PDA

View Full Version : seafood gumbo recipe

jpcajun
09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Does anyone have a good recipe for a seafood gumbo? I have some shrimp and crab that i want to make a seafood gumbo. I have made a lot of chicken and sausage gumbo but never a seafood gumbo.

Jordan
09-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Sautee' onions, celery, garlic and jalapeno's
Boil chicken, shrimp---not sausage
Pick chicken
Chop up sausage, chicken, shrimp, etc....
Make roux by "browning flour"..... add flour to a pot, turn fire on medium-high and add oil til its brown..
After you make your roux....add water and add chicken, sausage, shrimp, crab ets along with onions,celery, garlic and jalapeno's etc.....
Add enough water to cover the goodies (being your hard ingredients)
I Also add 2-12oz cans of dark beer to mine.... makes it have that ZIP
Let cook for 4-5 hours...
Put in a bowl, serve over rice and make you some home made tater salad and plop a huge spoon of dat on the side !!!!!

Hookinelbow
10-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Sautee' onions, celery, garlic and jalapeno's
Boil chicken, shrimp---not sausage
Pick chicken
Chop up sausage, chicken, shrimp, etc....
Make roux by "browning flour"..... add flour to a pot, turn fire on medium-high and add oil til its brown..
After you make your roux....add water and add chicken, sausage, shrimp, crab ets along with onions,celery, garlic and jalapeno's etc.....
Add enough water to cover the goodies (being your hard ingredients)
I Also add 2-12oz cans of dark beer to mine.... makes it have that ZIP
Let cook for 4-5 hours...
Put in a bowl, serve over rice and make you some home made tater salad and plop a huge spoon of dat on the side !!!!!

I'm crossing the border to your place!

eman
10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
ingrediants:
Roux , 1 cup flour 1 cup oil.
heat oil on med heat . stir in flour. keep stirring till roux is caramel colored or darker. set roux aside.
4 cleaned crabs and claws cut in 1/4s.
2 lbs fresh peeled shrimp
1/2 lb fish filets ( cut into bite size pieces)
1/2 pint oysters
1 can whole tomatoes
1 stick margerine
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
4 cloves garlic ( minced fine)
2 cups cooked chopped okra
3 cups water
1 tablespoon worcestershire

directions:
in a large pot (not black iron) melt margerine, sautee onions , celery, bellpepper, garlic and okra for 10 min. add to this the roux , water and worcestershire and season to taste.cook for 1 hour stirring frequently.
add all the rest of the ingrediants and stir in . cook for another hour stirring occasionally.
Serve over rice and garnish w/ a little fresh parsley and chopped green onions.
Just save me a bowl when ya get done, Bob

datcajunman
10-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Ok, you convinced me,, it's gumbo for supper tonight... where can you find some crabs..I had my husband look and look but we can not find any at this time...He may have to settle for Squirrel gumbo instead

CatDaddy
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Dont forget to boil ya shrimp peelings in a big pot and make ya stock to use instead of water..