PDA

View Full Version : 15lb braid vs 20lb braid

Keywest18
05-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Right now my main go to reel is a size 2000 spinning reel with 20lb power pro 6lb diameter. I have no complaints with the setup except the line is old and has lost its coati.g and is quite noisy when going through the guides. But im gonna keep it till I need to respool. Well I got a size 1500 spinning reel on a a medium action rod and im thinking about dropping down to 15lb braid because the reel is smaller and will hold more. Just wondering if anyone has noticed any difference in breaking strength between the two. Im sure its minimal but just curious before I buy it

Ray
05-19-2012, 06:48 PM
I find the 15 lb. braid works better than 20 lb. or higher on my 2500 spinning reels.
When I use 20 lb. braid, it sometimes fouls/bird nests when it comes off the reel.
It never done that with mono, but braid lasts longer and holds up better on reefs.

Keywest18
05-19-2012, 06:59 PM
I find the 15 lb. braid works better than 20 lb. or higher on my 2500 spinning reels.
When I use 20 lb. braid, it sometimes fouls/bird nests when it comes off the reel.
It never done that with mono, but braid lasts longer and holds up better on reefs.

Well my spool is less than 3/4 full and ive never had a problem with my line fouling. I would just like to spool on some extra line which is why im thinking about the 15lb. Plus im sure it will cast alot better too. And yes braid holds up alot better on reefs, it pretty much pays for itself when you factor in how much of your equipmemt you actuallycget back

MathGeek
05-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Most of the lighter test braids exceed their rated breaking strength. I've used 10 lb and 20 lb power pro, but not 15 lb. I would guess the new Super 8 Slick 20 lb probably handles as well as a lighter weight line of the earlier design. And any given weight of the original power pro has always done as well as the next weight up in other brands braids. Personally, I'd worry about going under 20 lbs for reef fishing, since a day or fraying can reduce the actual breaking strength considerably. I guess it depends on your fishing style and how much your line contacts the bottom and how much you mind a 10-20 lb fish breaking off. I fish with bait, so my line has a lot of contact with the oyster shells, thus my preference for heavier line.

Ray
05-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I catch a couple sacks of Oysters in a 2 day fishing trip with 15 lb. braid.
No issues. I ususally cut off a couple feet when the green Power Pro turns white or gets frayed.
I can pull my boat to the Oyster with it and not break it.

Keywest18
05-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I fish 20lb amd contact the bottom alot, I can honestly say ive never lost a fish due to my line breaking. If im trolling and snag bottom I usually end up turning the boat around using the line amd then end up dragging up whatever it is. Only reason I wanted to go to 15lb was that its 4lb diameter and will work better on my small reel I dont think the new slick 8 comes in 15lb so I might have to try something else.

MathGeek
05-19-2012, 08:45 PM
I fish 20lb amd contact the bottom alot, I can honestly say ive never lost a fish due to my line breaking. If im trolling and snag bottom I usually end up turning the boat around using the line amd then end up dragging up whatever it is. Only reason I wanted to go to 15lb was that its 4lb diameter and will work better on my small reel I dont think the new slick 8 comes in 15lb so I might have to try something else.

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/products/powerpro_super_slick.html

Power Pro web site says Slick 8 comes in 15 lb, but you might have to mail order it.

coastalobsession
05-31-2012, 06:33 AM
I would go with 15lb on a reel that small. I got fed up with power pro about a year ago. I have been using Fins braid ever since. I would recommend the wind tamer over the others. I truly believe its the best braid out there.

Keywest18
05-31-2012, 08:19 AM
I ended up going with 20lb power pro slick 8. All I seen in 15lb was ultracast which I started to get but the power pro was on sale for $15. It still tnrows good but the ultracast 15lb would've been a better choice