Top Dawg
06-06-2012, 03:06 PM
I heard they overloaded the barge and it almost became a reef.... Lol

Lol I saw a barge headed down the channel one day while I was fishing. (I think the tuesday after memorial). It lookted like it was in a bind.